Contribute
Register

ASUS Aura control for RGB lighting with a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Asus Z370 + Asus Strix RX570 Gaming + Deepcool Gammax RGB Cooler + Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro.

Can confirm that everything except the RX570 retains the color settings, just like @Natural said, it can only hold Static and Breathing. I'm using Aura Sync for Motherboard + Cooler and iCUE for the RAM.

Sorry about this OOT question, but is there anyone here that uses the same RAM or any other Corsair Components with LED? Does your LEDs turns off on sleep? The rest of my LED turns off on sleep but somehow my RAM does not.

Asus's software division is a mess. They've been promising an Aura SDK/API (so people could write third party tools for it) for at least 2 years at this point with no release in sight, and the official Aura Sync software is buggy and hell and worse with each release. I desperately hope they eventually release an SDK so actual talented developers can write a replacement, cross-platform tool for Aura Sync.

What about this? https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/SDK.html
Should this work for create an app to control Asus hardware leds?

I read on the inside guide, that it says that only windows os is supported, but may be some kind of "port" app would work?
Have completely no idea how this works. And I guess that a ported app would not be able to communicate to a pcie device, but... well I still have hope, hahaha

I think the Aurora SDK is just a nice way of having programs (i.e. games) talk to the Aurora device drivers, which are Windows only. I think the driver itself would need to be ported, which I can't imagine anyone doing without the necessary documentation about the proprietary protocols.

I started to build a new app for my asus laptop G531GT to control keyboard leds color and intensity.

My keyboard seems to have only one color zone, 4 brightness steps and has the following USB ID 0b05:1866

Currently i am able to control keyboard and lightbar color and intensity from my cli app under linux but started to build a new macos app.
If anyone is interested please let me know your USB ID and device capabilities.
A wireshard usbpcap capture during brightness up/down will help, also another pcap log changing the color scheme and/or settings different zones will be much appreciated. Hopefully you can provide the output os lsusb -v or ioreg which will help a lot.

A short demo of iAura.app capabilities :)

Attachments

• iAura-demo.gif
    iAura-demo.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 463
It seems that there is already an iAura app not related to our cause, i need to find another name, let name it macAura :)

For those ones waiting to change their keyboard and light bar colors i am attaching the macAura.app
Please download from github https://github.com/serdeliuk/macAura/releases/download/1/macAura.app.zip

It was tested only on my Asus ROG STRIX G531GT which has 4 independent AURA zones as following:
Zone1: keyboard, which have only one colour
Zone2: light-bar corners (front corners)
Zone3: light-bar front left half and right side
Zone4: light-bar front right half and left side

It seems that there exists AURA notebooks with 7 zones and i assume that the keyboard itself is splitted in four color zones, what i am thinking is that the above zones exists as well on the devices with 7 zones but i cannot test nor confirm.

Who wants to test this app on any other AURA device please be my guest.
But note that i am not responsible for any damage may cause :) this software is provided AS IS!

Changing the asusProductID on macAura.app/Contents/Resources/Product.plist file from 0x1866 hex or 6246 dec it allow you to test this app on different AURA devices, but note, do not use an asus productid which is not an AURA device, a good example will be an asus usb drive....

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you find the board ID?

The USB device (the aura keyboard) has two HEX numbers, first one is the VendorID which is the same for all AURA devices, the second one is the ProductID, you can find this in "about this mac > system report > USB" and look for your keyboard

See how it looks on my hackintosh

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 18.23.48.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 18.23.48.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 305
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back