Graphics
Asus Geforce GTX 650
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys. I installed Snow Leopard using the tonymacx86 method. I had everything working perfectly fine on my rig until I switched out my video card for the Asus Geforce GTX 650. The card runs perfectly when I switch over to windows (separate hard drive), but now I get to the apple loading screen, and it tells me to restart the computer. I tried starting with graphicsenabler=no to no avail. -x -v -f don't work either. I'm nowhere near an expert at this and could use a little help :)

My system:
Asrock G41M-S3
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM

OSX Version:

The old card was a Gigabyte Geforce 9500 GT, worked fine.

If you need any additional help, just ask. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

As far as I am aware, Snow Leopard won't have support for any 6 series Nvidia cards. SL is just - well - too old... even 10.6.8. You do seem to like your OS being outdated? I mean 10.6.3 is wayyyy old!. Kind of like expecting native 6 series support from XP. My advice: Update to 10.6.8 with your old card, buy the ML update and get with it some! SL is like the dark ages of hackintoshing. It just won't support most of the newer hardware available these days.

My advice: Update to 10.6.8 with your old card said:
SL 10.6.8 is hardly the dark ages as you put it, less than two years after release. It may be in Apple-land where the emphasis is on selling new stuff constantly. Some people actually use their machines for things other than running torture tests, Geekbench etc. and rush out to buy new gear because it's 2 nanoseconds faster or just change for the sake of change to "get with it some" or to get a higher Geekbench score. I'm not saying all this in my defence for still using SL 10.6.8, but because for me ML did a big nothing. I tried it and that was that. SL works, end of....when it no longer does what I NEED, THEN I'll change.

SL 10.6.8 is hardly the dark ages as you put it, less than two years after release. It may be in Apple-land where the emphasis is on selling new stuff constantly. Some people actually use their machines for things other than running torture tests, Geekbench etc. and rush out to buy new gear because it's 2 nanoseconds faster or just change for the sake of change to "get with it some" or to get a higher Geekbench score. I'm not saying all this in my defence for still using SL 10.6.8, but because for me ML did a big nothing. I tried it and that was that. SL works, end of....when it no longer does what I NEED, THEN I'll change.

You are correct, however, for the OPs question, Snow Leopard being outdated is the correct answer. 6xx cards ONLY work under Mountain Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back