Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Tips

If you have the same motherboard as me (ASUS-P5G41T-M LX), chances are that you may have a couple of issues with your system, these being Ethernet and audio.

Ethernet

The Asus board that I have runs the AR8131 Ethernet driver and for some reason this doesn't work!

I had to install a special kext file (AtherosL1cEthernet.kext) this can be found here (http://www.mediafire.com/?ss4ewoe6rdrc7kp) using a program called Kext Helper (http://cheetha.net/).

I also ran another program called Kext Utility, which repairs the kext directory permissions after you install (It can be installed from the multibeast program).

Ethernet worked great after that, and my broadband could be used.

Audio

After I installed, I didn't have any sound, the best way of getting this is to install the HDA voodoo sound program. This can be found on the multibeast program.

One possible issue I had was that I installed the very latest HDA voodoo audio program from multibeast, and after I rebooted, the sound quality was strange, sometimes I would ear the odd popping sounds, that wasn't great, so I had to downgrade to the second most recent HDA voodoo driver found on the multibeast program.

From then on its been a perfect install so far!

Hope this helps anyone with the same motherboard as me.

I tried to install on same board too many times and too many different methods.

dinosaur2k right about ethernet card, there is no any other alternative.

for audio i tried VoodooHDA from multibeast, and tried different versions of VoodooHDA, because VoodooHDA makes noise (that is annoying) I didn't understand and couldn't solve this issue with VoodooHDA.. Then i tried Azalia and sound working good, just you can't see audio info at System Profiler. (and i didnt try Mic.In or LineIn yet, because im using Usb headset mic.)

Also used 'tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update' for my Asus ENGT220hdmi Graphic Card working very well..

After all, im getting random error "You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds etc..."
This is happens randomly, sometimes opening (or browsing) Safari.
sometimes i clicking an audio file on iTunes, or just opening (or browsing) folders with Finder.

Like i said at start, tried too many different methods to install SL on my pc, but i wont use any kind of modified methods, i just want to use my retail disc with minimum modify, prefer vanilla..

please response if you can help for my random kp.
thanks. (also really sorry about my english)

ok. i just re-installed again a fresh copy of SL Retail
+ 10.6.6 combo update
+ AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (for ethernet card)
+ tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update (for Asus ENGT220 hdmi graphic card)
+ VoodooHDA (tried all versions from MultiBeast)
-(yes that makes noise when no sound, and cracking for peak point of sound)
anyway... i'm still getting random error "You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds.." (that is happens mostly when system starting at white screen with Apple logo)

That error stops when i delete VoodooHDA.kext from System/Library/Extensions

Now i have no sound and need some help.

Cheers

I found another VoodooHDA.kext which is modified.. There is no kernel panic, noise and popping peaks.
hope this helps for someone.

i got sound working by using multibeast 3.5.2 and choose only voodoohda 0.2.1(the 1st one on the list).dont thick the other alcxx etc. cheers!

try update your bios, mine is 0604.no acpi prob.

The AtherosL1cEthernet.kext doesn't work for me.

I am running 10.6.5 and tried to install that driver, but it states that it can't work out the dependancies.... help pleast :D

Ok I will try and give a complete install procedure for this board
First my Hardware.
ASUS-P5G41T-M LX Motherboard
Core2Quad 2.4 Ghz
500 gig Hard drive
PNY 9500 GT Dual DVI Graphics Card

1. Just set default settings in the Bios and set CD to boot first no other adjustments are necessary.
2. Boot up using the latest iboot. 3.0.3 is what I used.
3. Swap out for SnowLeopard at the iboot screen and hit F5 to search for the SL disk. When it comes up just hit enter. (you may have to use special commands if you have a tricky video card)
4. Run your typical install.
5. Reboot again using iboot and select your snowleopard installation to boot from.
6. Hopefully you already have 10.6.7 Combo update and the latest multibeast on an external usb drive. (10.6.8 is much trickier, install it and multibeast only then reboot and run it again to install your other options). Also download the kext file that dinosaur2k linked to and place it on your external drive. Plug it in and transfer those files to your desktop. Then Eject iboot and your external drive. UNPLUG your external drive! (it will most likely prevent a reboot if plugged in)
7. Start multibeast and select EasyBeast, System Utilities, the first Voodoo Audio option, your appropriate graphics selection (my PNY 9500GT didn't require and enabler at all), Voodoo PS2 Controller (if you want them to work), and kext utility under option software.
8. Then click continue once.... now Multibeast is ready when you are done installing the combined update... do that now then finish multibeast, and restart.
9. Now to install the kext for the LAN that dinosaur2k linked to. Open a finder window and applications folder and make sure the kext utility is visible in the window. Now drag and drop the lego looking kext onto the kext utility and it will launch automatically and install your driver. For me the LAN started working immediately without even rebooting.
10. Go to system setting/energy settings and set your computer to never sleep, and updates... not to update automatically (incase there is a future combined update you don't want to be surprised by a crashed system).

DONE you should be fully functional. Go ahead and run all current apple updates.

Hints
1. If you are unable to boot into install or your install starts to fail. Try changing your ram. I found the OCZ 1333 ram to have serious issues with this in this motherboard.
2. Use a new hard drive if possible. Atleast try and completely erase a used one before installing.

marcox88 i have the same board, go into bios and load optimized defaults

then go into boot and choose your dvd drive as first boot device

then go into the Power options tab and make sure the Suspend mode is set to "Auto"

then go into the far left tab and go into storage controllers

make sure Enhanced Mode is set to "S-ATA" (this is AHCI)

burn the latest iboot, and if the grey screen doesnt change after a while boot using "-x" if that doesnt work boot using "PCIRootUID=1" (type these commands slowly"

that should get you to the installer... :D

Hello,

Same MB P5G41T-M LX everything working but LAN, tried the files posted and still no go. Using USB dongle for now. :( Any other magic being used to get local running?

Thanks

Got it working yippie! Attached is an updated ktext file I got off the project site.

Works like a charm!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip
    70.4 KB · Views: 570
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back