Contribute
Register

Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac is compatible / working?

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
and
The question is: where are saved the TB driver?
If we install on a windows 10 installation, it is on that HD, or there is something on UEFI, or on bios?

Understand this by a technical people could be part of solution.
At the moment it seem that TB driver is not loaded on macOS side...

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I don't know biggerJim...
It depend from what you expect and the use professional or not of your Hackintosh.

This mobo support Thunderbolt over this USB-C door; it will be a "need reboot" Thunderbolt, like every Hackintosh now,
this because hot plug is not working (only cold boot TB).
And more, it seem that this mobo use a single door TB chip somewhat random: some time works 100%, sometime partial, sometime no. See my attempts with TB display.

Consider also that there is no "official support" by moderators about Thunderbolt: there is not a dedicated one, like with video or installation, or postinstall. It seems that Thunderbolt was a little taboo.
Reading this thread and other similar you will see single hackintosh users go for a try and then exchange info between them...

So if you want a reliable, hot plug Music DAW, buy a real Mac, but if you are ready to trouble, try this mobo: your TB audio should work after boot, or plugging at clover screen.
:angel:

I don't know biggerJim...
It depend from what you expect and the use professional or not of your Hackintosh.

This mobo support Thunderbolt over this USB-C door; it will be a "need reboot" Thunderbolt, like every Hackintosh now,
this because hot plug is not working (only cold boot TB).
And more, it seem that this mobo use a single door TB chip somewhat random: some time works 100%, sometime partial, sometime no. See my attempts with TB display.

Consider also that there is no "official support" by moderators about Thunderbolt: there is not a dedicated one, like with video or installation, or postinstall. It seems that Thunderbolt was a little taboo.
Reading this thread and other similar you will see single hackintosh users go for a try and then exchange info between them...

So if you want a reliable, hot plug Music DAW, buy a real Mac, but if you are ready to trouble, try this mobo: your TB audio should work after boot, or plugging at clover screen.
:angel:

Thanks for the reply, Pineapple68.

Hmmm. I envisage having the TB interface plugged in all the time so I'm not too worried about having to reboot the machine every time I change a peripheral, but I DO need it to be solid with low latency and no glitching.

The reason I like the sound of this mobo is that it lends itself to a "T" i7 so I could get away with a silent fanless case. The nearest Mac equivalent would be a Mac mini, but people say they can be a bit noisy, and they're only dual-core.

and
The question is: where are saved the TB driver?
If we install on a windows 10 installation, it is on that HD, or there is something on UEFI, or on bios?

Understand this by a technical people could be part of solution.
At the moment it seem that TB driver is not loaded on macOS side...

Looks like a NEW BIOS came out today -8/9/2017 BIOS 2.30 It's supposed to improve stability.

Motherboard
Z97N WIFI
CPU
i7
Graphics
Internal graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think it has to do with ASRock releasing a TB firmware update like the the gigabyte boards. When you install the TB firmware on a gigabyte board, the TB works great. I can get my Thunderbolt display to come on while i'm in my bios. But before the firmware update the gigabyte board respond the same as this ASRock board. It wont even show the boot up process or bios. My thunderbolt display will turn on as soon as the OS boots up, but it's really testy the USB's wont work nor does the mic or camera work on the display. I read somewhere that gigabyte has purchased the rights to use Thunderbolt tech. on the boards that support thunderbolt (thats why the are mentioned on the Thunderbolt web site as supported motherboards and not this ASRock board). ASRock may need to purchase the rights and make this board certified by Thunderbolt. Just my thoughts.

Motherboard
Z97N WIFI
CPU
i7
Graphics
Internal graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been in contact with ASRock since March of this year, trying to work with them with different bios they sent me to see if this can be achieved but no luck. I have not heard from them since May all they said was if anything new comes out they will contact me.

Motherboard
Z97N WIFI
CPU
i7
Graphics
Internal graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ooh by the way Pineapple68 i'm sorry i haven't responded to your post, but I have been very busy lately and haven't been on the site for quite some time. Maybe I"ll have more time to spend on this motherboard and contribute to this forum in the near future. Good luck with your board and I'll stop in and check in from time to time to see what's new....

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Nice to hear you again hockeylove.
I see you changed mobo. If you're still interested on unlock at 100% your Thunderbolt Display,
I have been in contact with ASRock since March of this year,

I summarize the previous bets
I made some result after some test, and asking on Asrock support on july, in this forum and in other places.
The answers came only from Asrock, they gave me a beta Bios that allowed me to see the Bios screen.
:arrow: (see previous pages)
but the Thunderbolt Display was working partially: only video, sometime firewire 800.

Then I updated to sierra 10.12.6, and after the first Mac hot reboot, everything magically works:
camera, usb and firewire hotplug, and audio, listed as USB audio.
Now I see TB display works partially at first boot, but sometime works at 100% after reboot.
Everything so randomly.

Now Asrock published a new Bios, but I am not so sure to go with it.