Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everybody, I've been trying to install OSX 10.6 on my Asus N73SV with iBoot and iBoot legacy first with no args, then with the args advised on the Asus G53 thread as the 2 systems are similar except for the graphic card. I have a real retail OSX 10.6 CD but the kernel panic problem appears when iBoot is booting. See the report attached.
If anyone has any idea, I've been looking for the solution for weeks. :banghead:
I'm trying to install it on a ssd HDD formated in hfs+ now.
Asus N73SV
Intel i7
graphics : nvidia
4GO RAM
thank you in advance
Nicolas

Attachments

• IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 896
Re: Asus N73 SV iBOOT kernel panic

OK so I found the mistake I tried to boot on an empty partiton :oops:
So I finally was able to boot on OSX DVD and there began the problem, I followed the tutorial on iboot+multibeast to upgrade to 10.6.8 but I always had a crash on the end of the update, so for now I'm staying on 10.6.3.

For I think all Asus N73 SV, it seems to be possible to have snow leopard without too much difficulties. I write here how I've done it, even if I think they are other way to reach the same place.
So 1st of all if you have a second HDD like me, the best is to remove the windows one and put or a ssd or the second one at this place. In the bios everything should be fine, you don't even need to change the booting order as you can select the booting device during the boot by pressing the esc key. Don't try as I did to boot on a usb key as I did to boot and then use your retail DVD as I did, the DVD won't be seen.
At this point, you are in Iboot where you should see the devices available to boot. Which is if you just replace the windows HDD by the second one IBoot and to windows HDD.
Remove the Iboot DVD from the drive and put the OSX one, then press f5. The IBoot icon has now disappeared and you have on the right the mac OSX icon.
After trying a lot of solutions, it seems that the only needed flag is PCIRootUID=1 (don't forget to enable the numpad by pressing the numlock key, or you can use the & key as the keyboard is seen as a QWERTY.then hit enter and wait (can take a minute or two)...
Select your language at prompt. Then, select in the top menu utilities and disk utilities, the HDD you want to use to install SL and format it as shown in the tutorial in GUID and HFS+. When it has finished close the disk utilitie and install SL as you want on the partition you just created.at the reboot be ready to change the disk in the drive or to select a live usb key with iboot. select the disk you just created, (the one with the apple logo) and use the same flag as above (PCIRootUID=1). Wait (for me it takes about 35 seconds to boot).
You are now in SL.
You can run multibeast and the 10.6.8 combo upgrade, but as I've said It didn't worked for me...

So what you have is SL BUT screen is just 1024*768, sound buggy, trackpad doesn't work, and you need to boot on iboot to turn your computer on, else you are stuck on the apple image (without the wheel)

A last information to avoid losing all what I've done which might be your case ;) , I've divided my disk in two partitions, and before doing a change which might be harmful to my config, such as installing kext I use the disk utiliti to save my config on the second partiton. ( takes 20-30 min but saves hours)

If anyone has any idea on how to fix these problems let me know.
I'll try to update this thread as I found solutions.

Nicolas

OK... managed to get most things working great with full hd resolution , however i would like to know what you used for sound and ethernet . i think Asus laptops have a byug in
OS X the webcam is always upside down. I havent been able to find any way to correct this.

thanks
tony

Good evening everybody.
I've finally understood why the modifications done by multibeast don't work on my system : I have to boot with iBoot, and so it's the com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist on my usb key which are used. I think I've tried almost everything : reinstalling all the system, running again multibeast, copying files from iBoot to my HDD or installing chimera and none of these things work ! :banghead:
Has someone any idea to make it boot from hDD? I have to say I am dualbooting from a SSD.

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

co93 said:
Good evening everybody.
I've finally understood why the modifications done by multibeast don't work on my system : I have to boot with iBoot, and so it's the com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist on my usb key which are used. I think I've tried almost everything : reinstalling all the system, running again multibeast, copying files from iBoot to my HDD or installing chimera and none of these things work ! :banghead:
Has someone any idea to make it boot from hDD? I have to say I am dualbooting from a SSD.

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas ,
The boot file in chimera installer did not work for me either . I used the boot file i have attached below . Once you have installed chimera replace the boot file with the one i have attached . that should allow you to boot. u need to also install "show all files" from multibeast as the boot file is a hidden file in the root of your SL install HDD. make sure you repair all permissions using multibeast after you replace the boot file.

Attachments

• boot.zip
    125.1 KB · Views: 143
Hi Guys!

Great forum! And you guys have been most helpful!

Can anyone advice or point me to the direction to make Ethernet and Trackpad to work? Tried the elan kext but didn't seem to work. Audio works but output seems to crack. Any advice. Much appreciated.

Btw for those still having problem booting after updating to 10.6.8. Read it somewhere within this forum that you need to delete all the graphic drivers(Intel, ATI, Nvidia) from S/L/E, then reboot. Works for me.

marahiskandar said:
Hi Guys!

Great forum! And you guys have been most helpful!

Can anyone advice or point me to the direction to make Ethernet and Trackpad to work? Tried the elan kext but didn't seem to work. Audio works but output seems to crack. Any advice. Much appreciated.

Btw for those still having problem booting after updating to 10.6.8. Read it somewhere within this forum that you need to delete all the graphic drivers(Intel, ATI, Nvidia) from S/L/E, then reboot. Works for me.

use the kexts attached for ethernet , sound and trackpad. I modified the kext to include out ethernet device id. Works great .

Attachments

• 1448-PS2-Synaptics-Keyboard-32+64.zip
    140.1 KB · Views: 150
  • AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip
    70.2 KB · Views: 154
  • N73 SV VoodooHDA.kext.zip
    156.4 KB · Views: 141
bazzazz said:
use the kexts attached for ethernet , sound and trackpad. I modified the kext to include out ethernet device id. Works great .

Downloading now! Will give it a shot! Many thanks!!!

How is the status now for getting OS X running on an ASUS N73SV?

Can i instaal 10.7.1 on this laptop, or can i better stick to 10.6.x, or what is the best way to go?
Any advice, support, ideas would be much appreciated.

tinkar said:
Good evening.
Sorry. I'll post on Saturday or Sunday. I have not had time ...

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back