Contribute
Register

Asus Maximus VII Gene - Disabling Discrete GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 7590 - Clover
CPU
i7-9980HK
Graphics
HD 630 + GTX 1650
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

Recently I got the new MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X GPU for my system...
Unfortunately, Pascal isn't supported in OSX or by the nVidia Web Drivers just yet...

So now to get the most optimal graphics performance I can in OSX, my question is:

Can I disable my 1080 via some ways of DSDT / ACPI like we can with laptops? Since I've enabled my HD Graphics 4600 that's on my Intel i7-4790K. I'm wondering if I can use my 4600 and disable my GTX 1080 in the meantime...

If you guys have any suggestions please let me know! Thank you!

-Duncan

bump :p

Still wrestling with this problem ...
Wondering when nVidia will finally implement Pascal drivers :think:

-Duncan

Let me know if you find a way to pull this off without disabling the PCIe in the BIOS first. I have a GTX 1070 and the HD4600, and would like to do the same thing when booting to my hack.

Hey all,

This is an update to a pretty late post...

I finally figured out how to do it!
Well, I technically didn't disable my GTX 1080, but I enabled my HD4600 with full acceleration on one monitor so that I can still use OSX smoothly...

See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/integrated-and-discrete-graphics-working-together.128226/

What you'll need:
1. 2 monitors
2. Integrated + Discrete GPU

First, you'll need to go into your UEFI BIOS (by mashing Del or F2 or something like that), and then navigate to your Graphics settings (mine were under Advanced > System Agent > Graphics Configuration)

Set primary display to iGPU (on mine it was CPU graphics), and then make sure multi-monitor GPU display output is on (the setting's called something like that).

Restart, and then boot into OSX. You'll need to use the boot flag nv_disable=1, and then inject the proper framebuffer to get full QE/CI / acceleration working for ur Integrated GPU (for me it was 0x0D220003).

And that's basically it! The way I have it setup is that I have my primary monitor my second monitor (smaller resolution and size, on the left), and my secondary monitor set up as my main big one (1080p IPS display in the center). OSX uses the display on the left, and Windows (since you enabled the multi-monitor GPU display output setting) will utilize both displays as if you had never enabled your iGPU in the first place!

Everything seems to be working well, which is good!

If you guys have any questions let me know!:D

-Duncan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back