[SOLVED]Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 can't UEFI boot to HDD/SSD

Hi,

I've installed Mavericks 10.9.4 on my new rig:

Asrock Z97 Extreme 4
Intel 4670K
16GB of RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD
EVGA 780GTX

I can't seem to get a bootloader/EFI that the BIOS detects on the drive.
I've first tried a unibeast install and then dropping a boot loader using multi beast, but no joy. Couldn't boot directly from the drive.
Tried moving the SSD to the ASMEDIA SATA3 controller, same thing.

I've then created a Clover UEFI installer, formatted as GUID with an EFI FAT32 partition. The Bios recognized it as a UEFI bootable devices, and I re-installed OSX on the SSD.
However I still can't directly boot to the UEFI partition on the SSD after I installed it. Tried again on both the Intel and Asmedia controllers. Both the SSD and the USB drive are formatted as GUID, both EFI partitions are fat32, both contents' are the same.

Any idea why I can't manage to boot to the UEFI partition on the SSD? Makes no sense.

P.S.
Sound is also not working although ALC1150 driver and 9 series patch are up and running. Sound card detected, I can change the volume, but there's no sound.
I suppose it's still a work in progress?

Thanks,

Small update:

Audio issue:
Manually installed the patched kext, works fine. Both headphone and even rear green jack.
Kudos.

Bootloader:
Managed to drop a legacy boot loader to EFI partition. Boots fine, but I lost audio for some strange reason.

I would still love to UEFI boot so I can speed up boot time to Win8 and save some legacy boot stuff from running. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

[SOLVED]Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 can't UEFI boot to HDD/SSD

Ok, managed to sort it out.
Booted into the EFI shell from the USB key, and added a boot entry to NVRAM using bcfg pointing to fsx:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
Where X is the file system containing the EFI partition.

Ok, managed to sort it out.
Booted into the EFI shell from the USB key, and added a boot entry to NVRAM using bcfg pointing to fsx:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
Where X is the file system containing the EFI partition.

Would you give more details how you did this? This and the audio issue is all that I have left to fix.

install clover to your uni stick boot0AF then choose theme in uefi select optio.nvram is working in asrock so u don't need emu.use this config if you want for your uni stick. tap f11 key choose your uni stick and boot. note the config is for nvida only gfx unless u edit with Xcode for intel/amd. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez6wijq864qm6bm/Clover_v2k_r2758.pkg edit add fakesmc to your 10.9 folder

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.9 KB · Views: 585
Would you give more details how you did this? This and the audio issue is all that I have left to fix.

Sure,
I assume you already have mavericks installed from a clover uefi USB flash.
Follow Step 4 of the Clover Guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...s-x-mavericks-using-clover-14.html#post767827

Then EFI partition of the hard drive/ssd should be mounted.
Go to the root, and create a text file called blah.txt or whatever name you choose so you can identify it later.
Reboot the system, and boot into the clover menu from the USB flash. Select boot into the EFI shell from the clover boot menu.

After the shell has loaded, use the command map to show all the mapped devices.
What you need are the devices mapped as fs0, fs1 etc, they are fat file systems.
Start accessing each one by type fs0: fs1: etc and using ls to list the contents until you find the text file you had created.

Then, you need to use the bcfg command to add a boot entry to fsx:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI where x is the file system that points to the correct EFI partition where you placed the text file.

I dont remember the exact syntax, you can use help bcfg in the shell.

Regarding the audio, I had just took the patched ALC1150 version from here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/134002-quick-fix-onboard-audio-9-series-motherboards.html
And used kextbeast to install it.

So far, everything works rather smoothly for me.
The only annoyance is that every once in a while the system doesnt recognize key presses, and you have to wait a few seconds until it is unblocked.

Thanks for your time and info. I used Unibeast. I'm reformatting with clover now.

You can make the process much easier by using tools built into Clover. Adding a UEFI boot option is as easy as:

Highlight "Clover Boot Options"

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.10.04 AM.png

and then: Select "Add Clover..."

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.09.17 AM.png

Much easier than having to deal with the shell...

Oh man, this saved me. I was having the same problem on my Asrock z97 Extreme6. Thanks!!!

I was able install Yosemite on my build.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Asrock z97 extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
SSD: Kingston V300 120GB
GPU: On board

I used Unibeast to make my USB OS X installer. I was able to install Yosemite onto the SSD. But I can only boot from the Unibeast USB installer. Multibeast does not work for me.

Finally, I used Clover for my bootloader and was able to boot from my SSD. But now I'm having problem with my display.

Does any one here have the same experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back