Contribute
Register

ASUS 100 Series and Later Custom SSDT for XHCI USB Port Control

I applied the 3 patches contained in Multibeast 11.2 as you suggested, but the instability seems even more pronounced, with those patches included in the config.plist file for my Skylake build. For longer than a year now I have been blessed with a stable Skylake build, that was just extraordinary, and all of a sudden this happens which I believe relates to the 10.14.4 upgrade

I attached a "Supporting files.zip" folder containing the following files:

GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext being a single kext method to ensure that the USB ports I need are appropriately configured. No other kexts were required to support this method, which entailed modifying it's info.plist wherein one needed to define the USB ports and types one required.

The result of using this single kext method only, without any SSDT-03.aml, is depicted in a screenshot of the "iOreg output", also attached

When I started experiencing instability problems, from about 10.14.1, I switched from my GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext method to your kextless method of USB control. The attached file "SSDT-3-xh_rvp10", which I am presently still using, refers. That worked well for quite some time and I was impressed with the idea that your method promised to outlive arbitrary Apple macOS updates. In addition I strongly feel that your method is more elegant than anything else available, considering the state of the art at present.

The result of using your kextless method only, without my single GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext method is depicted in a screenshot of the "iOreg output", also attached.

Note that both methods yield the same iOreg result and that my USB requirement is only 12 ports and well within the limit of 15 ports imposed by Apple for a single USB controller.

I know that I should have also attached problem reporting files to assist you and your fellow experts in troubleshooting this issue. I am hoping however that there is a known issue, connected to 10.14,4 that causes this instability and that a quick fix or solution might just be readily be available.

My instability might even have it's origin with Lilu and it's siblings, which from time to time I compile myself to ensure that I am running with the latest commits.

Hoping you can assist or suggest an alternative approach to get back the stability I have become accustomed to over the many months of trouble free operation.

Greetings

If you have already applied the 15 port limit fix outlined in post #1, you don't need any of the KextsToPatches.

The KextsToPatches are only applicable to those who have not addressed the 15 port limit.

If you have already applied the 15 port limit fix outlined in post #1, you don't need any of the KextsToPatches.

The KextsToPatches are only applicable to those who have not addressed the 15 port limit.
Thank you for responding as promptly as you did. Please have another detailed look at post #76 of mine in this thread. Somehow I cannot connect and relate your valued response to my post #76. The way I understand your response is that I do not need the three PMheart patches as depicted in one of my files contained in the "Supporting files.zip" folder and as attached to my post #76. By the way I noticed that that folder has not yet been opened. I believe that the contents of that folder contains the key to a possible solution to my present Skylake problems. Kindly have a look again whence you may stumble accros a possible oversight of mine leading to a solution to my present Skylake dilemma.

Greetings and thank you for you effort.

Thank you for responding as promptly as you did. Please have another detailed look at post #76 of mine in this thread. Somehow I cannot connect and relate your valued response to my post #76. The way I understand your response is that I do not need the three PMheart patches as depicted in one of my files contained in the "Supporting files.zip" folder and as attached to my post #76. By the way I noticed that that folder has not yet been opened. I believe that the contents of that folder contains the key to a possible solution to my present Skylake problems. Kindly have a look again whence you may stumble accros a possible oversight of mine leading to a solution to my present Skylake dilemma.

Greetings and thank you for you effort.

In your "Supporting files.zip", you have 3 different fixes that address the same issue. Just use one of them, not all 3.

The least favorable of the three is the KextsToPatches.

The kexts and aml should be equally as good.

In your "Supporting files.zip", you have 3 different fixes that address the same issue. Just use one of them, not all 3.

The least favorable of the three is the GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext

The kexts and aml should be equally as good.
Thank you for your response. I am indeed not using all three possible fixes that address the same issue at the same time. Here is my take in short again.

For many months I used my GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext without any PMheart patch(es) and everything worked like a dream.

Upgrading to Mojave 10.14.1 introduced instability into my Skylake build.

Switched to the SSDT-3 method by MacMan as an exclusive solution when I started to experience instability with Mojave. It worked well without any PMheart patches for a while.

Now, perhaps after the Mojave 10.14.4 upgrade instability surfaced again.

I then decided to install the PMheart patches on top of the SSDT-3 exclusive solution and the instability seems to have gotten worse. In other words two solutions running on top of one another, which as you say is not correct, do not yield the desired result, instability is still a problem.

Naturally I am at a loss right now.

I am in the process of generating proper problem reporting files using @MacMan 's elegant SSDT solution exclusively, with PMheart's 3 patches disabled in the KextsToPatches section of my config.plist file.

Kindly bear with me, will post the problem reporting files here in a moment

Greetings

Thank you for your response. I am indeed not using all three possible fixes that address the same issue at the same time. Here is my take in short again.

For many months I used my GA-Z170X-UD3-USB.kext without any PMheart patch(es) and everything worked like a dream.

Upgrading to Mojave 10.14.1 introduced instability into my Skylake build.

Switched to the SSDT-3 method by MacMan as an exclusive solution when I started to experience instability with Mojave. It worked well without any PMheart patches for a while.

Now, perhaps after the Mojave 10.14.4 upgrade instability surfaced again.

I then decided to install the PMheart patches on top of the SSDT-3 exclusive solution and the instability seems to have gotten worse. In other words two solutions running on top of one another, which as you say is not correct, do not yield the desired result, instability is still a problem.

Naturally I am at a loss right now.

I am in the process of generating proper problem reporting files using @MacMan 's elegant SSDT solution exclusively, with PMheart's 3 patches disabled in the KextsToPatches section of my config.plist file.

Kindly bear with me, will post the problem reporting files here in a moment

Greetings

What sort of instability are you experiencing? Do you have any kernel panic logs?

What sort of instability are you experiencing? Do you have any kernel panic logs?
It is difficult to tell because with all my own experimentation I sort of got lost, therefore I suggest that from now on I stay with @MacMan 's SSDT-3 method, the method I prefer, without anything else in my config.plist file - all 3 of PMheart's patches in KextsToPatches have therefore been disabled/removed for now. I will then be only changing anything in accordance with your instructions, believing that this approach is the only one that would prevent "insanity" :) and eventually result in success.
I have attached the problem reporting files which are contained in the debug_31634 file attached hereto. While generating these problem reporting files the routines seemed unhappy in dumping my iOreg, therefore I additionally supplied it's contents in a separate file named ioreg-dump , also attached.
For good measure I have also attached my SSDT-3-xh_rvp10 file, containing the modifications by @MacMan and confirmed by @Lauderdale to be working on a Gigabyte mobo.

Thanking you for you patience

Greetings

Attachments

• debug_31634.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • ioreg-dump.zip
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 90
  • SSDT-3-xh_rvp10.aml.zip
    2 KB · Views: 102
It is difficult to tell because with all my own experimentation I sort of got lost, therefore I suggest that from now on I stay with @MacMan 's SSDT-3 method, the method I prefer, without anything else in my config.plist file - all 3 of PMheart's patches in KextsToPatches have therefore been disabled/removed for now. I will then be only changing anything in accordance with your instructions, believing that this approach is the only one that would prevent "insanity" :) and eventually result in success.
I have attached the problem reporting files which are contained in the debug_31634 file attached hereto. While generating these problem reporting files the routines seemed unhappy in dumping my iOreg, therefore I additionally supplied it's contents in a separate file named ioreg-dump , also attached.
For good measure I have also attached my SSDT-3-xh_rvp10 file, containing the modifications by @MacMan and confirmed by @Lauderdale to be working on a Gigabyte mobo.

Thanking you for you patience

Greetings

I can't see anything that may cause instability from your files.

For now, just use system until you get a kernel panic and be sure to save and post the logs.

I can't see anything that may cause instability from your files.

For now, just use system until you get a kernel panic and be sure to save and post the logs.
Thank you so much for your willingness to assist. Will do as you suggest, for now waiting for the next crash when I will come back to you with the information you require.
Greetings for now

@pastrychef my Skylake build has now survived 23 hrs. 35 mins. uptime without crashing -touch wood :)
Here are a few items I attended to, of which one or more of the measures applied, may have been responsible for achieving the new found "stability"

1. Tightened one of the aerials of my Apple BT card, which was loose, - perhaps causing standing waves due to
an improperly terminated aerial, thus resulting in excessive RF. interference inside the box. ?

2. Installed the most recent Lilu and siblings kexts by compiling the source containing the latest commits.

3. Installed the most recent IntelMausiEthernet.kext compiled from the latest source.

4. Removed FakeSMC and all its sensor kexts including HWmonitor and replaced all that with VirtualSMC.kext,
SMCProcessor.kext and am now only using iStat Menus and Intel Power Gadget to obtain an insight into the
performance of this build.

5. Whittled down the config.plist file as follows:
a. Removed HDAS -> HDEF rename - not required by the MAYA44e soundcard being installed. All instances
of AppleALC.kext have also been removed from this build.

b. Removed dart=0 - not needed because VT-d is already disabled in BIOS

c. Switched to the kextless method of this thread for the USB configuration of this build. All traces of
PMHeart's patches have also been removed.

d. In the config.plist Devices section I unticked USB inject - seemingly not needed by this build - likewise
I believe USB FixOwnership is also not needed, left it in and will test and evaluate this at a later stage.

e. The only entry in the Kernel and Kext Patches section is the trim enabling rename.

That concludes the measures I have taken so far. For ease of reference and others that may be interested I have attached the compressed EFI folder presently used in this rig.

Kindly have a look at the contents of the EFI folder and advise if there is anything else you suggest I should attend to.

Greetings

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.7 MB · Views: 210
@pastrychef my Skylake build has now survived 23 hrs. 35 mins. uptime without crashing -touch wood :)
Here are a few items I attended to, of which one or more of the measures applied, may have been responsible for achieving the new found "stability"

1. Tightened one of the aerials of my Apple BT card, which was loose, - perhaps causing standing waves due to
an improperly terminated aerial, thus resulting in excessive RF. interference inside the box. ?

2. Installed the most recent Lilu and siblings kexts by compiling the source containing the latest commits.

3. Installed the most recent IntelMausiEthernet.kext compiled from the latest source.

4. Removed FakeSMC and all its sensor kexts including HWmonitor and replaced all that with VirtualSMC.kext,
SMCProcessor.kext and am now only using iStat Menus and Intel Power Gadget to obtain an insight into the
performance of this build.

5. Whittled down the config.plist file as follows:
a. Removed HDAS -> HDEF rename - not required by the MAYA44e soundcard being installed. All instances
of AppleALC.kext have also been removed from this build.

b. Removed dart=0 - not needed because VT-d is already disabled in BIOS

c. Switched to the kextless method of this thread for the USB configuration of this build. All traces of
PMHeart's patches have also been removed.

d. In the config.plist Devices section I unticked USB inject - seemingly not needed by this build - likewise
I believe USB FixOwnership is also not needed, left it in and will test and evaluate this at a later stage.

e. The only entry in the Kernel and Kext Patches section is the trim enabling rename.

That concludes the measures I have taken so far. For ease of reference and others that may be interested I have attached the compressed EFI folder presently used in this rig.

Kindly have a look at the contents of the EFI folder and advise if there is anything else you suggest I should attend to.

Greetings

• I don't know if RF interference would be an issue...
  • When using VirtualSMC, I believe that installing SMCHelper-64.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ is recommended.
  • You probably don't need SSDT-SATA.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/. The SATA controller on Z170 is support because Apple also uses Z170.
  • In my builds, I don't even bother to disable VT-d anymore. I also don't have dart=0 nor do I have DMAR in drop tables.
  • In config.plist > Boot > Arguments, I recommend adding the "keepsyms=1" argument. This will help with collection of kernel panic logs.
  • The External Icons KextsToPatch may be useful, but not required.

Back