i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, This is my first attempt at a Hackintosh as well as my first watercooled system! I've got Windows 10 up and running on one SSD drive. I'm now attempting to install Catalina on another (separate) SSD so I can have a dual boot system.

I built a Catalina Installer on USB using the directions here.

I then changed the settings in my BIOS as suggested on that same page to facilitate booting from the Catalina Installer USB. In my case I only had to change the operating system from Windows UEFI Mode to "OtherOS". All of the rest of the settings were either already set properly by default or I couldn't find them in my BIOS. One thing to note, I'm not sure if this means anything... The guide suggests deactivating "Secure Boot" in the BIOS. I did have a setting called "Secure Boot State" but it was set to "User" and that setting could not be changed.

I re-booted and pressed F8 to get to the boot menu. Unfortunately the only boot option was the SSD that already had windows on it. The USB drive that contained the Catalina Installer wasn't an option.

I'm probably not giving enough info here or leaving out something, but does anyone have any idea what might be preventing me from having the choice to boot from the USB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is more info that I need to add?

Last edited:
No, I gave up on trying to make a Hackintosh. I couldn't solve the problem above... but also I had a problem with the SecureBoot thing. My Linux installation was causing my window installation all sorts of heartache because of Windows Secure boot. I have the windows side of the machine running perfectly. I didn't want to mess that up. With the hours I have spent trying to make a Hackintosh work its much cheaper for me to just buy a Mac.

That is exactly what I planned to do, buy a M1 Mac Mini. I have my Windows side working the way I want and dont want to mess that up either. Not just that, I plan on buying an RTX 3080 in the future so a Hackintosh for this build would be out of the question. I just wanted to have one until I can get my hands on a new GPU. Thanks!

Hi, This is my first attempt at a Hackintosh as well as my first watercooled system! I've got Windows 10 up and running on one SSD drive. I'm now attempting to install Catalina on another (separate) SSD so I can have a dual boot system.

I built a Catalina Installer on USB using the directions here.

I then changed the settings in my BIOS as suggested on that same page to facilitate booting from the Catalina Installer USB. In my case I only had to change the operating system from Windows UEFI Mode to "OtherOS". All of the rest of the settings were either already set properly by default or I couldn't find them in my BIOS. One thing to note, I'm not sure if this means anything... The guide suggests deactivating "Secure Boot" in the BIOS. I did have a setting called "Secure Boot State" but it was set to "User" and that setting could not be changed.

I re-booted and pressed F8 to get to the boot menu. Unfortunately the only boot option was the SSD that already had windows on it. The USB drive that contained the Catalina Installer wasn't an option.

I'm probably not giving enough info here or leaving out something, but does anyone have any idea what might be preventing me from having the choice to boot from the USB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is more info that I need to add?
Have you did any further work building a Hackintosh with your Maximus XII Formula? I have the same board and a 2080ti just like you and I'm having some issues too. I can, however, see the flash drive in the boot menu by pressing F8. I have read that you must use open core as clover will not work with 10th Gen Intel processors.

Have you did any further work building a Hackintosh with your Maximus XII Formula? I have the same board and a 2080ti just like you and I'm having some issues too. I can, however, see the flash drive in the boot menu by pressing F8. I have read that you must use open core as clover will not work with 10th Gen Intel processors.
remove the unsupported 2080ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back