Contribute
Register

Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac is compatible / working?

Motherboard
AS Rock Z270 Fatal1ty ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Thanks for the tips on the graphics.

I did some tests with the thunderbolt networking today. I suspect the reason you can't network the hackintosh is because the thunderbolt isn't officially recognized by the system ( look at devices and you will see it doesn't think there are any thunderbolt devices).

I was however able to get the thunderbolt networking to work from my old mac(2011) to the win10 partition. You just need to enable the networking, type in the address \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx and fast as hell transfers!

I also tried the target disk method, but that didn't work in macOS or win10.

Hope this helps!

Do the devices that you can connect to in macOS via the Fatal1ty Thunderbolt have a native Thunderbolt port? I'm trying to work out if the problem with this board is:

1). Specifically with Thunderbolt hard drives
2). Specifically with Apple devices in Target Disk Mode/TB networking mode
3). All Thunderbolt devices except those connected via an Thunderbolt FW/USB/Ethernet adapter?

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Are you doing the "plug at clover screen" technique? If so, what thunderbolt 3 peripheral are you using?
Did you tried the software reboot method? ;)
Power on the hackintosh, restart from apple menu and leave connected the UAD.
I think you will see it without plug manually.

Before the 10.12.6 update my TB display was working better on this way...

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Do the devices that you can connect to in macOS via the Fatal1ty Thunderbolt have a native Thunderbolt port? I'm trying to work out if the problem with this board is:

1). Specifically with Thunderbolt hard drives
2). Specifically with Apple devices in Target Disk Mode/TB networking mode
3). All Thunderbolt devices except those connected via an Thunderbolt FW/USB/Ethernet adapter?

FWIW and reading various other posts about different boards with Thunderbolt 1/2/3 it appears that no one has got Target Disk Mode and Thunderbolt Networking working between a Hackintosh and a real Mac. It appears to be because both Target Disk Mode and Thunderbolt Networking are presented as Network protocols rather than directly attached "disks". I guess AppleThunderboltUTDM.kext and AppleThunderboltIP.kext don't want to talk to a non-Apple Thunderbolt controller, however it determines that.

So the best option I have for rapid data sync between machines would be either Gigabit Ethernet or rebooting the Hackintosh into Windows with Thunderbolt Networking on the Mac with SMB enabled.

Testing with Hack in Windows to Mac with Thunderbolt Networking I was getting between 50MB/sec and 80MB/sec when copying from files sitting on a Samsung Evo 840 500GB ( Mac ) to Samsung Evo 850 120GB ( Hack in Windows ).

Testing with Hack in OSX to Mac with Gigabit Networking I was getting very similar speeds when copying from files sitting on a Samsung Evo 840 500GB ( Mac ) to Toshiba 500GB NVMe drive ( Hackintosh )

So whilst not an identical test, there seems to be little real world difference between Gigabit and TB Networking, despite Thunderbolt 1s ( on MacBook) theoretical 10x faster throughput. Time for me to stop obsessing over Thunderbolt support now and accept that for my specific requirements any Hackintosh wouldn't be suitable.

Motherboard
ASUS Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can't get this new ASROCK-Z270-gaming-itx MB to boot from my USB installer.

pinapple86, here is my config.plist from my usb installer. Just remember to spoof the cpu id in clover options before booting up installer. Would you please share your final config.plist to your rig. I want to compare your edits to my final config.plist. I would really appreciate it. Maybe i have left something out of mine.

I created the install USB using Unibeast 7.1.1 (whatever is the latest) , using the Clover install option, and am attempting a Sierra 10.12.6 install. But when I plug the USB stick into my ASROCK MB it sees the USB stick but when attempting to boot from it , it just returns with a 'Fail to Boot from device, Type Alt-Ctrl-Delete to reset' .

I usually use the F11 key to open the Boot Manager and choose the USB, and I also have tried to disable the other uninitialized SSD's in the system in the BIOS so the only boot option seen, and first priority, is the USB installer.

No matter what I try I can't get the USB to boot into clover.

Any suggestions? Do I have to still spoof the CPU as suggested in my quote from hockeylove above?

Help?

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I can't get this new ASROCK-Z270-gaming-itx MB to boot from my USB installer.
I created the install USB using Unibeast 7.1.1 (whatever is the latest) , using the Clover install option, and am attempting a Sierra 10.12.6 install. But when I plug the USB stick into my ASROCK MB it sees the USB stick but when attempting to boot from it , it just returns with a 'Fail to Boot from device, Type Alt-Ctrl-Delete to reset' .

I usually use the F11 key to open the Boot Manager and choose the USB, and I also have tried to disable the other uninitialized SSD's in the system in the BIOS so the only boot option seen, and first priority, is the USB installer.

No matter what I try I can't get the USB to boot into clover.

Any suggestions? Do I have to still spoof the CPU as suggested in my quote from hockeylove above?

Help?

I had a similar problem. Switched to a different memory stick, identical software load and it worked fine. Not saying it's you problem, but might be worth testing?

Motherboard
ASUS Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had a similar problem. Switched to a different memory stick, identical software load and it worked fine. Not saying it's you problem, but might be worth testing?

I have already tried two independent memory USB sticks. Similar problems. Thanks for suggestion.

Motherboard
Asrock
CPU
Intel
Graphics
AMD
I am trying to get my thunderbolt 3 port working on this motherboard and have absolutely no luck. It will not recognize my OWC thunderbolt 3 dock, even with the latest bios. Is there any progress on this? I do not have Windows installed so cannot install the windows drivers first (and I don't understand why that would make any difference at all, unless there is a firmware update as part of that process).

Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z270
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I’ve tried to figure out the best way to present all this stuff so it can be applied to the widest audience depending on hardware and usage. Of course these files are designed ONLY for use with the Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty ITX Gaming motherboard!...

Oh.
My.
Goodness...

I haven't digested all of this but this is how ALL of the tutorials here should look. This place is like the Wild, Wild West, with a lot of random information thrown all over the place. I have an EVGA board so I can't use all of this but I GREATLY appreciate the write-up because it explains a LOT...

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator: