Graphics
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was at Tiger Direct today and got a few parts for my build. I got everything but the processor and the motherboard. The only motherboards I saw there (which would fit my build) were Asus motherboards. The sales guy told me that Asus motherboards were good for overclocking. On top of that I hear that they are a good, reliable brand in general. I was standing there tempted to buy one, but I decided not to because I feared it would not be easy to use or impossible to use for hackintoshing. So... are Asus motherboards good for hackintoshing? Or should I go Gigabyte?

If I did go with Asus I would most likely go with the either the ASUS Z87 A, C, K, Or plus models.

P.S. Here are the parts I got at Tiger Direct. I am almost certain that all of them are compatible with Mac OS X.

Case: Corsair 200r
SSD: Crucial M500 120gb
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz
PSU: Corsair CX500M

Asus or Gigabyte will both work well for a CustoMac. With Asus or GA make sure to get the
latest bios update for the best results. Especially if you'll be using a Haswell refresh cpu like
the 4790 or 4790K.

Ok thanks! Do you have any recommendations as to what Asus or Gigabyte motherboard to buy? It seems like the Gigabyte motherboards either have bad reviews (like the GA-Z87M-D3H)or are too expensive. As for Asus I just don't know much about their motherboards.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks! Do you have any recommendations as to what Asus or Gigabyte motherboard to buy? It seems like the Gigabyte motherboards either have bad reviews (like the GA-Z87M-D3H)or are too expensive. As for Asus I just don't know much about their motherboards.

That depends on what you will use your system for. First determine which form factor will
best meet your needs, ATX MicroATX or Mini-itx. Then look at what you will use for your
graphics. Will it be onboard or a discrete graphics card ? Will you be overclocking the CPU
at any time ? You need to consider all these things first and then see what your build
budget will allow. You can get exactly what you'll need for your unique situation.
Once you've done that look through the list of the Asus boards that are in the current buyer's guide
for this month. Also try to find a user build with the same mobo and cpu that gives you detailed
installation directions for OS X. User Builds also take a look in Golden builds to see if the
board/cpu you'll choose is there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back