Contribute
Register

Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac is compatible / working?

Motherboard
AS Rock Z270 Fatal1ty ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've just updated to Firmware 2.2 ( standard ) from 2.1.

Still cannot get MacBook Pro in Thunderbolt Target disk mode to be recognised. Is anyone who reports working Thunderbolt using hard drives, rather than Audio/Video interfaces?

I can get my Firewire hard drives recognised. Using an Apple TB3 -> 2 adapter, plugged into an Apple TB2 -> FW 800 adapter, then plugged into my Firewire drives. In System Profiler the Firewire interface is recognised, but no Thunderbolt hardware is found.

Have no updated to v2.20A of the BIOS. Identical behaviour. Firewire devices connect via TB -> FW adapters work. MacBook Pro in Target disk mode does not. Sigh. The one thing I want this MOBO for was to be able to make an ultra-fast link to my MBP to sync files/folders. Looks like that dream is dead until someone releases a ITX Mobo that uses one of the TB3 chipsets that Apple themselves use. Bugger.

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Why not try a Thunderbolt HD, make a complete backup on MBPro, and then make a restore from backup on hackintosh?
Or directly copy files on a a TB disk?
(you should buy a FAST TB disk in order to really use the Thunderbolt band. I see many slow TB HD sold as "fast" only for a TB logo...)

I am waiting an Apple Thunderbolt Display, I bought one under 500€ from ebay :thumbup:
So I will see directly what's the support

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Why not try a Thunderbolt HD, make a complete backup on MBPro, and then make a restore from backup on hackintosh?
Or directly copy files on a a TB disk?
(you should buy a FAST TB disk in order to really use the Thunderbolt band. I see many slow TB HD sold as "fast" only for a TB logo...)

I am waiting an Apple Thunderbolt Display, I bought one under 500€ from ebay :thumbup:
So I will see directly what's the support

Mainly because Thunderbolt HDs are stupidly expensive and as I don't need one and am 99% certain it's not going to work, seems a bit of a waste. USB3 is fine for data transfer and massively cheaper. However my MBP only has USB2, so copying from USB2 to external HD, then external HD to Hackintosh is teeth grindingly slow. Direct TB to TB is silly fast. But apparently non functional. I guess I can install an HFS+ Writer in Windows, then boot into Window to copy via Thunderbolt, then reset the permissions once back on the Hackintosh side.

Currently I'm LAN syncing with Resilio Sync, but to be honest I don't trust it for my main work folder.

Just thought of one more test I can try. Using Thunderbolt networking to transfer. Will give it a crack tomorrow time permitting.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Yes, you can use the TB3 to Ethernet adapter and try a direct connection.
If your MBP has a ethernet you dont need adapters...

But I think you will have to make some setup on network preferences.

Umm. I'd rather use TB3 to TB3 networking. Hugely faster than adding TB3->ethernet adapters into the mix, and bearing in mind that TB3->TB2->Firewire just magically worked, I'm wondering if by some magic the FW and Ethernet adapters just present themselves as generic devices and don't need TB3 drivers to work.

Looking in Sys/Lib/Extensions I can see for example AppleThunderboltUTDM.kext ( Target Disk Mode I would imagine) but nothing that implies a driver is needed for TB->Firewire or TB->Ethernet.

Slightly loath to reboot as after using the 2.2.0A firmware the Hackintosh refused to boot and my NVMe disk disappeared until I reverted to 2.2.0...

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Intel HD 530, GTX1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Just thought of one more test I can try. Using Thunderbolt networking to transfer. Will give it a crack tomorrow time permitting.

Just to confirm using the "connect Thunderbolt device and Clover boot screen trick" does not* work when attempting to connect using a TB3>TB2 adapter to MBP using Thunderbolt networking. No Thunderbolt interface is recongised in System Profiler or System Preferences -> Network. I await with interest people's experience with other Thnderbolt devices...

* Sorry, missed that rather important word on first edit of this post...

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi to all 'fatality' users,
finally the Thunderbolt Display is arrived and... basically it works!
I got finally a Mac desktop with this elegant display, at a third then originale price
(I mean Mac Pro 2013 six core + Thunderbolt bought on apple last year) :wave:.

Some notes in first tests:
- it not start every time: sometime yes, sometime I have to reboot the hack pro, or unplug cable.
Maybe it's the "connect on clover" issue.
- the built in speaker doesn't work natively => I have to patch them, at the moment using Stereo.
Need an easy guide for audio DSDT...
- it works as hub. I connected my HD firewire and, after cold boot, I see the disk on desktop. :clap:
(Not yet tested a TB disk, but I am pretty sure now)

I will continue using and test in next days.

Attachments

• IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
It seem that on this Mobo, Thunderbolt display wants to be connected immediately after boot, before the clover screen.
In other case, if normally connected, sometime boot correctly, many time no.

Also:
- the webcam doesn't work

I have made some test, with my imac 27" as second input mdp.
At startup the clover screen appear duplicated, but after macOS boot, the TB monitor shut down,
and the imac stay on...
Maybe the mdp signal is already inside the TB. Tried using HDMI -> belkin adapter -> mdp imac,
and the TB display never works.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
In theese days I restored a Windows 10 installation, and installed again the Thunderbolt Drivers:
in Win the TB display works now with Camera, speaker and usb! (that's silly)

But getting on macOs Sierra, nothing change: black screen on many boot, and monitor not fully supported when starts
(no speaker, no camera, no usb).

Every aid or idea would be appreciate from users expert in thunderbolt, video, or owner of TB display!

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
This afternoon I back to my hackintosh again, after a pause and switch off.

And the TB display it's back to a partial support with no luminosity cursor,
no usb audio, :oops:
It seem that this mobo has a random Thunderbolt support on MacOs!

Found also this forum, it seem that TB3 was an issue on this mobo.
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4818&title=z270-fatal1ty-mini-itx-thunderbolt-3-problems

But in this source someone say to try install alternative Os after installing newer Bios
and activate Thunderbolt on Windows. Someone can do this try?

Last edited: