Contribute
Register

ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX
CPU
Graphics
Geforce 2080 Ti
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find a definitive answer to this question.

- The motherboard is native TB3 w/ alpine ridge. Which should be backward compatible with TB2 via adapter.
- ASRock's documentation shows the thunderbolt port as output capable (https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITXac.pdf)
- User rj510 has an extensive build thread (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-gaming-itx-tb3-igpu-mojave-sff-build.277418/), but doesn't specifically identify which displays are tested. I found a couple instances of other motherboards working with the Thunderbolt Display, after some custom firmware and fiddling with the BIOS.

If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it!

Closing the loop on this.

It WORKS! I have successfully connected the Asrock Z390 to my Apple Thunderbolt Display.

- Must use the Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter. The official Apple Adapter will NOT work. https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/tbt3tbtadap
- Must set your BIOS primary graphics to "onboard".

And that's it! No other tweaks necessary from the BIOS. UEFI interface and OS will display on the monitor just fine.

You wouldn't happen to have a dual boot setup on your system and have also tested if this works in Windows as well?

Hi hogben,

I would. I used Windows 10 and it also displays on the Apple Thunderbolt without issues.

Thanks, something might be up with my z390 then. I've tried both the startech and apple adapter, default uefi settings with 'onboard' toggled on. I also tried enabling the igpu setting.

I do have a gpu slotted but no display connected, and get a signal from the onboard hdmi, but the Apple display never turns on when connected to the tb3.

I also tried running the display off the caldigit dock connected to the tb3 which I successfully use with a tb2 UAD apollo audio interface.

Do you happen to know the revision of the bios you're on? I tried a v4 a v6 and the newest bios.

Last edited:
Sure thing, hogben.

I am running 4.40 BIOS. Did you install the Intel Thunderbolt driver ver:17.4.76.300? I can do some more testing later. Unfortunately my build is currently offline for some other repairs.

This is the exact Window 10 build image I am using with all the latest updates applied: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

Make sure iGPU Multi-Monitor is enabled.

I also can't remember if I have "Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP" Enabled or Disabled. Might try flipping between those two.

Lastly, as I mentioned, when I get my rig back up I can export the entire config.

I reset the BIOS for my mobo and confirmed the only settings which I need to change were:

- BIOS primary graphics to "onboard".
- iGPU Multi-Monitor Enabled

I didn't need the Titan Ridge workaround or any other settings.

I reset the BIOS for my mobo and confirmed the only settings which I need to change were:

- BIOS primary graphics to "onboard".
- iGPU Multi-Monitor Enabled

I didn't need the Titan Ridge workaround or any other settings.
Hello friend, please help. I bought Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac + Apple Thunterbolt Display A1407 with original and Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter. When I connect display into board I get thunterbolt software notification ,selected Always connect,but display wasn’t power up.I can see only Apple thunterbolt display in list Port1 with status not connected.I try all version bios all version drivers and different OS.Current config same as your .Bios 4.40, drivers from official site ,Windows 10 enterprise, Primary graphics -onboard ,multimonitor enable.I don’t have PCI express graphics.Before I bought asrock z490 TB3 but Titan ridge don’t compatible with Apple monitors.Are you have any idea?Thank you for your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back