Contribute
Register

Asus 1155 Patched BIOS Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
Te-Moz said:
Hey Francis, sorry for the slow response. Answers to your queries below.

I don't have IORegistryExplorer installed, and I have a stack of planning to do for work coming up, so time to 'play' is non-existent...sorry. Will try and put down what I have for Bios Settings.
No problem, thanks anyway for your answer.

Te-Moz said:
Here are my main Bios settings. Turbo ratio settings are as per RevoGirls Blog. Other settings are as per this thread or Bios download page. Everything else is pretty much standard.

Indeed, pretty much standard. I even run more "basic" as I have a 2600, so no OC: I keep normal turbo ratio for processors. I think it must be hardware-related as it does not sleep under windows 7.

draken182 said:
It's because the patch for the P8Z68-V Pro was created based on the older pre-3k BIOS. The DSDT has changed quite a bit with the 3k BIOS. You can start by using the process I did here for the Asus P8B WS. I will be making a universal guide but haven't finished it yet.

viewtopic.php?p=333262#p333262

Okay thanks. That would be great. I took a look at what you did, but i think i will wait for a guide as i dont want to screw this up TOO bad, lol.

Thanks!

I'm at the same stage as you. I previously tried to have a go myself and got errors then realised I had the latest Bios instead of the 1101.

But I think there is already a patched ROM for the P8Z68 V Pro/Gen3 3203 Bios that has been released very recently.

See here: http://bios4asus.blogspot.co.uk/

Not sure what my next step is to use this rom though.
I thought we needed a DSDT, do we get that via the ROM??
What do we do with the ROM?

Questions questions...lol
..I need to read some more :crazy:

Hi Samisnake, thanks for all your (and other's) hard work on this.

I just have one question - when I run bdmesg, I get the following:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 41862 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
Starting Darwin x86_64

I checked my DSDT and noticed that when I extracted it, there is no processor information in it. Do I need to find an SSDT and use that to get C and P states?

Correct me if I am wrong but with the modded bios am I supposed to need a DSDT at all?

Turbo states are working (MSRDumper) but speedstep doesn't appear to be?

I am using your modded 0402 bios for an asus P8Z68-v PRO/GEN3 with and i5-2500k CPU. At this point I am a little scared to flash up to a 3k bios.

Thanks in advance!

Let me just clarify the patched BIOS purpose. The ONLY thing the patched BIOS accomplishes is to unlock the MSR bit which allows the stock AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to manage your processor's P-states. Gigabyte doesn't lock the MSR bit so a patched BIOS is not necessary. (It's foolish that any company locks the MSR bit but that's another discussion.)

If the MSR bit is locked like with a stock Asus BIOS, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext will attempt to access this in the hardware which causes a kernel panic. Two solutions outside of a patched BIOS avoid the kernel panic. The first is to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (available in MultiBeast) which disables all SpeedStep functionality in the processor. That means it runs at top speed all the time with no lower frequency modes. This also increases power consumption and heat output of your system. The other option is to use the SpeedStepper patch (now included in MultiBeast) which patches AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to avoid the kernel panic. The downside of the SpeedStepper path is that it needs to be customized each time a new OS X release with any changes to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext comes along. It also needs to be re-applied with any system update.

Now for the DSDT. The reason the pre-made patches are not working is because the DSDT changed from the older to the new 3k BIOS releases. As some of you noticed, there is also not a CPU section in the DSDT. That's the reason for the errors listed in bdmesg. Those errors can be ignored on an Asus board.

You still want to use MSRDumper to make sure you are getting different P-states. You should see a variety of different P-states as load increases or decreases on your system. The lowest will be 16 meaning 1.6GHz. From there you will likely have a few in the 20-29 range and all the way up through your maximum turbo boost ratio (which happens to be 39 on my Core i7 2700K).

Do you need a DSDT? No, it's not essential but you will have a better experience with one. Once your BIOS is patched, having an SSDT is not necessary since P-states will automatically be taken care of by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Creating a DSDT. I'm working on a full guide but it would be very helpful if I a few of you could provide vanilla DSDT's (meaning extract a DSDT without one previously installed) for your Asus board with 3k BIOS. If you can do that, I can create a patch file with the appropriate patches for your board. Many of the boards may need the same patches so I might be able to create combination patches that work for a few different boards.

The boards I would need a vanilla DSDT on a 3k BIOS for would be the following Asus boards:

Maximus IV Gene-Z (with or without GEN3)
Maximus IV Extreme-Z
P8Z68 Deluxe (with or without GEN3)
P8Z68-M Pro
P8Z68-V (with or without GEN3)
P8Z68-V Pro (with or without GEN3)
P8Z68-V LE
P8Z68-V LX

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

Here is mine for P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 with the patched 3203 bio. Hope it is correct/works for you. let me know. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 99
draken182 said:
Here is mine for P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 with the patched 3203 bio. Hope it is correct/works for you. let me know. Thanks again!!
Thanks for the DSDT. Try applying the attached patch in DSDT Editor and see how it works for you. This patch includes all the normal patches and ALC892 so it will work with ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback in MultiBeast along with a UserDSDT install.
Asus P8Z68-V Pro-GEN3 3k BIOS.txt

Attachments

• Asus P8Z68-V Pro-GEN3 3k BIOS.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 166
brycv said:
Creating a DSDT. I'm working on a full guide but it would be very helpful if I a few of you could provide vanilla DSDT's (meaning extract a DSDT without one previously installed) for your Asus board with 3k BIOS. If you can do that, I can create a patch file with the appropriate patches for your board. Many of the boards may need the same patches so I might be able to create combination patches that work for a few different boards.

I just downgrade to 1101 patched, and the diagnostic / memory error in About this mac disappeared... I do not know if this problem is introduced in the factory 3203 or patched 3203 but there are apparently problems in this revision that were not in 1101 genuine or patched.
As it do not improve anything for me, I prefer staying with 1101 patched for the moment.

brycv said:
... boards I would need a vanilla DSDT on a 3k BIOS for would be the following Asus boards:

Maximus IV Gene-Z (with or without GEN3)

Hi brycv

Here is my untouched DSDT.dsl for the Asus Maximus IV 3203 Patched Bios.

Thanks for your efforts dude!

p.s. I recall from previous failures that to correctly compile the DSDT this line is needed to avoid some SIOS error. I wasn't able to find it in the common patches but that's probably me being blind. In any case I'm posting it here !

Code:
into method label SIOS code_regex Return\s\(Zero\) remove_matched;
into method label SIOS insert
begin
Return (Zero)
end;

Attachments

• Maximus IV Ex-Z DSDT.dsl
    398.1 KB · Views: 121
Hi all

anyone have tested last bios P8Z68-V-LX ?

Thanks

fiox said:
Hi all

anyone have tested last bios P8Z68-V-LX ?

Thanks
Yup, made wonders for me. Wasn't able to get sleep working with the old ones but now it works even without a DSDT. And of course, the patched bit is flawless swell (works just as good as on the old ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back