Contribute
Register

ASUS K53E Laptop Sandy Bridge Lion 10.7 Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like basically everything is working, the function key to switch between screen and video out, except sleep and battery info.

Is that correct? If so, Sounds sweet to me. I am usually plugged in, so battery info isn't a huge deal, I really never output to another monitor, so that's cool, although sleep would be nice (but not a deal breaker).

I don't want to recommend this laptop just yet, but I also don't want to discourage people from getting this laptop (Sandy Bridge i5 for under $500 by ASUS is a DEAL) because the more people with this laptop actively working out the kinks, the faster we can get this to a fully functional hackintosh :)

CLICK HERE FOR THE K53E-BD4DT @ $479 (Best Buy)

Hello,

I have a ASUS K53E that I was thinking about getting working with OS X.

Mind you, I'm completely new to hackintoshs but not macs.

From what I've read the Sandybridge GPU is not supported yet, will this be supported soon? Also, how is battery life in OS X? I get about 3-4 hours in Win7 and Linux.

I found a few guides on this site to help me get up and running with SL and eventually Lion, but I want to know what does and doesn't work with this laptop before I go blowing everything away. :p

The Sandy Bridge HD 3000 is supported and good to go, whereas the HD 2000 (usually found in desktop lower end i5's and i3's) isn't.

The GPU you have is the HD 3000, so you are green. :)

For a list of things people got to work on here, check out the first two pages of this thread w/ their installation logs, the devices they got to work, and their workarounds.

As for battery, I would assume it will have less life than experienced on windows (which is what everyone tells me), especially if speedstep isn't working.

I won't get to hackintosh this laptop until next week when I have some holiday vacation. So, I'm basing this on peoples experiences on this thread.

Good Luck! I'm sure if there are some items on the laptop that doesn't work, a lot of them will be resolved over the next 6 months, and K53E will get close to fully functional.
So far, it's looking pretty good from what people were posting.

Hmm, it seems there is a fix for speedstep but it looks really complicated to do. Most of what I'm reading here is out of my understanding right now.

:(

guyz, it's very important for me to fix 1920x1080 resolution on internal display (my display is a fullhd 15.6 lcd, under windows 7 it works flawlessly). Can anyone explain me the procedure to let 1920x1080 resolution work correctly under osx and hd3000 graphics?
may i do something under windows7 too (edid,etc)? any suggestion/tutorials to follow?
Thanks!
k

WOW, that's fantastic!

Alright, I'm convinced. I'm going to take the plunge. If I get this working I will do what I can to help improve SL/Lion on the K53E. :)

@Mirec32 - Thank you friend! I'll be installing soon... :clap: :thumbup:

@kajmol - Is there a "1080p" resolution? It took me a week before I realized it's described as 1080p instead of 1920x1080 in display settings. If there isn't that, then I don't know what to tell you. :(

Hi,

So I have Lion running, I've loaded up MultiBeast to actually get the laptop usable.

As outlined in Step 4 here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... using.html , I should use the User DSDT install option.

However, in the database, I couldn't find one for the K53E laptop. Does somebody have a DSDT for the K53E?

For now I'm going to try EasyInstall + a few of the custom tweaks MultiBeast has listed and follow the directions in the first few posts of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back