Contribute
Register

Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac is compatible / working?

Motherboard
Asrock 270 Fatality mini-ITX
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Hi I was looking - like many other - for a thunderbolt mini-itx motherboard.
Some days ago I found the "Fatality", also quoted in few post in the forum.
I see that is in the Early adopter buying advice. (and it's now available on ebay.it)

My question are: will work with Clover/macOs?
The thunderbolt 3 port works?

Another old alternative I found is present in a Mac Cube build, this mother board
Intel Next Unit of Computing Board D33217CK (https://thunderbolttechnology.net/product/intel®-nuc-dc3217by-d33217ck)
seem to have a "display thunderbolt (1?)" port...

Thanks in advance

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
It has caught the eye of one or two of the Moderators at Tonymacx86 too. There is a lack of detail on the actual wifi chipset used in the build. The thinking is that it is probably Intel and that it therfore would likely be needing to be changed with something macOS compatible. We do not know at this stage but assume that it should boot with Clover but as far as I am aware it has not been tested yet.

As for the hardware bought in 2013, it is well out of production and these units were produced in small numbers. I think that you would be surprised to find a second hand one on eBay any time soon.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
There is a lack of detail on the actual wifi chipset used in the build
Ok the wifi will be like with the z170n, to replace with broadcom.

But I mean as overall working, like using clover, install MacOs sierra, will work?
I am in trouble if the thunderbolt controller was the same in the Designare...

Also, reading on the official page,
there is a "*Supports USB PD 2.0 up to 12V@3A (36W) charging
Hot Plug is supported on Win 10 only"

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
I think that the board should be able to run macOS, but like any new board there are at this stage unknown factors that may no arise until a few folk have attempted installation.
All new hardware has to some extent an element of risk attached until it is shown to work on a number of verifiable occasions.

Additional work may very well be required to get the higher wattage USB ports functioning in macOS. From what I have read ThunderBolt can be made to work in macOS on the Designare board from Gigabyte. ThunderBolt is an Intel product. Hot plugging ThunderBolt has never been possible when running macOS/OS X on PC hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
Thanks Adrian, I will wait for some week.
I will wait that the Asus Fatality appear in the February buyer guide!

If you want read about thunderbolt, this ironic article is interesting:
http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/total-nightmare-usb-c-thunderbolt-3/
Pay attention at WHAT you plug, not al usb c are same...:|

In theese days I am resusciting an old Powermac G5 given up for lost by a friend, but I was only the GPU.

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
Thanks Adrian, I will wait for some week.
I will wait that the Asus Fatality appear in the February buyer guide!
There is a testing thread for the new hardware and an Early Adopters Buyers guide for Z270 hardware for those that like to live right on the edge and problem solve unsupported hardware. It may well be a month or two before this hardare gets to the Official monthly buyers guide. Stay tuned!
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/special/early-adopters-guide-kaby-lake-200-series

If you want read about thunderbolt, this ironic article is interesting:
http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/total-nightmare-usb-c-thunderbolt-3/
Pay attention at WHAT you plug, not al usb c are same...:|
Thanks for that. I will get a proper read without interruptions later tonight with some luck.

In theese days I am resusciting an old Powermac G5 given up for lost by a friend, but I was only the GPU.
A G5 is an old machine now - it has lasted well - good luck with the project.:thumbup:

Motherboard
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
It may well be a month or two before this hardare gets to the Official monthly buyers guide.
Today I ordered from Korea the pi Case, when it will arrive, I will order the Asrock and the rest of build that I
adviced in buying advice section.

I trust in a basic support of the board and in a successive, progressive unlock of thunderbold ability by the community! :)

to get the higher wattage USB ports functioning in macOS
I have only some doubts about wattage. Thunderbolt drain much Watt? (35W?)

wildwillow

Motherboard
Z170 Deluxe
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
The Wi-Fi/BT combo card on the ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX is Intel. Just had a sneaky peak at the driver.

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU
Intel Core i5-7600
Graphics
Internal HD630
Hi everyone,

My first post here, have been reading the forums for quite some time now.

About to build my first Hackintosh and plan to use this exact motherboard for my HTPC build.

I received my Streacom DB4 case today and can't wait to get started. Look forward to sharing my experience in this forum.

Am supremely interested to hear from anyone who has gotten their hands on this new AsRock mobo.