Contribute
Register

Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac is compatible / working?

Nice to hear you again hockeylove.
I see you changed mobo. If you're still interested on unlock at 100% your Thunderbolt Display,

I summarize the previous bets
I made some result after some test, and asking on Asrock support on july, in this forum and in other places.
The answers came only from Asrock, they gave me a beta Bios that allowed me to see the Bios screen.
:arrow: (see previous pages)
but the Thunderbolt Display was working partially: only video, sometime firewire 800.

Then I updated to sierra 10.12.6, and after the first Mac hot reboot, everything magically works:
camera, usb and firewire hotplug, and audio, listed as USB audio.
Now I see TB display works partially at first boot, but sometime works at 100% after reboot.
Everything so randomly.

Now Asrock published a new Bios, but I am not so sure to go with it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you not re-install the current BIOS, if the new one turns out to be more problematic?

Motherboard
AS Rock Z270 Fatal1ty ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Thanks for the reply, Pineapple68.

Hmmm. I envisage having the TB interface plugged in all the time so I'm not too worried about having to reboot the machine every time I change a peripheral, but I DO need it to be solid with low latency and no glitching.

The reason I like the sound of this mobo is that it lends itself to a "T" i7 so I could get away with a silent fanless case. The nearest Mac equivalent would be a Mac mini, but people say they can be a bit noisy, and they're only dual-core.

Pretty much my reasoning behind getting this board. However what I didn't know at purchase was that the included TB3 chip is the 'Low Power' 20GB/s chip, rather than the standard 40GB/s chip used in Apple hardware. Until Apple introduce a Mac that uses the LP chip IMHO it's unlikely that it will every work in a half reliable way. I hoped the 2017 MacBook would include a Lowe Power TB3 port - but that's not happened, so I think we're all buggered :(

If you're going to need a working and reliable Thunderbolt port on the Mac side, I would stay away from this board and look at Gigabytes various ATX offerings. With Intel removing royalties on TB3 we can hope that newer ITX boards with better TB3 support will arrive and hence should have "native" Apple driver support.

Having said all that, it's a decent bit of kit, if a little on the expensive side once your factor out Thunderbolt support.

Pretty much my reasoning behind getting this board. However what I didn't know at purchase was that the included TB3 chip is the 'Low Power' 20GB/s chip, rather than the standard 40GB/s chip used in Apple hardware. Until Apple introduce a Mac that uses the LP chip IMHO it's unlikely that it will every work in a half reliable way. I hoped the 2017 MacBook would include a Lowe Power TB3 port - but that's not happened, so I think we're all buggered :(

If you're going to need a working and reliable Thunderbolt port on the Mac side, I would stay away from this board and look at Gigabytes various ATX offerings. With Intel removing royalties on TB3 we can hope that newer ITX boards with better TB3 support will arrive and hence should have "native" Apple driver support.

Having said all that, it's a decent bit of kit, if a little on the expensive side once your factor out Thunderbolt support.

Ah, OK, thanks for sharing that, everything starts making sense now! Sorry you had to find out the hard way }:(

I can't believe how all these PC mobo makers have let Apple such steal a march on them like this. All over the net I've been reading about people wanting mITX with Thunderbolt for years now... we finally get one, and it's half-a%%ed!

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've noticed that on the ASRock site they explicitly mention it has a 40Gb/sec TB3 port, and that a claim that's been on there since January (looking at WaybackEngine for evidence ).

So either there are 2 versions of this board, one with the JHL6240 20Gb/sec chipset that I have, and another with the 40GB/sec DSL6340 chipset, or they have buggered up their advertising.

I've asked ASRock to clarify what chipset is used on this board...

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
So either there are 2 versions of this board, one with the JHL6240 20Gb/sec chipset that I have, and another with the 40GB/sec DSL6340 chipset, or they have buggered up their advertising.
Is it confirmed by Asrock? On Intel site we seen that the chip was a "low power, single version", but they didn't mention
a lower speed.

I think that all the issues with the thunderbolt support on this mobo are because of software:
the bios from Asrock and hackintosh-side. When I tested TB on windows 10 it worked flawless and hot plug (!).
Also, considering the speed and cost of actual Thunderbolt HD, it's hard to fill a 1gb band!

But if marketing has lied selling a 40 gb/s door that's an issue. :thumbdown

Someone with TB has tested the new Bios?

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
It's absolutely a Hackintosh driver issue, because Apple don't use the JHL6240 chipset. It's unclear if the 2-PCI lane JHL6240 does 40Gb/sec, or just 20. I can't see why anyone would use the 4-PCI lane DSL6340 chipset if it doesn't go any faster?

I'm basically hoping that there are 2 versions of the board. If so, then one has got the DSL6340 that might explain why some people say they can get TB3 working and I can't ( apart from TB->Firewire, which is a different thing ).

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I flashed the new 2.3 Bios on my z270.
With this new standard Bios often I can't see the bios screen. also it seem that I can't get
the TB diplay "full working with audio status" at hot reboot.
I didn't see difference in other aspect, so I think I will go back to the custom 2.2A provided for TB support.

I'm basically hoping that there are 2 versions of the board. If so, then one has got the DSL6340 that might explain why some people say they can get TB3 working and I can't ( apart from TB->Firewire, which is a different thing ).
How can I see witch chip it's mounted on my mobo?

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I flashed the new 2.3 Bios on my z270.
With this new standard Bios often I can't see the bios screen. also it seem that I can't get
the TB diplay "full working with audio status" at hot reboot.
I didn't see difference in other aspect, so I think I will go back to the custom 2.2A provided for TB support.

How can I see witch chip it's mounted on my mobo?

Boot into Windows and look in the Device Manager with a Thunderbolt device attached.

Motherboard
Still unnamed
CPU
4670K @ only 4.0 GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The new Bios has broken my UEFI Boot menu, while using my GTX 1070, the boot menu is just the red background with nothing to click. I have to change the boot order and save+exit in the UEFI in order to change boot drive now, minor annoyance but still not too pleased.

Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITXac
CPU
Intel Core I7-6700
Graphics
GTX 1060 / GTX 960 egpu
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just finished some testing tonight. I got my egpu to work in win10, but not in macOS. This may be a driver issue because I can't use my gtx 1060 though the pcie lane without a kernel panic.