Contribute
Register

ASUS Maximus Impact VIII + Skylake 6700K with only USB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Audio: Works using toleda's latest Skylake-compatible patches (ty toleda). A minor issue is that sound seems to shut off in OSX after ~10 seconds of inactivity, and upon reactivation the 1st initial bit of sound is silenced (ergo, one might not hear an alert or notification they otherwise would if there's been no other sound for awhile). There's also a slightly audible tonal background hum when using the headphone port, I'm guessing from some sort of EM interference, though this disappears whenever actual sound is being played—and it occurs in Windows just the same, so is not a Hackintosh-specific issue. Been meaning to contact ASUS about it, but lazy; the problem source could also be the case front panel.

Can you share your config.plist? I tried adding the toleda patch but I can't get it working.

I had trouble getting the shell script working (it complained that EFI wasn't mounted, even when it was), so I added the patches and kext manually.

How did this ever turn out…? Was the OP able to get the M8I working as a Hackintosh, hopefully running the latest version of El Capitan…?!?

I am wanting to build a compact mITX rig, and I REALLY want to use the Asus M8I with a 400GB Intel 750-series SSD (PCIe 3.0 x4 interface / NVMe protocol / 2.5" x 15mm format) & an Asus GTX970 DCMOC (NOT in the Build Guide lists…?); I might go with an EVGA 4GB ITX-format GTX960, as a placeholder until EVGA sees fit to make an ITX-format GTX1070 (and Nvidia sees fit to write OS X drivers for same)…

Thanks for any info towards getting the Maximus VIII Impact working under El Capitan…!

How did this ever turn out…? Was the OP able to get the M8I working as a Hackintosh, hopefully running the latest version of El Capitan…?!?

I am wanting to build a compact mITX rig, and I REALLY want to use the Asus M8I with a 400GB Intel 750-series SSD (PCIe 3.0 x4 interface / NVMe protocol / 2.5" x 15mm format) & an Asus GTX970 DCMOC (NOT in the Build Guide lists…?); I might go with an EVGA 4GB ITX-format GTX960, as a placeholder until EVGA sees fit to make an ITX-format GTX1070 (and Nvidia sees fit to write OS X drivers for same)…

Thanks for any info towards getting the Maximus VIII Impact working under El Capitan…!
Who - me?? That setup seems completely different than my Maximus VIII which the thread was always about.

But actually I got the Maximus VIII working last night. Haven't tested everything yet, but it seems to be there (Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth, Audio).

I used THIS GUIDE, with the exception of not adding the .aml and (of course) remembering to add FakeSMC in MultiBeast.

I was mainly looking at "had you gotten the M8I motherboard working?", and the such…

I know there are other hurdles with the NVMe SSD as a boot/system drive, and then the whole "Will Nvidia write the new Pascal GPUs into their alternative drivers?" issue…

I could easily load Windows on the components I want to use, but then I would be running Windows, which I DO NOT want to do…!

Thanks…!

I was mainly looking at "had you gotten the M8I motherboard working?", and the such…

I know there are other hurdles with the NVMe SSD as a boot/system drive, and then the whole "Will Nvidia write the new Pascal GPUs into their alternative drivers?" issue…

I could easily load Windows on the components I want to use, but then I would be running Windows, which I DO NOT want to do…!

Thanks…!
In that case you may have gone lost in the wrong thread. You are talking about a completely different setup than discussed here. Make your own thread, if nothing else matches your setup.

maybe you can check Stork's Viii Gene Build. I think all of us will have same installation steps as our boards are ROG Viii. :D

btw, i am planning to use impact now...

may i ask what case are you using?

Worked very well with the H170N-Wifi guide.

I'm using SilverStone FT03-Mini. Not too impressed with it to be honest. It's very small and compact though, but since the Dune Case was teased, I've wanted something that just looks more Apple-ish.

I didn't buy these components to make a Hackintosh, but rather to have a powerful machine and gaming rig. However, I would really like to see if it could be done.

This is my first Hackintosh attempt, and I understand that many problems arise when using Skylake CPU's, and perhaps even more complicated as it only has USB 3 ports.

This is my hardware:
ASUS ROG Maximus Impact VIII
Intel i7-6700K Skylake
2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
EVGA GeForce 970 SC

I went ahead and made a USB using UniBeast 6.1.1. Then I used the Clover Configurator to specify a MacPro3,1 and memory. After that, I edited the config.plist to add IOAPIC fix, SMBIOS and USB fix, and added the USB injection files to directories as specified.

I set all the recommended BIOS settings (they were all default, except I had to specify "Other OS". Otherwise it would complain about an unauthorized UEFI BIOS).

Unfortunately I can't get it working. It will just stuck on the Apple logo right after the progress bar appear. It seems to be a little bit random what line it stops at, but it's usually around the AppleUSBLegacyRoot. One thing I did notice, is that it will usually stuck in the middle of a line, sometimes creating a weird last character.

I tried all USB ports except for the USB-C (for which I don't have an adapter yet). Any ideas what I could try?

View attachment 164087

Hi did you get Wifi Working on yours??

I have the same mother board and everything for me works except Wifi

Just wondering if you got wifi working?

Worked very well with the H170N-Wifi guide.

I'm using SilverStone FT03-Mini. Not too impressed with it to be honest. It's very small and compact though, but since the Dune Case was teased, I've wanted something that just looks more Apple-ish.
Can i have your EFI file please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back