Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> ASUS N580VD - Display problems (Kernel panic on USB-C plug-in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem is partially solved!

USB-C > HDMI:

Plugging in a USB-C to HDMI made the system reboot, this is solved by choosing another Platform-ID. The built-in display still won't work unless the external screens are hot-plugged after booting.

My ASUS Vivobook N580VD has an Intel HD630 so Platform-ID "0x591B0000" would be recommended. However this setting doesn't have the Bus-ID "0x05" as shown below so I started testing other Platform-ID's I tried all HD630 and HD620 Platform-ID's. From all of them "0x59160009" seems to work best. All 3 screens are recognised and no reboots!

Black Built-in screen (Unless external Displays are hot-plugged):

I tried extracting Display-info from Hackintool and:
Copied icons.plist to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides
Copied all DisplayEDID kexts into /Library/Extensions and EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
Copied DisplayVendorID's into /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides

This didn't change anything, I also tried changing the connector type to everything in the list, also without succes :(

As a temporary solution I use an HDMI switch to perform the hot-plug operation without having to physically plug and unplug the cable. This way I don't destroy my HDMI port.

I uploaded a better video in the first post to show the remaining built-in display problem.

@Feartech: Should I mark this topic as solved and open a new one for the built-in display?
(Since the original USB-C kernel panic issue is solved)

Hi @denisuu , Thanks for sharing your setup. I have the same laptop as you. I'm trying to install Mojave but after the installation my laptop goes in a boot loop. Could you tell me which guides you have followed? Hope to hear from you

I didn't follow a guide, I just saw some tutorials for beginners on YouTube and then read Rehabman's guides.

1. You can use my EFI attached to the first post. Just delete the files under /ACPI/Original/
You should be able to boot like that.

Small things like function keys etc might not work but your system will be usable.

2. Ater you're done installing you need to install your kexts to /Library/Extensions/ (U can use kextbeast)

3.You'll need to follow rehabman's DSDT patching guide and delete my /ACPI/Patched/DSDT.aml and replace It with your own. If your system didn't boot at step one delete DSDT.aml too.

I'll provide you the list with DSDT patches when I'm behind a computer.

Edit: The list of DSDT patches is already here in the 3th post: N580VD Hotplug issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for your instructions. I got it working after a few tries and rehabman’s laptop guide. How long did the last step boot macos from 'diskname' took at your install? After 1,5 hour 'a few minutes remaining' i turned my laptop off and turned on again. Then i was able to boot Mojave but it is very slow/laggy. I have not deleted DSDT.aml, could that be the problem? Or Will it be faster after i installed all kext in L/E?

Ok, forget my last post. Tried to start Mojave this morning and it got stuck on startup. So i decided to learn more first before randomly doing things. A have a few questions @denisuu @itsjustinspier

1. Which version of Clover did you used? or did you used Rehabman's last version on Bitbucket?
2. Did you used all kext in the attachment during installation? or just a few specific one's?
3. Also did you used the SSDT patches during installation or did you added them post installation?

Looking forward to your response

Last edited:
Thanks for your instructions. I got it working after a few tries and rehabman’s laptop guide. How long did the last step boot macos from 'diskname' took at your install? After 1,5 hour 'a few minutes remaining' i turned my laptop off and turned on again. Then i was able to boot Mojave but it is very slow/laggy. I have not deleted DSDT.aml, could that be the problem? Or Will it be faster after i installed all kext in L/E?

Ok, forget my last post. Tried to start Mojave this morning and it got stuck on startup. So i decided to learn more first before randomly doing things. A have a few questions @denisuu @itsjustinspier

1. Which version of Clover did you used? or did you used Rehabman's last version on Bitbucket?
2. Did you used all kext in the attachment during installation? or just a few specific one's?
3. Also did you used the SSDT patches during installation or did you added them post installation?

Looking forward to your response

Your problem is that you have BIOS version 317 downgrade to 315 and install VoodooTSCSync.kext to /Library/Extensions/ then you can go back to BIOS version 315.

Thanks for your help @denisuu I appriected it. Downgrading fixed it. it is running smooth now. I have only one problem: my touchpad and keyboard dont work (use external USB now). I already checked with a live gparted USB that they use l2C. I installed VoodooTSCSync.kext and VoodooI2C.kext in L/E but still not working. Haven’t installed other kext yet. I am missing something?

Edit 1: I already deleted both appleintel kext mentioned earlier in this topic. Still not working

Edit 2: Weird, just booted W10 to double check internal keyboard and touchpad. Touchpad seems indeed i2c but the keyboard ps/2

Last edited:
Thanks for your help @denisuu I appriected it. Downgrading fixed it. it is running smooth now. I have only one problem: my touchpad and keyboard dont work (use external USB now). I already checked with a live gparted USB that they use l2C. I installed VoodooTSCSync.kext and VoodooI2C.kext in L/E but still not working. Haven’t installed other kext yet. I am missing something?

Edit: I already deleted both appleintel kext mentioned earlier in this topic. Still not working

I don't think that it's problem but I do have those 2 kexts in S/L/E, I've reinstalled from scratch and just have the 2 patches JustinSpier suggested. You don't need to do any of that if you just take my EFI...

What you want to do now is download my EFI (first post), install clover (any version) then mount the EFI partition with Clover configurator and delete the EFI folder and replace it with mine.

Also take all the kexts from Clover/kexts/other and install them with Kextbeast. Everything should be working
(except for HDMI on boot)

If you don't know how how to do any of that just watch "Build a Perfect Hackintosh - Beginners Tutorial" on Youtube.

After delete DSDT.aml in ACPI/Patched > Dump your own ACPI files (press F4 in Clover boot menu) > Patch your own DSDT with MaciASL.

#Rehabman Repo:
[bat] ASUS N55SL/VivoBook
[gfx0] Disable from _REG (DSDT)
[gfx0] disable/enable on _WAK/_PTS
[igpu] Rename GFX0 to IGPU
[sys] AC Adapter fIX
[sys] Rename _DSM methods to XDSM
[sys] Add IMEI
[sys] Fix _WAK Arg0 v2
[sys] Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel
[sys] HPET Fix
[sys] IRQ Fix
[sys] OS Check Fix (Windows 10)
[sys] RTC Fix
[sys] SMBUS Fix
[sys] 7-series/8-series USB
[sys] USB3 _PWR 0x6D Skylake (instant wake)

#VoodooI2c Repo:
[GPIO] GPIO Controller Enable [SKL+]

#AsusSMC Repo:
[als] Fake ALS
[kbl] Kaby Lake/Kaby Lake-R

#Custom:
FnBrightnessKeys

Also if you completed your setup could you test if you have the same problem as me? Just reply in this topic:
N580VD - Black Built-in Display (If external displays are not hot-plugged)

Last edited:
I will do a fresh install tonight or tomorrow but I already used your EFI folder from your first post like you described. Using your EFI folder results that I am able to install Mojave 10.14.5 via the two right USB 2.0 ports but keyboard and touchpad not working. But will do it again to double check.

This are the steps I do:
1. I download Mojave from Appstore on a Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2013
2. Create partions on a 16gb usb with: diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
3. Install Rehabman's latest Clover version to the EFI Clover partion following the steps in his laptop guide.
4. Download your EFI folder and copy it to EFI Clover partion and click replace
5. Delete all files in ACPI/origin map
6. It is already in your EFI Folder but double check if HFSPlus.efi is present.
7. Check if BIOS settings are the same as in your first post.
8. Use: sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction
9. Use: sudo diskutil rename "Install macOS Mojave" install_osx
10. Boot into BIOS and boot USB via one of the two right USB 2.0 ports (If I use the 3.0 port on the left it sometimes freezes).
11. Follow the install steps in the second post of Rehabman's laptop guide.
12. Boot Mojave succesfully, but keyboard and mouse do not work in Mojave and during installation.

Maybe worth mentioning: In the end today I got my keyboard working with the VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Thanks for the Youtube video, will watch it tonight.

I will test if I have the same display problems as you.

I will do a fresh install tonight or tomorrow but I already used your EFI folder from your first post like you described. Using your EFI folder results that I am able to install Mojave 10.14.5 via the two right USB 2.0 ports but keyboard and touchpad not working. But will do it again to double check.

This are the steps I do:
1. I download Mojave from Appstore on a Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2013
2. Create partions on a 16gb usb with: diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
3. Install Rehabman's latest Clover version to the EFI Clover partion following the steps in his laptop guide.
4. Download your EFI folder and copy it to EFI Clover partion and click replace
5. Delete all files in ACPI/origin map
6. It is already in your EFI Folder but double check if HFSPlus.efi is present.
7. Check if BIOS settings are the same as in your first post.
8. Use: sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction
9. Use: sudo diskutil rename "Install macOS Mojave" install_osx
10. Boot into BIOS and boot USB via one of the two right USB 2.0 ports (If I use the 3.0 port on the left it sometimes freezes).
11. Follow the install steps in the second post of Rehabman's laptop guide.
12. Boot Mojave succesfully, but keyboard and mouse do not work in Mojave and during installation.

Maybe worth mentioning: In the end today I got my keyboard working with the VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Thanks for the Youtube video, will watch it tonight.

I will test if I have the same display problems as you.
use latest version of clover via sourceforge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back