Huawei Matebook D
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I'm using an ASRock Z390M-ITXac board, i3 8100, iGPU only, 2x8GB 3000Mhz Corsair
I'm having a nasty issue.

Basically it all works great...and at some point the PC freezes. when it freezes you get a corrupted SSD too. So I had to reinstall the system.
I'm not sure what it is that's creating the issue.

I have used the patch as suggested as this board has the Bios bug as the Phantom Gaming.
This board needs frambuffer patching as otherwise you get a black screen using lilu and whatevergreen.
The patching comes with Hackintoool itself as this board is one for which the developer includes the code so you have all 3 video ports working. I tried different SMBIOS iMac 18,1 and Macmini8,1 but it doesn't make a difference, the system freezes out of the blue.

Any idea?
Did Bios 4.0 work?

I now switched from Bios 1.5 to 1.2.

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at this User Build thread for ASRock Z390 Extreme 4. There’s an EFI folder there that you can examine and customize. And you can post questions about random crashes and freezes in that thread.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
I've installed two of those motherboards to a couple of friend's builds.
The Phantom works very well. I thought this ASRock Z390M-ITX would be similar BUT indeed it behaves differently.
The Phantom has hardware acceleration OOB with Lilu and WhateverGreen.
These two friend's systems have an RX 580 8GB video card so they're not testing it using an i3 iGPU.

You might want to take a look at this User Build thread for ASRock Z390 Extreme 4. There’s an EFI folder there that you can examine and customize. And you can post questions about random crashes and freezes in that thread.

Thanks for your reply.
I'll post on that thread. That motherboard is different though.

I've tested a couple of things more:

1-The code you have about this ASRock Z390M-ITX on your thread about iGPU patching using Hackintool generally works well. Final Cut Pro X renders with no issues. Everything works.
Once in a while while watching a video with an app called IINA I had those freezes but reverting Bios back to 1.10 that then turned into Rebooting. Better rebooting as the freezes lead to MacOS installation corruption that needed a reinstall.
So, as of now, if I especially watch 4k video in IINA with MP4 files once in a while I get a reboot.

2-Instead, when using the framebuffer patch you can find directly in Hackintool for the ASRock Z390M-ITX, you get an unstable system. Just by opening Final Cut Pro X you get a system freeze. So I'm not using such particular implementation of the framebuffer patch.

3-Another story is the fact that the very same Intel i3, SSD, Ram, PSU etc etc were mounted on a Gigabyte Z390-N WiFi with which I had trouble with a 4k Monitor and 60Hz even though such board has Display Port and HDMI 2.0. What was happening at 4k 60Hz was flickering, while the board was usable at 30Hz.
Initially I thought the board was faulty but after the move to this ASRock board I'm thinking something with the iGPU in the i3 itself has issues. The Gigabyte support replied to me saying some of the Intel CPU have bugs in relationship to internal graphics. Part of this issue might be the i3 CPU itself. For sure the Gigabyte was handling the situation better than this ASRock.

In other words, it might not be the configuration, EFI, drivers...

Last edited:
2-Instead, when using the framebuffer patch you can find directly in Hackintool for the ASRock Z390M-ITX, you get an unstable system. Just by opening Final Cut Pro X you get a system freeze. So I'm not using such particular implementation of the framebuffer patch.
The framebuffer connector patches in Hackintool are the same as those in the connector patching guide. They use platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (but Hackintool allows you to change platform ID before generating the patch). Many professional Audio/Video applications will crash if the iGPU is configured with this platform ID. So we must switch to a headless platform ID such as 0x3E920003 (8th Gen Core CPU) or 0x3E980003 (9th Gen Core CPU) and use the discrete graphics card (AMD GPU) to drive the display monitor.

The framebuffer connector patches in Hackintool are the same as those in the connector patching guide. They use platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (but Hackintool allows you to change platform ID before generating the patch). Many professional Audio/Video applications will crash if the iGPU is configured with this platform ID. So we must switch to a headless platform ID such as 0x3E920003 (8th Gen Core CPU) or 0x3E980003 (9th Gen Core CPU) and use the discrete graphics card (AMD GPU) to drive the display monitor.

Thanks for your reply!

What I do in Hackintool is I select the ASRock Z390M-ITXac template and then click on Generate Patch without ticking/unticking any field. Should I do differently?

The patch in the "connector patching guide" thread (the one you maintain) has no issues with rendering in FCPX.
This particular PC has a very small case and it's intended for iGPU only. I need to make it work with iGPU alone.
The issue here is the freeze/reboot when a video plays. This is a brand new issue I'm experiencing with this board. I created a few hackintosh with other boards and iGPU alone and this is the very first time I see such behaviour.

On a side note. Does hardware acceleration work for a 9th Gen CPU using platform ID such as 0x3E920003 instead of 0x3E980003? The systems I tested seem to run with this platform ID without issues.

What I do in Hackintool is I select the ASRock Z390M-ITXac template and then click on Generate Patch without ticking/unticking any field. Should I do differently?
Because you're using only the iGPU due to space constraints, Hackintool should be configured as follows:
  • Menu Bar --> Framebuffer --> MacOS 10.14
  • Intel --> Intel Generation --> Coffee Lake
  • Intel --> Platform ID --> 0x3E9B0007
  • Intel --> Patch --> Advanced --> Spoof Video Device ID --> [uncheck if running 10.14.4+]
  • Intel --> Patch --> Advanced --> Spoof Video Device ID --> [enable and set to 0x3E92 if running 10.14.3-]
  • Menu Bar --> Patch --> System Configs --> [select your motherboard]
  • Intel --> Patch --> Generate Patch
On a side note. Does hardware acceleration work for a 9th Gen CPU using platform ID such as 0x3E920003 instead of 0x3E980003? The systems I tested seem to run with this platform ID without issues.
Those are headless configurations in which the iGPU will not display video, but it will be fully utilized for compute tasks (HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, etc.).

Some comments about random freezes:
  • It's good to check memory stability with Memtest for Mac.
  • Also good to remove all internal and external USB devices other than keyboard and mouse. If system is stable and can play back 4K video, reconnect one USB device at a time.
  • Increase VRAM to 2GB. Hackintool has an option for 2GB VRAM. Try enabling both of the options shown. Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 9.53.55 AM.png

Last edited:
Because you're using only the iGPU due to space constraints, Hackintool should be configured as follows:
  • Menu Bar --> Framebuffer --> MacOS 10.14
  • Intel --> Intel Generation --> Coffee Lake
  • Intel --> Platform ID --> 0x3E9B0007
  • Intel --> Patch --> Advanced --> Spoof Video Device ID --> [uncheck if running 10.14.4+]
  • Intel --> Patch --> Advanced --> Spoof Video Device ID --> [enable and set to 0x3E92 if running 10.14.3-]
  • Menu Bar --> Patch --> System Configs --> [select your motherboard]
  • Intel --> Patch --> Generate Patch

Those are headless configurations in which the iGPU will not display video, but it will be fully utilized for compute tasks (HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, etc.).

Some comments about random freezes:
  • It's good to check memory stability with Memtest for Mac.
  • Also good to remove all internal and external USB devices other than keyboard and mouse. If system is stable and can play back 4K video, reconnect one USB device at a time.
  • Increase VRAM to 2GB. Hackintool has an option for 2GB VRAM. Try enabling both of the options shown.View attachment 403315

Thanks very much for the time and thorough reply!
Really appreciated.

There was in fact the "[*]Intel --> Patch --> Advanced --> Spoof Video Device ID -->" Enabled even though I was running Mojave 10.14.4. All other settings were as per your guide.
With such option the system freeze just by running Final Cut Pro X.

I will try to create the patch as you suggest.
What do the two options suggested (2GB VRam and DVMT pre-alloc 32MB) do?

Thanks a lot!!

Can you at least share the EFI folder? I wasn't even able to install OSX...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back