Contribute
Register

ASUS K501UW-AB78 Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First you need to decide if you need discrete graphics in macOS/OS X.

If you decide you need that... then you need to look for a laptop with supported Nvidia graphics and *only* Nvidia graphics, not dual GPU/Optimus.
Keep in mind that such laptops are rare, generally more expensive (tend to be gaming or "workstation" laptops), and more difficult to get working properly.

If you decide you do not need discrete graphics in macOS/OS X, then you can pick any laptop that has Intel HD, or dual-GPU Intel HD+Nvidia or Intel HD+AMD. You would be able to use Intel HD on macOS/OS X, and both on Windows.
So, I don't need graphics switching - but I would assume purchasing a laptop with the GPU I want, that that would be the default system GPU to be used, right (and if that's the case won't this ASUS work)?

Last edited:
but I would assume purchasing a laptop with the GPU I want, that that would be the default system GPU to be used, right?

I don't know what you mean.
If the system is dual-GPU Nvidia Optimus, you simply cannot use the Nvidia in OS X/macOS.

I don't know what you mean.
If the system is dual-GPU Nvidia Optimus, you simply cannot use the Nvidia in OS X/macOS.
Thanks, I have better understanding for why this GPU won't work after doing some more homework (found this helpful https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus) - sure hope Apple's move to develop their own GPU doesn't mess up our Hackintosh world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back