2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Plus
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used the TonyMac iBoot + MultiBeast method to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and then TonyMac's xMove + MultiBeast to install Lion 10.7 onto an ASUS K53E Laptop [Sandy Bridge 2410 w/ HD 3000]. Booted straight into SL installer with iBoot Legacy and proceeded to create partitions for Windows, Snow Leopard, Lion Installer, and Lion [wanted a clean install of Lion].
It installed SL straight, no KP's and no boot flags required.

-Mounted Lion DMG in SL, used xMove to move it to the Lion Installer partition, and made sure I was running the latest Chimera 1.5.4. I didn't update SL at all since I wasn't keeping it.
-Rebooted, booted Lion Installer thru Chimera and installed Lion without any kernal flags.
-Booted into the new Lion install, KP'd, and rebooted.
-Booted back into the Lion Installer and reinstalled Lion onto the Lion partition again.
-Rebooted, and managed to boot into Lion with boot flags -f -v.
Screen ratio was off and HD 3000 recognized with 64mb VRAM.
-Proceeded to do my MultiBeast installs [EasyBeast].
-Installed Chimera again, upgraded Chimera to 1.5.4.
-Trackpad and keyboard worked fine with VoodooPS2 kext.
-VoodooHDA gave the feedback loop, fixed with changing the iGain, iMix, and adding Mic to the info.plist.
-Replaced wifi card [Intel Centrino N 1030 wireless half-height mini PCIe--couldn't get this card to work nor could find anything to get it to work] with an Atheros 9285 and installed the kexts for the Atheros. Worked!
-Installed kext for Atheros 8151 for the ethernet. Worked!
-Repaired permissions with MultiBeast. Repaired permissions with Disk Utility.
-Rebooted without any bootflags [except for the plist boot flags of arch=i386 and pcirootuid=1].
Lion recognized the 384mb on the HD 3000 and corrected the screen ratio and resolution.
-Webcam seems to work out of box w/ FaceTime
-Lid sleep seems to work, display turns off and HD light stops flashing, can't hear anything, but I am just unsure . . . opening up lid and hitting keypad or key brings display back up relatively quickly
-New problem: USB ports wouldn't work. Deleted the AppleHPET.kext, repaired permissions, and rebooted. USB working again.
-Shutdown doesn't work--goes into black screen and stays on, have to manually shut off

I do get incessant KP's during boot [anywhere between 1 to 10] when booting with no special boot flags into Lion citing the kext com.Apple.iokit.iographicsfamily occasionally and most of the time, citing the AudioAUUC kext when I do -v to find out why the KP's. Then sometimes, Lion will boot 10 times in a row with no issues. I've deleted the extensions.mkext in E/E and the kext.cache in S/L/C startup. Seemed to help but hasn't solved it. Am I missing something simple here?

I also basically can't boot Lion unless the laptop is plugged in. If it is unplugged, it KP's with the above issues. I haven't deleted the Intelpowermanagement kext but nullintelpowermanagement kext is in my E/E. This have anything to do with my power cord issue?

My other problem is I made a mistake in my zeal to install Lion that I forgot to install Windows partition first. I installed Windows afterwards by booting up with an install disc and reformatted the FAT32 partition I created earlier into NTFS and installed without any issues and of course, Windows became the active partition. I couldn't set Lion as active thru Windows, and I made a dunderhead move and deleted my SL install which had my Chimera bootloader on it. So I back-pedaled and used iBoot to run my SL install disc, and through Terminal, I manually added the Chimera boot loader to the Lion install using fdisk.

Well, this of course corrupted my Windows boot loader. Chimera booted fine and launched Lion fine, but when I tried to launch my Windows partition, it gave me an error citing that too many hardware changes / software changes and a certain device couldn't be written to. I ran my Windows installer disc, and ran repairs and it detected the faulty / corrupt boot issue. I tried letting it do its thing, and it just kept looking for issues for 20 min. I rebooted, back into repairs, and manually did the bootrec.exe /bootmbr and /bootfix commands. Rebooted and Windows was able to boot again, but Chimera wasn't loading. So I keep getting stuck into this cycle as I reinstall Windows, and no more Chimera even after I marked OS X Lion as active with fdisk in Terminal and marking as active. Is Chimera being overwritten by Windows?

Is this is simple as getting Windows to load properly, then using iBoot and SL install disc and using Terminal to mark the Lion partition as active so it'll see the Chimera boot loader? Or trying iBoot to get into Lion and reinstalling Chimera through the partition again, so that it does its thing and doesn't overwrite the Windows bootloader?

Or should I just start over by using the Lion installer partition to erase / format / partition the drives, install Windows normally, then boot back into iBoot, install Lion through Lion installer, boot into Lion, install EasyBeast--upgrade to Chimera?

I've read a ton where installing OS X first isn't an issue, then installing Windows, and maybe using the chain0 and/or tboot but has anybody had success with this? Launching Windows repair and using the automatic startup repair tool fixes it and everything should be fine, but it just loads forever doing nothing that I can tell.

I personally wanted to keep things as close to TonyMac's method since his has been the most reliable and stable to date.

I've done a successful hackintosh using iBoot + MultiBeast on a build that has:
* ASUS Rampage Gene II mobo
* Intel i7 920
* PNY Nvidia GTX 260
Running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 no issues upgrading, and Windows 7 Ultimate. Chimera 1.5.4 running, no issues. Boots great into either partition.

Also managed to install Lion and Windows 7 onto a Samsung RF711 Sandy Bridge, but the Broadcom wifi/bluetooth on the laptop won't work no matter what, and oddly enough the trackpad won't work at all--no matter how many different trackpad kexts I tried after the voodooPS2 didn't work for the trackpad [keyboard worked though]. I'll post soon my trials and tribulations with this laptop when I get a little further with it.

Can anybody help me with the above issues, since maybe some fresh eyes and minds can detect a solution, which is probably right in front of me. Sometimes you get mired so deep into a hackintosh, it consumes you and your sanity and rationale become distant relatives.

Sorry for the long post. I hope people will avoid some of the pitfalls that have befallen me for this build when they read this. I will update as I make progress. Thanks again to everybody here on the forum--this is LITERALLY what the internet is all about. Sharing of information and we all benefit. Everybody remember to donate SOMETHING to TonyMac and the gang for all they do. If everybody gave just $1 . . . anyway, I'm not affiliated with them! A virtual pat on the back doesn't keep their pink boy landlords well-fed and put gas in their yachts.

If you want a successful hackintosh, follow TonyMac's method TO-A-TEE! The one time I don't, and you see what happens?!

There is a free tool that could help with this silly MS \BCD\0xWHATEVER0000 failboot stuff:
EasyBCD. Its like a GUI front-end to the bcdedit command. Edit: apparently it does not know about GPT, maybe in a later version.

I think you can safely re-install Chimera to the MBR, or EasyBCD to the MBR (which then loads Chimera). In the readme or info for chimera I think it says to set activate partition only if windows is not installed. anyway the installer for chimera should take care of it, read the log. just my 2cents

I am looking into partitiong my disk with a GPT partition table
Myself I am very frustrated with the Windows install. It is (intentionally?) braindead, wants to be the only OS, marks GPT partitions as "Microsoft Basic Data", gives no useful info, and just generally makes it difficult for us....

Edit: Windows is lagging behind other OSes when it comes to booting from GPT disks, read more at http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html
I had trouble getting the Windows 7 DVD to boot in UEFI mode so I had to use the oscdimg.exe tool (guide elsewhere) to make one that would boot and let me install to GPT. Tony mentioned an advanced install but mine didnt have it. Even then it automatically assigned drive letters to all the other partitions so I had to undo that first with diskpart (command prompt)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This laptop is now fairly well supported in OS X. gen4ig777 (page 8?) has a better clean DSDT for use with BIOS 219.

I am trying to install Lion on a similar specification Asus X53E.

I used the XMOVE + Install ESD method for the base system. I did this to hard drive in an external caddy to speed up the installation and testing.
After the initial Mac welcome screen and booting into Lion, I adjusted the network preferences to disable auto updates and unchecked the mouse "move content in direction...."
The next stage was to install the 10.7.1 combo update without rebooting.
Next was to install Multibeast selecting "Easybeast" only at this stage followed by a reboot.
After reboot I went back into Multibeast and selected 8.1 Macbook pro in Definitions followed by repair permissions. Next again into Multibeast I selected Voodoo 2.7.2 repaired permissions and rebooted.
I followed this with installing the kexts for Elan trackpad. When I remember where I found it I wil post details. It could have been kexts.com

At this stage The machine is booting with;

Graphics geekbench around 5500 booting from external drive
Sound , but with some feedback. Not had time to investigate further
Webcam. working in Skype and facetime
Card Reader fully working
Trackpad working as a mouse
Fn+brightness partially working
Fn+audio not working
Hdmi machine sees it as a port but currently not functional
vga not working
wifi working with atheros fix kext.
Lan used a macbook air usb to ethernet adapter as a work around

I have a problem where the machine has been losing the usb ports upon rebooting after around 2 hours of operation and am trying to remedy.
Once I have everything running from the external satisfactory I will install the drive in the laptop.

Did the issues you mention exist with Snow Leopard?? I was looking for a new laptop to run SL on and it seems as if everything minus the wireless works pretty well. I couldve swore though when I looked at this laptop at best buy it showed atheros under device manager for wireless.

@kurpot: I fixed my USB issue by deleting the AppleHPET.kext. Something about it assigning / reassigning the ICQ addresses and ports and taking the ones up for the USB ports. Try it and see if that helps. Backup the kext just in case!

@john: Thanks, I'll check out EasyBCD. Read that it is one of the most useful tools out there for boot disk management. Never got around to using it because I was trying my hackintosh methods via TonyMac's method.

@autoprime: I did get the random KP's to a minimum. Now it only KP's on me once out of every 10 boots with VoodooHDA.kext as the culprit. I fixed the KP's by removing the PCIRootUID=1 from my chameleon.boot.plist! Something to do with the graphics solution being onboard and not discreet. Also, the lid close only turned off display. It definitely wasn't sleeping. Haven't fixed it yet with a kext. Going to image the drive and backup my E/E and S/L/E then try messing around with fixing that stuff.

@shane: Never tried SL on this laptop. 10.6.3 initial install seemed very stable. 10.6.8 constantly KP'd on me--I could not get it to work. I ended up installing Lion on a separate partition cause installing over SL 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 KP'd me out of the system. Also, that's what I thought! Windows showed me only some generic wifi adapter and showed me the Atheros 8151 Ethernet Adapter--never saw that it had an Intel Centrino N 1030 bluetooth / wireless adapter. I read that it was usually the 8151 and the 9285.

I ended up starting over. Using MultiBeast 3.8 at this time as well.

-iBoot Legacy boot to Snow Leopard retail disc
-Reformatted hard drive, kept my Lion Install 8GB partition from before
-Set up a Lion partition and a Snow Leopard partition, and Windows partition
-Rebooted, used Windows 7 USB to install Windows after formatting it to NTFS in Advance setup for Windows
-Windows installed fine, upgraded drivers, installed Windows updates etc
-Rebooted, using iBoot Legacy, back into the Snow Leopard disc and proceeded to install Snow Leopard [surprisingly no boot flags needed]
-Rebooted, using iBoot Legacy, into the new Snow Leopard install
-I tried already to upgrade Snow Leopard to 10.6.8, 10.6.7, and 10.6.6 and upgrade to Lion with bridge helper and with update helper but all those attempts failed
-Instead, on this last fresh install, I ran MultiBeast, EasyBeast, and upgraded my Chimera to 1.5.1 and rebooted
-Booting off Chimera, I launched the Lion Installer partition with the -v -x boot flags
-Installed Lion onto a separate partition
-Rebooted with Chimera again, tried the new Lion install, and got a KP
-I already knew this would be an issue, so I booted using Chimera back into the Lion Installer and installed Lion ON TOP of the new Lion install that I just did
-Rebooted, and using Chimera again booted into the new Lion install with the -v -x boot flags and I was able to get in
-Ran MultiBeast, EasyBeast, Utilities / Repair Permissions, VoodooHDA 7.2 kext, VoodooPS2 kext, MacBookPro 8,1 definition, and also used KextBeast to install my Atheros 8252 and 9285 ethernet / wireless card kexts, and also made my augmentations to the info.plist for the VoodooHDA [iMix, iGain, Mic changes to fix the feedback / larsen issue] and reinstalled with KextBeast
-Removed AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E because it disabled my USB in the past, even when running the USBRollback in MultiBeast
-Repair permissions with Disk Utility to be safe
-Rebooted
-I booted with no KP's and no boot flags [except for 32bit mode arch=x386 in the boot.plist] into Lion with full resolution and correct screen ratio with multiple display resolution choices
-Lion recognizes the HD 3000 with its 384mb of RAM
-Mic, sound,audio I/O port, USB, graphics QI/CE, keyboard, trackpad [as mouse], camera, ethernet, wifi, DVD trey, all work
-Sleep doesn't work, and shutdown doesn't work properly--have to do a hard powerdown [going to get to working on this soon]
-Haven't tested out the HDMI out yet, and will try out the battery kext soon as well
-Installed MS Office 2011, iWorks, Paragon's NTFS for Mac [lets you write at near-native speeds to NTFS drives!] and all of this is snappy and works great!

Sorry I didn't post back earlier--was starting to test out the new MultiBeast 3.9 and the 4.01.

I'll keep y'all posted on this build.

I'm working on hackintoshing another laptop: Samsung RF711. Another Sandy Bridge with an i5 and HD 3000 graphics. I am having problems getting Windows on it because of the GPT error! Anybody have any insight? I'll start another thread on this laptop as I go.

BTW the GPT error when installing Windows on the other laptop came from needing to install Windows 7 within the FIRST 3 PARTITIONS of the hard drive. I was trying to install it on partition 4 since I had the Snow Leopard, Lion, Lion Installer partitions ahead of it.

@sezar: I don't know about Intel GMA HD graphics. Last I checked that was poorly supported and I personally haven't tried a hackintosh on that. I would look for a more compatible model. The ASUS K53E with the HD 3000 was actually pretty easy to do in hindsight and works great. Installed the lionbattery.kext and that's working pretty well. Need to try and figure out the sleep / shutdown functions now . . .

Recommend ? Well, someone will have to fix the DSDT or this
wil not work:
1. CPU power management, Speedstep (runs always at max)
2. Hotkeys
3. Atheros wifi detected as Airport
4. Sleep / restart
5. ..

Haven't had time to test SL/Lion lately but I suspect this also applies to K53E/X53E:
Adam1203 said:
ASUS boards lock a bit that the OS tries to write to when posting C-States.

Try this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=258611
You'll need to patch your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (just follow Flaked's instructions)
Hope this helps ya

Oh and about the touchpad buttons - they are a bit loud but you can just tap. Good keyboard, overall build quality, price/performance ratio.

in DSDTEditor, DSDT Auto-Patcher, or olarila there's a patch for K53E. Patches relevant for Notebook Core i Sandy Bridge.

iaslMe : 20110623 intel compiler

I now have:
speed_stepper patched AICPUPM
MacBookPro8,1 definition and .B0E.
SL partition: Chim 1.5.4
Lion partition: Cham 2.1svn (Chameleon Wizard 3.3), /S/L/E: AtherosL1cEthernet, FakeSMC, VoPS2Contr (plugins PS2Trackpad PS2Keyboard PS2Mouse), VoHDA 2.7.3.
/Extra/Extensions is empty for both partitions.

Helpful DSDT edits from blueking (HP ProBook 4530s), MBA2011

EDIT: For SL, removed VoodooHDA, patched 10.6.8 AppleHDA with this: perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xd4\x11|\x69\x02\xec\x10|g' AppleHDA . Added custom Platforms.xml and layout269.xml and HardwareConfigDriver Info.plist

EDIT: gen4ig777 has a better clean DSDT so use that instead, after updating BIOS to 219.

john738411 said:
in DSDTEditor, DSDT Auto-Patcher, or olarila there's a patch for K53E. Patches relevant for Notebook Core i Sandy Bridge.

iaslMe : 20110623 intel compiler

I now have:
speed_stepper patched AICPUPM
MacBookPro8,1 definition and .B0E.
SL: Chim 1.5.4
Lion: Cham 2.1svn (Chameleon Wizard 3.3), /S/L/E: AtherosL1cEthernet, FakeSMC, VoPS2Contr (plugins PS2Trackpad PS2Keyboard PS2Mouse), VoHDA 2.7.3
Helpful DSDT edits from blueking (HP ProBook 4530s), MBA2011
I'm trying to get sleep, speedstep and proper shutdown on my K53SC, same motherboard as the K53E.
Are the DSDT edits from blueking you mention already in the patch available on olarila?
The MacBookPro8,1 definition I already have, but what is the ".B0E" you mention?
I have a working install using easybeast but after compiling my patched DSDT are there any kexts installed by easybeast that I need to remove to get things working except for removing NullPowerMan...kext and patching AICPUPM for speedstepper?

No I think the olarila patch has everything you need to get shutdown and restart ++ working. With proper DSDT in place, remove EvOreboot, RTC kexts, ??AppleACPIPS2Nub, ApplePS2 (you must then be using VoodooPS2Controller). Unsure about the rest.

I'm not sure if it matters but I also edited these:
AC0->ADP1
GFX0->IGPU
WLAN->APRT
Darwin 0x2710

FN keys messed up, no Bluetooth. But overall it works ok :rolleyes:

Dunno about Easybeast... I have only mentioned kexts in /S/L/E , moved AppleHDA (it panics?) out of the way. No CPU monitors (is it safe for stability?). Nothing in /Extra/Extensions.
Try unpkg on EasyBeast to see what files it contains

.B0E found in Chameleon Wizard smbios, but if yours works fine then why change it :)
Speedstep is handled automatically with AICPUPM?? Correct me if I am wrong...
EDIT: MSRDumper for 5 minutes gave PStatesReached: 8 14 17 21. CoreMulti 8 14 17 21 First just 8 and then up to 21 after some load.

EDIT: Thanks to tinkar on this forum for posting about SnowLeopard and HD3000 DevID 0116 revision 09 with this in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:
Code:
<key>device-properties</key>  <string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e0000004100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000001800000030490111111108000001f01f01000000
10070000</string>
   <key>AAPL,os-info</key>
   <string>30490111111108000001f01f0100000010070000</string>
Now picks up the EDID (no need for forced), resolution 1366x768 and allow QE/CI but some lines across the screen on the wallpaper. All with 10.6.8 stock AppleIntel kexts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back