Contribute
Register

Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac is compatible / working?

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Just finished some testing tonight. I got my egpu to work in win10, but not in macOS. This may be a driver issue because I can't use my gtx 1060 though the pcie lane without a kernel panic.
Did you tried the 2.2A special bios with Pcie as primary graphic output in setting?

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
so theres still no mini-itx motherboard hackintosh compatible with a thunderbolt port ?

Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITXac
CPU
Intel Core I7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1060 / GTX 960 egpu
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did you tried the 2.2A special bios with Pcie as primary graphic output in setting?
I think I'm running the BIOS that was posted here a few weeks back. Has there been any releases since?

I did some more monkeying around tonight and hit the jackpot! egpu and UAD apollo twin running flawless. Still need to plug at clover screen but I'm super excited! One of my kext files was giving a kernel panic. Removed it and all is good!

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core I7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1060 / GTX 960 egpu
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Next, I'm going to see if my UAD satellite works daisy chained. I'm not sure why everyone is hung up on the power specs, things seem to work very well aside from the hot-plug (that has never worked). Anyway, I think I'm going to work on a watercool loop for my gtx 1060 and cpu. The Ncase m1 is really small, so it will be a challenge for sure.

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I think I'm running the BIOS that was posted here a few weeks back. Has there been any releases since?
Is that 2.2A Bios that I posted few pages back.

Did you installed the 10.12.6 sierra update? I think that solved for me the Thunderbolt random black screen.
It seem that making a minor update, it's like install MacOs after activation of TB driver in windows.

For readers: basically TB works. It's not a solid TB support like other Gigabyte mother board,
but yes it's a mini-itx mobo and that usb-c door is working!
You try at your own risk: there was not support related to Thunderbolt, and no TB section. But you can buy
the mobo with Amazon and try a giveback if your TB device doesn't works...​

Last edited:
Motherboard
AS Rock Z270 Fatal1ty ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Next, I'm going to see if my UAD satellite works daisy chained. I'm not sure why everyone is hung up on the power specs, things seem to work very well aside from the hot-plug (that has never worked). Anyway, I think I'm going to work on a watercool loop for my gtx 1060 and cpu. The Ncase m1 is really small, so it will be a challenge for sure.

I'm running a 6700K overclocked to 4.4 with a GTX 1060. No issue with temps using a AIO on the CPU and letting the GPU breath air.

I'd love to know how everyone apart from me seems able to make Thunderbolt work in MacOS :(

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core I7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1060 / GTX 960 egpu
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is that 2.2A Bios that I posted few pages back.

Did you installed the 10.12.6 sierra update? I think that solved for me the Thunderbolt random black screen.
It seem that making a minor update, it's like install MacOs after activation of TB driver in windows.

For readers: basically TB works. It's not a solid TB support like other Gigabyte mother board,
but yes it's a mini-itx mobo and that usb-c door is working!
You try at your own risk: there was not support related to Thunderbolt, and no TB section. But you can buy
the mobo with Amazon and try a giveback if your TB device doesn't works...​

I'm on the latest update, 10.12.6. Taking a look a the bios version now.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core I7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1060 / GTX 960 egpu
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm running a 6700K overclocked to 4.4 with a GTX 1060. No issue with temps using a AIO on the CPU and letting the GPU breath air.

I'd love to know how everyone apart from me seems able to make Thunderbolt work in MacOS :(

Are you doing the "plug at clover screen" technique? If so, what thunderbolt 3 peripheral are you using?

Just in case, here are the steps that made everything work for me.

1. Updated bios
2. Turned thunderbolt on in bios menu, unrestricted
3. Booted into win10 and installed latest drivers
4. Leave device unplugged until clover screen, then plug and boot

Motherboard
AS Rock Z270 Fatal1ty ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Are you doing the "plug at clover screen" technique? If so, what thunderbolt 3 peripheral are you using?

Just in case, here are the steps that made everything work for me.

1. Updated bios
2. Turned thunderbolt on in bios menu, unrestricted
3. Booted into win10 and installed latest drivers
4. Leave device unplugged until clover screen, then plug and boot

Using plug at Clover. Apple TB3 -> TB2 Adapter, Apple 2m Thunderbolt cable linking to MacBook Pro 2011 in either Target Disk Mode* or Thunderbolt networking mode** does not work. Using Apple TB3 -> TB2 Adapter + Apple TB -> FW 800 adapter linked to a Firewire drive does work. In summary I cannot get a TB to TB chain to work, I can get Firewire peripherals to show.

1). BIOS v2.3
2). Ditto
3). Ditto and confirmed Thunderbolt networking on the Mac enables me to transfer files via SMB
4). Ditto, but have also tried all other ways.

* No drive shows on Desktop
** No Thunderbolt network interface is detected

P.S. If you're using a 1060 on the internal PCI slot, you might find this useful info:

1). https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/issues/358

There are two branches of HWMonitor, by kozlek and Rehabman. If you have GPUSensors ket installed with a Pascal GPU, you might get a crash on boot. If so, either remove it from L/E or /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or install this build from kozlek

http://hwsensors.com/public/HWSensors.6.25-12-g23039705.1438.Binaries.dmg

2). If you have multiple monitors connected via the 1060, I would get a black screen on boot. You can either:
Reconnect additional monitors after boot
or
Connect one monitor via DVI, enter BIOS and set CSM enable, set Launch Video opOM Policy to Legacy Only and Full HD UEFI to Auto. Those settings enable me to boot my Hack-Ncase with 3 monitors connected to the 1060.

3). If after wake from the sleep the screen is scrambled, set a Sleep hot-corner, then when the screen goes scrambled flick the mouse to the sleep hot-corner. Wait for the screens to sleep, then wake them.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core I7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1060 / GTX 960 egpu
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Using plug at Clover. Apple TB3 -> TB2 Adapter, Apple 2m Thunderbolt cable linking to MacBook Pro 2011 in either Target Disk Mode* or Thunderbolt networking mode** does not work. Using Apple TB3 -> TB2 Adapter + Apple TB -> FW 800 adapter linked to a Firewire drive does work. In summary I cannot get a TB to TB chain to work, I can get Firewire peripherals to show.

1). BIOS v2.3
2). Ditto
3). Ditto and confirmed Thunderbolt networking on the Mac enables me to transfer files via SMB
4). Ditto, but have also tried all other ways.

* No drive shows on Desktop
** No Thunderbolt network interface is detected

P.S. If you're using a 1060 on the internal PCI slot, you might find this useful info:

1). https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/issues/358

There are two branches of HWMonitor, by kozlek and Rehabman. If you have GPUSensors ket installed with a Pascal GPU, you might get a crash on boot. If so, either remove it from L/E or /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or install this build from kozlek

http://hwsensors.com/public/HWSensors.6.25-12-g23039705.1438.Binaries.dmg

2). If you have multiple monitors connected via the 1060, I would get a black screen on boot. You can either:
Reconnect additional monitors after boot
or
Connect one monitor via DVI, enter BIOS and set CSM enable, set Launch Video opOM Policy to Legacy Only and Full HD UEFI to Auto. Those settings enable me to boot my Hack-Ncase with 3 monitors connected to the 1060.

3). If after wake from the sleep the screen is scrambled, set a Sleep hot-corner, then when the screen goes scrambled flick the mouse to the sleep hot-corner. Wait for the screens to sleep, then wake them.

Thanks for the tips on the graphics.

I did some tests with the thunderbolt networking today. I suspect the reason you can't network the hackintosh is because the thunderbolt isn't officially recognized by the system ( look at devices and you will see it doesn't think there are any thunderbolt devices).

I was however able to get the thunderbolt networking to work from my old mac(2011) to the win10 partition. You just need to enable the networking, type in the address \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx and fast as hell transfers!

I also tried the target disk method, but that didn't work in macOS or win10.

Hope this helps!