Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> ASUS N580VD - Display problems (Kernel panic on USB-C plug-in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will do a fresh install tonight or tomorrow but I already used your EFI folder from your first post like you described. Using your EFI folder results that I am able to install Mojave 10.14.5 via the two right USB 2.0 ports but keyboard and touchpad not working. But will do it again to double check.

This are the steps I do:
1. I download Mojave from Appstore on a Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2013
2. Create partions on a 16gb usb with: diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
3. Install Rehabman's latest Clover version to the EFI Clover partion following the steps in his laptop guide.
4. Download your EFI folder and copy it to EFI Clover partion and click replace
5. Delete all files in ACPI/origin map
6. It is already in your EFI Folder but double check if HFSPlus.efi is present.
7. Check if BIOS settings are the same as in your first post.
8. Use: sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction
9. Use: sudo diskutil rename "Install macOS Mojave" install_osx
10. Boot into BIOS and boot USB via one of the two right USB 2.0 ports (If I use the 3.0 port on the left it sometimes freezes).
11. Follow the install steps in the second post of Rehabman's laptop guide.
12. Boot Mojave succesfully, but keyboard and mouse do not work in Mojave and during installation.

Maybe worth mentioning: In the end today I got my keyboard working with the VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Thanks for the Youtube video, will watch it tonight.

I will test if I have the same display problems as you.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext was in my EFI... So you must be doing something wrong... VoodooI2C.kext is needed for trackpad in combination with my config.plist. VoodooTSCSync.kext is needed if you're going back to BIOS FW317 (which I recommend).

Probably audio and function keys aren't working either if you didn't use all the kexts in combination with my config.plist

use latest version of clover via sourceforge

To install the Clover partition to his HDD that would work, but if he deletes the EFI that gets generated and replaces it with mine it wouldn't matter which version he installs...

Anyway I'll update my EFI with the latest Clover and re-upload it tonight.

Thanks for all the help guys! @denisuu just downloaded your EFI folder again. Started checking all kext files. There aren't any VoodooXXXX kext in it, or am I crazy? I will add them myself, edit config.plist and do a fresh install. I already thought it didn't matter which version of Clover I use, I overwrite them with the one in your EFI folder. I will keep you updated

Again, many thanks for the help so far

Edit1: Didn't had to edit config.plist, code was already present. Keyboard was working during first part of installation touchpad not, but that issue was already known right?. For now I just added Voodooi2C.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Edit2: I added also Voodooi2CHID.kext (after installation) to get the touchpad working. Audio works, Fn backlight keyboard, sound and screen brightness also works!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys! @denisuu just downloaded your EFI folder again. Started checking all kext files. There aren't any VoodooXXXX kext in it, or am I crazy? I will add them myself, edit config.plist and do a fresh install. I already thought it didn't matter which version of Clover I use, I overwrite them with the one in your EFI folder. I will keep you updated

Again, many thanks for the help so far

Edit1: Didn't had to edit config.plist, code was already present. Keyboard was working during first part of installation touchpad not, but that issue was already known right?. For now I just added Voodooi2C.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

You're right! My bad I was sure they were there! Also install the VoodooTSCSync.kext!

By the way, everyone I spoke to with the same model of laptop didn't have working trackpad in the installer.
I don't use my trackpad at all so I didn't even notice... The trackpad only works in polling mode interrupts is not working.

In the attachment you'll see a ls of /L/E and /S/L/E for a reference.

You're welcome, Overnightmare is the behind the screens guy that got everything to work!
Could you also check if sleep is working properly for you?

My laptop doesn't want to wake up and since I replaced the wifi module I needed a shutdown DSDT patch. I'll try to solve that this weekend!

Attachments

• L-E.TXT
    667 bytes · Views: 74
  • S-L-E.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 72
So everything went great. Installation was super fast (without any freezing screens) and almost everything is working except for somethings:
- Wifi/bt (planning to replace in the near future) (Are you happy with your BCM94352Z DW1560? Or do you recommend a different m2 wifi/bt module?)
- Sleep indeed doesn't work correct. If I manually put it in sleep in Mojave, screen and keyboard lighting turns off but I still hear the fans spinning, if I hit a key screen en keyboard turn back on. If I let it go to sleep by 'Energy Saver' or fn + F1 it does the same but I can't wake it up again, have to do a reboot by pushing the power button on the keyboard.
- Facetime
At this point I installed Clover so I don't need my USB anymore to boot. I haven't installed the kext or deleted the DSDT.aml file or dumped my own ACPI files. When I have done that I will also test the display issue. I already added VoodooTSCSync.kext to my EFI folder.

Just out curiosity what is benefit of installing the kext over having them in the EFI folder?

Last edited:
Wifi:
If you can find the BCM94352Z DW1560 I'd go for it! Since it works OOB! I ordered it 4 times, 1 time I got the wrong module all the other ones got cancelled after a few hours/days. Now so I bought the BCM94352ZAE DW1820A CN-0VW3T3 if you really can't find a DW1560, or you don't want to spend the extra money, make sure you get the correct version of the DW1820A!! Or you're going to go through a lot of pain! I got mine for €12 and it works like a charm now.

I described how I got it to work here: DW1820A

Sleep:
FN + F1 that works for you? When I push those buttons nothing happens! (All other FN keys work after patching DSDT)

/u/overnightmare gave me his DSDT.aml, he doesn't experience any sleep issues yet when I use his DSDT nothing changes... Still not working. I attached it if you want to try it.

Maybe I'll open a topic about this since ItsJustinSpier and another user have the same problem.

So the laptop has 2 problems that remain unsolved. The HDMI on boot issue and sleep.

Just out curiosity what is benefit of installing the kext over having them in the EFI folder?

Some of them just don't work unless installed to /L/E/ don't ask me why. Trackpad only starts working if I have VoodooI2C in /L/E/ with the 2 clover patches. VoodooI2C and VoodooTSCSync.kext don't do anything when they're in EFI.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    174.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hi, I have the ASUS VivoBook N580VD
I want to install the hackintosh, but I haven't had good results.

Please can you help me?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back