Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  • Intel Core_i7_2.7_GHz Processor 2.3GHz
  • 16 GB DIMM RAM
  • 128GB Samsung SSD (add-on)
  • 750GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
  • 17.3-Inch Screen, Nvidia GTX 660M 2G GDDR5

Step 1: Create UniBeast Mountain Lion USB Drive
Step 2: Boot from USB >> Chimera Screen >> Apple Logo displays and the spinning animation starts and freezes after 30-40 seconds. When I tried verbose, it shows stuck at >>
Atheros1cEthernet: Ethernet address 10:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Tried following options:
PCIRootUID=0
GraphicsEnabler=No
-v
-x

All are stuck at the same point. Can anyone suggest a way ahead?

I have the G55VW which is almost the same thing. It gets stuck there because our 660M is probably not supported yet. If your remove the NVDAResman.kext from the USB it will boot and install, but it's pretty pointless imo because it's no fun without graphic acceleration.

One question for you though, at the Chimera screen, how much memory do you see in the top left corner? Around 16GB or less than that? I have 12GB of memory and I see only around 4GB available.

For starters, it gets stick at the Atheros LAN part. Why would you blame the graphics card? Especially since the Apple Logo shows up and the spinning animation. Nonetheless, I will try out what you suggested - how do I delete the mentioned kext?

Secondly, I can't see the top left part of the screen. It is out of the display as the whole image appears squashed and expanded beyond boundary.

Because after the LAN kext and some other miscellaneous kexts load, you're supposed to go to the desktop, which doesn't happen. I had the same problem so I know what I'm talking about.

To delete the kext, you go into the Unibeast USB, then /System/Library/Extensions and look for NVDAResman.kext then delete it.

And about Chimera, do you have a theme for it? Maybe that's why it's squashed, because normally you would only see text which not out of boundaries or anything.

Hit tab to get it out of high res mode (it's easier to work with).
Boot with -s
mount the USB disk read-write
cd /System/Library
mkdir Extensions.disabled
mv Extensions/NV* Extensions.disabled
sync
reboot

.... should be able to install and get ML going at min res. It's flakey. GraphicsEnabler=No doesn't get around it, so you just have to pull the extensions out.

The issue seems to be with the GTX 660M.

Just because it's the last thing to report output to the screen doesn't mean it's where it's hanging. In this case, it thinks it's initialized the GUI and it hasn't (properly). It's up and running, just waiting for you to go through the install, you just can't see it.

The spinner is all pre-driver loading and has nothing to do with the video drivers.

silverkid,

Sorry, I missed your reply before I posted mine. Looks like we ran into the same thing. If you only get rid of that resman kext, does the driver at least load and give full resolution or are you still stuck with basic VESA graphics?

Sadly no, deleting the resman kext disables all the NVIDIA graphics so you get no driver, no full resolution (although "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" does the thing) and ofc no acceleration. Try installing ML and see for yourself, for me it's useless without graphics. But IMO until NVIDIA gets out new drivers for ML, we can't do anything.

Oh and since you have the same laptop as me and reddy2mac didn't answer yet, could you check how much memory Chimera/Chameleon sees at boot in the top left corner? As I said previously, for me it reports 4GB when I have 12GB installed and I'd like to know if it's a problem with my system or with the bootloader.

Same here - 12GB installed physically.

Chameleon reports:

3554 MB Memory
VESA 3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

Were you able to get other hardware working?

I can't seem to get Chameleon to boot off of anything other than the USB, so I'm having to leave that in and bootstrap over to my hard drive. Sound installed fine with VoodooHDA. Bluetooth says it's there, but doesn't work. Ethernet works (obviously, i'm sending this from it now), but no Wifi.

Touchpad is overly sensitive and no palm rest detection.

Ha! so it's not a problem with my system, Chameleon reports the same amount of memory on my laptop! If you don't mind, what BIOS version are you using? I have 204.

Chameleon doesn't boot off the HDD because we have 4K sector HDD so there's special steps to take. Google this if you want to know more.

I didn't check the other components though, except for the Ethernet because the WiFi wasn't working and it will probably never work btw. Everybody that has the same WiFi card as us just bought a new one, at least that's what Google results told me.

The fact that the GPU doesn't work made me quit working on this Hackintosh. I don't know about you, but at the current OSX compatibility level, it's pretty pointless to go on. Windows is just fine for me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back