Contribute
Register

Asus A54C Mostly Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed a very odd problem with WIFI. It works fine after reboot but after a while performance slows to a crawl until it stops altogether.

It behaves almost like the interface counts the number of bytes it transmits/receives and slows down to a hard limit. I have an AR9285 in my notebook. I have noted that this was a problem for some others and I have tried a few fixes. Notedly switched off "Wake for Network Access" feature in Power Save Panel but it does not seem to have eliminated the problem.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

This is informational only for folks who may have the same notebook.

I ended up getting my ALC269VB working on my Asus A54C with Sierra using a patched AppleHDA. It works flawlessly. I'm not sure why I could not get it working with Clover patch method. I may have made a mistake or there could be a subtle difference in what is getting patched.

The patched AppleHDA does not specify which chip revision it is targeting (v1, v2 or v3 afaik) but it works none the less. This make me question if I was correct about my own chip revision number in the first place. I had always believed I had revision 3.

Attached is my Linux codec dump for those interested.

Attachments

• Asus_A54C_codec_dump.txt
    12.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Attachments

• CacheUpdate.txt.zip
    492 bytes · Views: 51
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • KextStat.txt.zip
    675 bytes · Views: 85
  • RM’s MacBook Pro.ioreg.zip
    470.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSDT.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 66
  • SSDT.zip
    808 bytes · Views: 71
Hopefully these files are instructive RE "Wifi slowing to a crawl, then stop after time"

Why did you patch AirPortAtheros40.kext?
You should use toledaARPT.kext or ProbookAtheros.kext.
Leave all of IO80211Family.kext vanilla.

Why did you patch AirPortAtheros40.kext?
You should use toledaARPT.kext or ProbookAtheros.kext.
Leave all of IO80211Family.kext vanilla.

Largely because it is the way I remember it working from years ago. I will try with ProbookAtheros.kext and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Largely because it is the way I remember it working from years ago. I will try with ProbookAtheros.kext and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Don't forget to restore your IO80211Family.kext to vanilla (run the macOS/OS X installer).

I upgraded this Asus A54C from 4GB of RAM to 8GB of RAM. This caused a kernel panic.

After some research I set the Clover config.plist/SMBIOS/Trust=true which allowed the system to boot. So far so good with all 8GB recognized.

I upgraded this Asus A54C from 4GB of RAM to 8GB of RAM. This caused a kernel panic.

After some research I set the Clover config.plist/SMBIOS/Trust=true which allowed the system to boot. So far so good with all 8GB recognized.

If you have patched ACPI, don't forget that you must re-extract/re-patch after any hardware changes, BIOS option change, or BIOS upgrade.

If you have patched ACPI, don't forget that you must re-extract/re-patch after any hardware changes, BIOS option change, or BIOS upgrade.

I'll check and make sure. Thanks for the advice. Your consistent acknowledgement of everything that happens here is one of the main reasons we keep coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back