Contribute
Register

ASUS Aura control for RGB lighting with a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MFortuna i have installed Catalina on a secondary partition and macAura works very well with my ROG notebook which have as well 4 zones, i can change the light intensity which is an overall intensity for all leds which are not set black, then i can change zones colors, each zone with it's color, you should try macrogaura too which is a cli tool.
If you still have windows you can try to install wireshark and sniff the USB port while changing the light intensity, changing colors on zones, etc, save a snapshot for each operation to be easy to read, then put the files here and i will try to add your commands to macAura

I am using Asus Z390-A Prime motherboard with Corsair RGB Vengeance and eagerly watching this thread for development. Gladly help to do some testing to the limit of my newbie experience with programming.

Hiya

I just got my Hackintosh set up for the first time on the weekend. Haven't had a PC for a looong time. I thought the RGBs would be an annoying novelty (well, they kind of are) but I'm also kinda fascinated by them.

My desktop motherboard + case have synced RGBs, so I thought I'd try making an app that allows me to control them from macOS.

So I've made a simple app (source up at https://github.com/notjosh/Aureal) that lets me toggle thru the built-in options.

1596029854938.png

Caveat: it _only_ works with the built-in motherboard controller (so, no RAM RGBs, no under-keyboard RGBs, etc). Mostly only because I don't have other devices to test with. But anyone with a USB-based Aura motherboard should have no problem running it.

Another small caveat: make sure it's mapped as a USB device! I had it mapped out at first, since we only get 15, but you'll need to add it back :)

It's only an afternoon of work so far, so I'm sure it's got a lot of rough edges. But it's enough to tinker with and work out if it's worth continuing with!

Let me know if you find it useful.

how do I get it to work with my Gigabyte Designare Z390
You can't, it only supports ASUS boards. It's an ASUS thread after all ;)

(...unless Gigabyte is licensing Aura from ASUS? I...don't think that's the case, but maybe? I'm out of the loop on almost everything in the PC world!)

Heh, unless you're sending me a board to build/test, then probably not :( your best bet would be the OpenRGB macOS branch probably, since it's built to support a lot of different boards.

Hiya

I just got my Hackintosh set up for the first time on the weekend. Haven't had a PC for a looong time. I thought the RGBs would be an annoying novelty (well, they kind of are) but I'm also kinda fascinated by them.

My desktop motherboard + case have synced RGBs, so I thought I'd try making an app that allows me to control them from macOS.

So I've made a simple app (source up at https://github.com/notjosh/Aureal) that lets me toggle thru the built-in options.

View attachment 482178
Caveat: it _only_ works with the built-in motherboard controller (so, no RAM RGBs, no under-keyboard RGBs, etc). Mostly only because I don't have other devices to test with. But anyone with a USB-based Aura motherboard should have no problem running it.

Another small caveat: make sure it's mapped as a USB device! I had it mapped out at first, since we only get 15, but you'll need to add it back :)

It's only an afternoon of work so far, so I'm sure it's got a lot of rough edges. But it's enough to tinker with and work out if it's worth continuing with!

Let me know if you find it useful.
I have a ASUS ROG Hero X... Always says disconnected? How do I map it to USB?

I have a ASUS ROG Hero X... Always says disconnected? How do I map it to USB?
Hey, cool! Let's try to figure it out. From the ASUS product page, it _seems_ like it's controller with a USB controller, so it should be possible to get it working.

Check System Information.app -> USB tab for an "AURA LED Controller", and confirm the Product ID/Vendor ID are the same as in mine (from what I've read online, they use the same controller in all their boards that support it...but maybe there are older revisions?):

1596100293205.png

If you _don't_ see the AURA LED Controller, it's possible that the USB device just wasn't mapped and isn't visible to macOS.

If you _do_ see the AURA LED Controller, and the pid/vid are the same as the screenshot then we'll have to dig a little deeper.

Hey, cool! Let's try to figure it out. From the ASUS product page, it _seems_ like it's controller with a USB controller, so it should be possible to get it working.

Check System Information.app -> USB tab for an "AURA LED Controller", and confirm the Product ID/Vendor ID are the same as in mine (from what I've read online, they use the same controller in all their boards that support it...but maybe there are older revisions?):

View attachment 482265
If you _don't_ see the AURA LED Controller, it's possible that the USB device just wasn't mapped and isn't visible to macOS.

If you _do_ see the AURA LED Controller, and the pid/vid are the same as the screenshot then we'll have to dig a little deeper.

So I see the AURA LED controller...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-30 07.37.09.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-30 07.37.09.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back