Contribute
Register

ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solved! :idea:

I already tried to implement the .aml one by one, restarting every time, in "PCI" everything shows fine, when I insert the Wifi-Bluetooth card, the thunderbolr disappears, it doesn't matter if I have the .aml in patched, if I don't have it, If it is configured or not, it is very strange but I have solved it. I have removed my Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 and changed it to my old Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 580, the latter is less thick and allows me to use the PCIEX16_2 slot, then:

PCIEX16_1 - Sapphire Nitro + Radeon 580
PCIEX16_2 - WiFi / Bluetooth card
PCIEX16_3 - Asus Hyper x16 V2 (4x M.2)
PCIEX16_4 - Asus Thunderbolt EX3

Everything is working perfectly :lol: , just by changing the Wi-Fi card from Slot pci_2 to PCIEX16_2, correcting the .aml and it will work! :crazy:
Something happens to me with the slot pci_2, I do not know if it will be general or it is something of my motherboard, but the good thing is that I have it solved, the bad thing that I have degraded from the graphics card, I will have to sell both and go for Radeon VII... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Great, I'm happy if it works like it should :clap:
Radeon VII it's something what I think about since lunch, but finally I was thinking - for this moment I really don't need that, so it's not worth to change from Vega 64 (if you don't have big fat card :p)

I think I will put back TB3 tomorrow so with WIFI/BT, Asus card and TB3 - I will have few minutes of crazy work, but on the same time it will be good moments for few additional tests with TB3 and ASUS Hyper placement :)
As @Loloflatsix the weather is very baaaad (in my living place too), so I'm done for today.

In continuity of investigations on the possibilities of PCIE slots :

So this should be a bios configuration problem or maybe a hardware problem in this case is there a model of X299 motherboard compatible with :
- PCIE-16X-1 first VEGA56 running at 16
- PCIE-16X-3 second VEGA56 running at 8
- PCIE-16X-2 the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card (V2) with 4 x NVMe SSDs running at 16
- PCIE-16X-4 the TBEX3 running at 4
The total number of PCI lanes is 44 according to my processor i9-7940X

That is my question for the moment ?

Last edited:
In continuity of investigations on the possibilities of PCIE slots :

So this should be a bios configuration problem or maybe a hardware problem in this case is there a model of X299 motherboard compatible with :
- PCIE-16X-1 first VEGA56 running at 16
- PCIE-16X-3 second VEGA56 running at 8
- PCIE-16X-2 the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card (V2) with 4 x NVMe SSDs running at 16
- PCIE-16X-4 the TBEX3 running at 4
The total number of PCI lanes is 44 according to my processor i9-7940X

That is my question for the moment ?
Hello @Loloflatsix :)
I wasn't available yesterday, so I will answer yes and no - on the same time :)
That whole history with PCI lanes is a little bit more complicated...
but without going in details I will say: for me your actual config mentioned in last post is perfect for me :)

BTW: I don't need TB3 now, but I wanted to connect it again only for few tests...
I will see how my day will give me a chance to do it... but most important for me
was creating OpenCore config for Catalina, based on that one from Mojave OC cfg - see how it works
and share more information about that - especially for users with our ASUS M2 X16 cards.

Let me know if now your PCI list is done with all modified ssdt, if not we will fix it :)
Have a good day!

Hi @Loloflatsix and @mgregrs,

Finding this thread has given me hope! I think I'm a few steps behind you guys though.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPUi9 - 7900X
GTX 1070ti
Running High Sierra

I've successfully had the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card running with a single 970 evo in it for over a year now as well as another nvme on the Motherboard . When setting up my Build, I followed the instructions of @kgp here. I didn't actually need to make any further modifications to get the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card running with the single nvme.

I've just tried adding a couple more drives, one on the other Motherboard slot and a second on the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16.

Initially, I had the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 installed on PCIE-16X-4. When this was the case, I could only see the nvme installed in slot 2 of the PCIE-16X-4.

I then, moved the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 to PCIE-16X-2. In this situation no nvmes were visible.

Finally, and currently, the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 is in PCIE-16X-3. Now, only the nvme in slot 4 is visible.

With each placement of the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16, I checked whether the nvmes were visible in BIOS and also Windows. The results were the same as in OSX.

I'm therefore thinking that I need to adjust BIOS settings and / or the placement of the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 before I can start to get both drives working on OSX. Would you agree? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MrT

Hi @Loloflatsix and @mgregrs,

Finding this thread has given me hope! I think I'm a few steps behind you guys though.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPUi9 - 7900X
GTX 1070ti
Running High Sierra

I've successfully had the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card running with a single 970 evo in it for over a year now as well as another nvme on the Motherboard . When setting up my Build, I followed the instructions of @kgp here. I didn't actually need to make any further modifications to get the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card running with the single nvme.

I've just tried adding a couple more drives, one on the other Motherboard slot and a second on the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16.

Initially, I had the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 installed on PCIE-16X-4. When this was the case, I could only see the nvme installed in slot 2 of the PCIE-16X-4.

I then, moved the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 to PCIE-16X-2. In this situation no nvmes were visible.

Finally, and currently, the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 is in PCIE-16X-3. Now, only the nvme in slot 4 is visible.

With each placement of the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16, I checked whether the nvmes were visible in BIOS and also Windows. The results were the same as in OSX.

I'm therefore thinking that I need to adjust BIOS settings and / or the placement of the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 before I can start to get both drives working on OSX. Would you agree? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MrT

I did some research about the ASUS Hyper M.2.X16 card V2 after encountering problems.
So there is not a lot of information about it and the review I read, were not convincing about configuration or settings..
About bios settings I found in PRIME X299-DELUXE User's Manual Chapter 4 - page 10:
" If you plan on using the CPU RAID configuration spanned across different PCIE slots as OS drives, please install the Hyper M.2 X16 Cards to PCIEX16_2 (x4 mode) and PCIEX16_4 (x8 mode) slots."

In the guide bellow :
Go to BIOS -> Advanced -> CPU Storage Configuration
Then choose placement of your ASUS Hyper X16 M.2 card
PCIEX16_1
PCIEX16_2
PCIEX16_3
PCIEX16_4 - In my case (Slot 5) -> then choose your option from list and click on HYPER M.2 X16 (data)

If you did not initialize your NVme before at booting MacOs will ask you.

Last edited:
I did some research about the ASUS Hyper M.2.X16 card V2 after encountering problems.
So there is not a lot of information about it and the review I read, were not convincing about configuration or settings..
About bios settings I found in PRIME X299-DELUXE User's Manual Chapter 4 - page 10:
" If you plan on using the CPU RAID configuration spanned across different PCIE slots as OS drives, please install the Hyper M.2 X16 Cards to PCIEX16_2 (x4 mode) and PCIEX16_4 (x8 mode) slots."

In the guide bellow :
PCIEX16_1
PCIEX16_2
PCIEX16_3
PCIEX16_4 - In my case (Slot 5) -> then choose your option from list and click on HYPER M.2 X16 (data)

If you did not initialize your NVme before at booting MacOs will ask you.

Thanks @Loloflatsix!

Both drives are now working. I just needed to select them in BIOS and they're working out of the box on PCIEX16_3. The disk speeds are as follows. Do they look normal to you?

Thanks again!!!

DiskSpeedTest 960 evo.png

DiskSpeedTest sx 8200.png

Last edited:
I bought this thinking I could use in my Z370M-d3h motherboard with a I7-8700k. It works but only one NVME is available. After much experimentation and contacting ASUS I found that this board needs 4 lanes on the PCIe for every drive. So I stuck my RX580 in the X4 slot (it works just as fast) thinking I would have at least 3 lanes in the X16 slot. Then found out that the motherboard needs to support PCIe bifurcation for the card to work. The 1TB NVME runs cool on the card which is a plus since the ones on the motherboard run 15deg hotter even with heatsinks. There is a nice page on the INTEL site with a filter for PCIe Lanes https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...l?productType=873&3_NumPCIExpressPorts-Min=16
Looks as though I will wait until the next generation chips get cheap enough to update. PCIe 4 ?

I bought this thinking I could use in my Z370M-d3h motherboard with a I7-8700k. It works but only one NVME is available. After much experimentation and contacting ASUS I found that this board needs 4 lanes on the PCIe for every drive. So I stuck my RX580 in the X4 slot (it works just as fast) thinking I would have at least 3 lanes in the X16 slot. Then found out that the motherboard needs to support PCIe bifurcation for the card to work. The 1TB NVME runs cool on the card which is a plus since the ones on the motherboard run 15deg hotter even with heatsinks. There is a nice page on the INTEL site with a filter for PCIe Lanes https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...l?productType=873&3_NumPCIExpressPorts-Min=16
Looks as though I will wait until the next generation chips get cheap enough to update. PCIe 4 ?
Yes you need 16 PCIE lanes so 4x4 for four NVme SSDs on your Hyper M2 card.
Recently, some manufacturers like Gigabyte allow PCIE bifurcation in the bios parameters : PCIe bifurcation refers to splitting 1 PCIe Port into 2 or more with smaller lane width you can therefore select the PCIE location where you must install the Hyper M2 for example, for full support.

Hi All!

After little research (everywhere), I couldn't find any information about working ASUS Hyper M.2 V1 or V2 card.
on HS or Mojave, so I bought one, to try it and share my experience.

1) Main idea
2) Quick presentation
3) Quick performance test
4) BIOS configuration

- 4a) Data mode
- 4b) RAID config.
5) 10.14 Mojave implementation
- 5a) 5 steps for Clover users
- 5b) 5 steps for OpenCore users
6) 10.15 Catalina implementation (for users with Clover)
- 6a) How to find your device-id ...
- 6b) How to adapt ssdt for your configuration
7) 10.15 Catalina implementation (for users with OpenCore)
8) Additional notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Main idea: :)
I needed some extension NVME card for 2 or more M.2 slots. In my case I don't need RAID capabilities, so I didn't try it, but most important was 2-3 or more places for M.2 NVME 970 drives.. but without spending 399 or 499€ etc.
So ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card (V2) cost about 60-70 euros or $ (depend of your living place) which make a huge difference.
// I was thinking to share it as a very small thread, but after few days it became a lot bigger than I thought :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Quick presentation:

Hyper M.2 x 16 card V2 is compatible with Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) platform for NVMe RAID support. Unused CPU PCle® lanes can be assigned to storage, allowing you to create a bootable RAID array with multiple M.2 SSDs.

- PCI Express 3.0 x16 interface, compatible with PCI Express x8 and x16 slots,
support data transfer rates up to 128 Gbps
- 4 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key design, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support
(Support PCIE SSD only)
- 1 x M.2 FAN Power Switch / 4 x M.2 access LEDs

View attachment 425908View attachment 425909View attachment 425910View attachment 425911

3) Quick performance test

Result with my 1st test and with my 1st NVME inside -> 970 Evo (no "Plus" version) - Mojave 14.6
(the same NVME SSD was tested on my 14.4 Mojave and Catalina Final with the same performance)

View attachment 425912

4) BIOS Configuration:

- 4a) Data mode

I don't have any other mother board to share details, but similar options
should be easy to find as on Asus X299 Prime Deluxe (I)

PCIEX16_1
PCIEX16_2
PCIEX16_3 - In my case (
Slot 4) -> then choose your option from list
PCIEX16_4
-if you know your correct placement - click on
HYPER M.2 X16 (data)

- 4b)
RAID Configuration:
At this moment I don't have VROC dongle key and more free NVMe SSDs for tests
but with these... you can build for example RAID 1 or 5, but
the good news is: You don't need VROC dongle key to build RAID0
so it can be done OOB with your few NVME drives :)
- Some additional info will be share in future
(if you can test it - please let me know about your results)

5) 10.14 Mojave Configuration

///Note -this section will be modified very soon for more than one NVME ssd.

- Mojave have almost everything for this extension card to work OOB
* but still we have some ugly issue on PCI list (example with 1x NVME drive inside!)

View attachment 425913
View attachment 431342

- So ... for Mojave in all cases we have to add ACPI replacement in Clover
without that after all test nothing work so...

1st Step -> Open your config.plist - in the /EFI/CLOVER/ directory of your System Disk with the Clover Configurator or any other editor of your choice...
and add SLO1 -> AHXC (ACPI replacement patch in Clover Configurator Section "ACPI" under "DSDT Patches"),
as shown on image below:

View attachment 425914

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2nd Step -> Add my " .aml " file attached below - to your EFI folder.
Paste X299-MGREGRS-AHXC.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/

3rd Step -> Find your "device-ID":
The best way to check it is by using: "IORegistryExlorer" application (zip file attached below)
then in case of Slot-4 card placement you can easily use search tool for SLO1

View attachment 431351

on the right side list you will find "device-id" and other informations needed:

View attachment 431349
In this case device-id is: 04 a8 00 00 - or simply 0x04, 0xA8, 0x00, 0x00 needed to compare
or replace (if needed) in SSDT AHXC.aml file - which I will show you below.
In this case we can see also name and compatible section which is: pci144d,a804
(which also will be needed to compare and replace "if needed" in ssdt...aml file)

Example 2: (Same as my personal configuration):
If your
device-id is: 08 a8 00 00 - you will have to put 0x08, 0xA8, 0x00, 0x00 in SSDT....aml file. (name/compatible: pci144d,a808)

4th Step -> Open SSDT...AHXC .aml file and adapt for your configuration (if needed)
For ssdt....aml files modification - I attached below MaciASL.zip
with this application/tool you can open any *.aml file and adapt as needed :)

So now it's time to compare your device-id and compatible to your configuration,
if both are the same you can close this .aml file - if not - take your
device-id and name/compatible from IORegistryExplorer and replace as needed:

View attachment 431376

// *** If you use a different Slot than me - you can change it,
and if you want you can change model name to - for example:
"ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 V2 - 1Tb Samsung 960 PRO"
or "ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 V2 - Data-1 NVME Drive" etc etc...

5th step -> Save your file and reboot PC

- Final result: :)

View attachment 425915

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

! ! ! /// -- soon I will add more details for more than 1xSSD

------------------------- under construction -----------------------------

5b) -> 5 steps for OpenCore users
(will be updated tomorrow if everything goes ok
with my planing :) )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) Catalina Configuration: (for users with Clover)
- in this case whole process is a little easier than on Mojave:
for one or more SSD drives - nothing changes

(nothing to do/add in Clover!)

You have to - simply "copy" my SSDT-.AHXC.aml file
from SSDT-X299-AHXC1015.zip attached below -> to your EFI/ACPI/patched folder
and reboot your system.

* ! ! ! but before you have to check if your device-id(+compatible id) is correct as
visible on your PCI list

6a) How to find your "device-ID":
The best way to check it is by using: "IORegistryExlorer" application (zip file attached below)
then in case of Slot-4 card placement you can easily use search tool for SLO1

View attachment 431351

on the right side list you will find "device-id" and other informations needed:

View attachment 431349
In this case device-id is: 04 a8 00 00 - or simply 0x04, 0xA8, 0x00, 0x00 needed to compare
or replace (if needed) in SSDT .aml file - which I will show on below.
In this case we can see also name and compatible section which is in this case: pci144d,a804
(it will be also needed to compare and replace "if needed" in ssdt...aml file)

Example 2: (As in case of my personal config)
If your device-id is: 08 a8 00 00 - you will have to put 0x08, 0xA8, 0x00, 0x00 in SSDT....aml file.
(and I have by default: name/compatible: pci144d,a808)

6b) How to adapt ssdt for your configuration (if needed)

For ssdt....aml files modification - I attached below MaciASL.zip application/tool
with it you can open any *.aml file and adapt as needed :)

So now it's time to compare your device-id and compatible from your configuration,
if both are the same as in SSDT file - you can close this .aml file and you are ready to go :)
if not - take your device-id and name/compatible from IORegistryExplorer and replace as needed:

View attachment 431365

IF you need to replace device-id, compatible, Slot number..
REMEMBER! - it have to by changed for all 4 sections in that .aml file:
Scope (\_SB.PC01.BR1A)
Scope (\_SB.PC01.BR1B)
Scope (\_SB.PC01.BR1C)
Scope (\_SB.PC01.BR1D)

// *** If you use different Slot you can change it,
and if you want (especially if you have more than 1x SSD)
You can change model name to - for example:
"ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 V2 - 1Tb Samsung 960 PRO"
or something like:
"ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 V2 - Samsung 970 EVO 512Gb" etc etc

For or any other informations like device name etc
it's your choice how you want to change it, but it's more clean
when you have 4 similar names :)
After replacements/changements (if needed) - insure you if that you have correctly
copied and saved a good ssdt .aml file
to your EFI/ACPI/Patched folder.

Reboot PC and enjoy ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
7) Catalina Configuration: (for users with OpenCore)

///--- under construction----///:beachball:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8) Additional notes

///--- under construction----///:beachball:
Hello
Thanks for these amazing details ; I have one question that may seem from a simple mind, sorry about that : what about using this card in a Mac Pro 2019 ? I have installed the card with two NVMe Drive, but I can only get one.
Any idea of how to use it in a real mac ? I am not sure your solution can solve my problem because it's a mac not a hackintosh
thnaks for your answer if any !
best regards

Loic

Hello
Thanks for these amazing details ; I have one question that may seem from a simple mind, sorry about that : what about using this card in a Mac Pro 2019 ? I have installed the card with two NVMe Drive, but I can only get one.
Any idea of how to use it in a real mac ? I am not sure your solution can solve my problem because it's a mac not a hackintosh
thnaks for your answer if any !
best regards

Loic

Hi Hello!

I can imagine, you are already checked Disk Tool if your 2x M.2 drive appears there.
I don't know which kind of M.2 drivers you want to use, but maybe firmware update can help,
it's one of first steps if something is not visible :)

Whole process is much easier when we have BIOS, any BIOS where we can change some things...
for example: usage as only separated storage drives or RAID etc...
In case of real Mac I think you have only Startup manager, but maybe they added something
(https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255)
so it's worth to try and look how it's looks in new Mac. Personally I'm very interested if there is
something else, something more than a standard Startup manager.

After firmware update on your m.2 drive etc, let us know if something change,
I'm very interested in more details with that new beautiful machine :)

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back