Contribute
Register

ASUS Aura control for RGB lighting with a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be 2 options for you in BIOS. When the computer is on -> on/off and then when computer is sleep/hibernate -> on/off. I personally have it set to the first option on and the second option off. I want the LEDs on when my computer is on and running otherwise I want them off. I personally never put my computer to sleep so I can't say why they don't turn back on. Did you install Windows to configure the lights?

Yeah I think I have the same settings, so like I said I'd expect the lights to come back on after waking it from sleep. Nope, I'm not running Windows on this machine.

Yeah I think I have the same settings, so like I said I'd expect the lights to come back on after waking it from sleep. Nope, I'm not running Windows on this machine.
Ahh yeah I found that I needed to install Windows to get the RGB working properly. Like single color or single color breathing are the only effects that carry over to macOS. Would love proper control from Asus Aura but I doubt we will ever get that. Hackintosh community is a niche not worth serving for Asus. I wonder how hard it would be to port the software

Ahh yeah I found that I needed to install Windows to get the RGB working properly. Like single color or single color breathing are the only effects that carry over to macOS. Would love proper control from Asus Aura but I doubt we will ever get that. Hackintosh community is a niche not worth serving for Asus. I wonder how hard it would be to port the software

I still don't understand why they don't simply give the documentation so we can write our own software. I mean, I'd be totally happy with a home-brew command-line utility that lets me simply pass a parameter to choose the pattern or color that I want.

Could you maybe try if your macOS keeps the pattern / turns back on after going into standby? If yes, what's your BIOS version?

I still don't understand why they don't simply give the documentation so we can write our own software. I mean, I'd be totally happy with a home-brew command-line utility that lets me simply pass a parameter to choose the pattern or color that I want.

Could you maybe try if your macOS keeps the pattern / turns back on after going into standby? If yes, what's your BIOS version?
Yea it stays for me. I shut down or restart or sleep and the static color I want stays that way. I'm on the latest BIOS

And here I am wishing they would throw us a bone about this. I hate having to install windows on my SSD just to be able to control RGB lighting. It works and retains settings but so many issues are caused by being required to install windows on the same SSD for it to work

@Natural can you confirm you use the Cooler Master RGB Controller and it retains the setup you do on Windows upon rebooting to Mac and it keeps it then? Not optimal but still acceptable for me.

@Natural can you confirm you use the Cooler Master RGB Controller and it retains the setup you do on Windows upon rebooting to Mac and it keeps it then? Not optimal but still acceptable for me.

I do not use Cooler Master. The RGB control we are talking about here is Asus Aura Sync and being able to control the RGB output via the header that's available on some motherboards and the RGB strip behind/on the side of the motherboard. In my case, I have to install Windows on the same SSD as macOS and install Asus Aura in Windows. From there I can choose a static color and upon reboot it maintains that output. I can then shutdown etc. and it will maintain the output.

I still don't understand why they don't simply give the documentation so we can write our own software.

Asus's software division is a mess. They've been promising an Aura SDK/API (so people could write third party tools for it) for at least 2 years at this point with no release in sight, and the official Aura Sync software is buggy and hell and worse with each release. I desperately hope they eventually release an SDK so actual talented developers can write a replacement, cross-platform tool for Aura Sync.

Yea it stays for me. I shut down or restart or sleep and the static color I want stays that way. I'm on the latest BIOS
Okay, thanks then I'll try that when I find the time!

Just following up on this thread, so if I install Windows (To a seperate SSD), run the software app to choose a specific RGB, and then reboot into mac OSX I can retain the lighting?

Just following up on this thread, so if I install Windows (To a seperate SSD), run the software app to choose a specific RGB, and then reboot into mac OSX I can retain the lighting?

I am using ASUS vega 56. I cannot keep the lighting setting after wake from sleep. I set it into white static in windows and it is still write in macOS. But, it is back to the default (red) after wake from sleep. Anyone has the solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back