i5-6500
Graphics
EVGA GTX970 ACX2
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there, I'm trying to install macOS Sierra on my Asrock Z170m Extreme4 (EVGA GeForce GTX 970), but the installer won't boot.
I tried the direct update guide tony's made, since I've been running El Capitan for a while with no major issue's.
After this didn't work (boot without caches and/or injected kexts won't work) I tried to start over completely with Unibeast created Sierra USB. But also this won't boot.
As I was very frustrated I freshly installed El Capitan, but without succes on booting into Sierra installer.
I tried using the iMac 14,2 SystemID but that causes a prohibitted sign (either in the Sierra installer as my current El Capitan), also iMac 17,1 won't boot the installer, but works on El Capitan.
Anyone any suggestions?

I'm having the same issue with the ASRock Z170m Extreme 4, Core i7 6700K Stock Clock, EVGA 980Ti Kingpin, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Ram and the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I tried the recommend BIOS setting but just get stuck at the Installer. I tried -v and every USB Port but still no luck.

Hi there, I'm trying to install macOS Sierra on my Asrock Z170m Extreme4 (EVGA GeForce GTX 970), but the installer won't boot.
I tried the direct update guide tony's made, since I've been running El Capitan for a while with no major issue's.
After this didn't work (boot without caches and/or injected kexts won't work) I tried to start over completely with Unibeast created Sierra USB. But also this won't boot.
As I was very frustrated I freshly installed El Capitan, but without succes on booting into Sierra installer.
I tried using the iMac 14,2 SystemID but that causes a prohibitted sign (either in the Sierra installer as my current El Capitan), also iMac 17,1 won't boot the installer, but works on El Capitan.
Anyone any suggestions?

I tried to start over completely with Unibeast created Sierra USB. But also this won't boot.

• If you don't state what way you created your USB installer how can the readers know if you have chosen Legacy or UEFI boot mode after you launched Unibeast 7.01? What options you have chosen regarding your Graphics card? What choices you have made in your BIOS setup menu? Mistakes in any of them can cause Boot failure.
  • There is no place for "feeling frustrated" when anyone wants to make a Non-mac hardware into a Mac Computer with just macOSSierra or any mac OS X installer!
  • The vast majority who carefully follow all the steps listed in the Guides from Tonymac succeed.
  • If one does not succeed the first time with a thoroughly researched and tested software like Unibeast and Multibeast on multiple MoBO/CPU/Video card combinations with examples listed, the first thing one has to do is to recheck one's own steps with a hard copy of the Installation Guide by the side to verify what was the wrong choice made or what step was overlooked.
  • The next thing to consult is to check if anyone else has succeeded in building with the same MoBo or MoBo very close to yours in the "User Builds" section of this Forum where very dedicated people try hard and share their experience in a step-by step manner. Please check the Link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/user-builds.28/

• If you don't state what way you created your USB installer how can the readers know if you have chosen Legacy or UEFI boot mode after you launched Unibeast 7.01? What options you have chosen regarding your Graphics card? What choices you have made in your BIOS setup menu? Mistakes in any of them can cause Boot failure.
  • There is no place for "feeling frustrated" when anyone wants to make a Non-mac hardware into a Mac Computer with just macOSSierra or any mac OS X installer!
  • The vast majority who carefully follow all the steps listed in the Guides from Tonymac succeed.
  • If one does not succeed the first time with a thoroughly researched and tested software like Unibeast and Multibeast on multiple MoBO/CPU/Video card combinations with examples listed, the first thing one has to do is to recheck one's own steps with a hard copy of the Installation Guide by the side to verify what was the wrong choice made or what step was overlooked.
  • The next thing to consult is to check if anyone else has succeeded in building with the same MoBo or MoBo very close to yours in the "User Builds" section of this Forum where very dedicated people try hard and share their experience in a step-by step manner. Please check the Link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/user-builds.28/
Thanks for the reply!
First, I'd like to point out that I do not post anything before I made sure everything is done by carefully following the guides. So of course I checked over and over and tried several times. You're totally right on the "feeling frustrated" there, thank you for the reminder;).

I'm working with an UEFI bootmode and I've followed the BIOS settings tonymacx86 states in his guide on installing Sierra. As my graphics card is not "an older graphics card" as pointed in the Unibeast Install creater, I did not choose any options there.

I used the search option on the forum, but I'll check out the link and look in that section manually. Thanks for the tips so far.

Thanks for the reply!
First, I'd like to point out that I do not post anything before I made sure everything is done by carefully following the guides. So of course I checked over and over and tried several times. You're totally right on the "feeling frustrated" there, thank you for the reminder;).

I'm working with an UEFI bootmode and I've followed the BIOS settings tonymacx86 states in his guide on installing Sierra. As my graphics card is not "an older graphics card" as pointed in the Unibeast Install creater, I did not choose any options there.

I used the search option on the forum, but I'll check out the link and look in that section manually. Thanks for the tips so far.

Thank you for the clarification of the initial steps in creating and starting the Sierra USB installer disk.
When you stated in your first post that the Sierra USB Installer made in UEFI boot mode and BIOS options all appropriately chosen for the board and the UEFI mode and the USB installer inserted in the USB-2 port and set as Boot 1 position in the BIOS
but the installer won't boot
Did you mean:
The USB Installer does not even initiate the booting process with any screen output at all after F10 was pressed to save the Boot options and Reboot?
Or
Does the installer start some text output and immediately the computer shuts down without ever reaching the Clover Boot Menu ?

Or

Does the USB Installer reach the Clover Boot Manager and with the Boot flags (?) would begin to boot, but the system would immediately shut down?What boot flags were used, if that was the case?

A screen shot of the failing boot screen if can be captured and uploaded will help the readers see what you are able to see.

Thank you for the clarification of the initial steps in creating and starting the Sierra USB installer disk.
When you stated in your first post that the Sierra USB Installer made in UEFI boot mode and BIOS options all appropriately chosen for the board and the UEFI mode and the USB installer inserted in the USB-2 port and set as Boot 1 position in the BIOS
Did you mean:
The USB Installer does not even initiate the booting process with any screen output at all after F10 was pressed to save the Boot options and Reboot?
Or
Does the installer start some text output and immediately the computer shuts down without ever reaching the Clover Boot Menu ?

Or

Does the USB Installer reach the Clover Boot Manager and with the Boot flags (?) would begin to boot, but the system would immediately shut down?What boot flags were used, if that was the case?

A screen shot of the failing boot screen if can be captured and uploaded will help the readers see what you are able to see.

I am able to boot into clover, I can choose the Installer and select flags. As it doesn't boot at all using the flags created by the Unibeast app (use nvidea webdrivers and set nvidea to vesa), this causes a verbose screen with 'system up time (nanoseconds): xxxxxx' as last line, I tried booting "Without caches" so far this succeeded once, when I removed my graphics card out the pc.
Unfortunately the macOS Installer wasn't able to see my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive.

I decided to start over, making a new Unibeast USB, going over the UEFI BIOS settings again and make sure to put the NVMeGeneric kext in the EFI/Clover/Kexts/other folder.
Booted the newly created USB with this flags:
IMG_4882.JPG

So far I've not been able to boot into the macOS installer again. Getting this as last line, sitting there for 15 minutes or so:

IMG_4887.JPG

Thank you once again for the detailed post with images.

In my experience whenever I had encountered the "AppleACPICPU" freeze during the Sierra installer before it can get to the installation screen, I had to redo the installer because some error had occurred in its creation. I have seen posts here that others could "wait out" and finally succeed and a few other 'tricks'.

Another observation I have made about your boot flags is the simultaneous use of BOTH the nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 This to me seem to contradict each other; the former is instructing to ignore NVIDIA kext and the latter to use the installed nvidia.kext

• I suggest using nv_disable=1 alone and boot and try [and then after Webdriver installation change to nvda_drv=1]
  • If it fails, try to create the installer again and try again.
Try the above two suggestions if you have waited long enough on the current boot screen to test if the Installer would finally reach the Installation screen.

Thank you once again for the detailed post with images.

In my experience whenever I had encountered the "AppleACPICPU" freeze during the Sierra installer before it can get to the installation screen, I had to redo the installer because some error had occurred in its creation. I have seen posts here that others could "wait out" and finally succeed and a few other 'tricks'.

Another observation I have made about your boot flags is the simultaneous use of BOTH the nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 This to me seem to contradict each other; the former is instructing to ignore NVIDIA kext and the latter to use the installed nvidia.kext

• I suggest using nv_disable=1 alone and boot and try [and then after Webdriver installation change to nvda_drv=1]
  • If it fails, try to create the installer again and try again.
Try the above two suggestions if you have waited long enough on the current boot screen to test if the Installer would finally reach the Installation screen.
I indeed have waited long enough.. half an hour, no progression.
As you point out concerning the bootflags, those two are selected by default when I press space. Rather a fault in tony's app, or the USB Clover sees my current El Capitan's config.plist.
However I've tried to boot with one of both flags several times, but no luck.
I've remade the USB installer of Sierra and am currently watching the same screen. I'll let it be there for an hour or so, since I've plenty other work to do for now. I'll let you know when I get any further, or when there's no progression after some time.

Thanks for the suggestions once again.

So, I've been trying some things. Still not able to reach the Sierra Installer.
I've installed El Capitan, installed the webdrivers run agdpfix and installed Sierra Multibeast. (I am able to boot to El Capitan without problems now.) Copied the Sierra Installer(10.12.1) from my MacBook Pro by USB to my Hackintosh (as download speed isn't really fast) and run the Installer.
Trying to boot from it (following tony's direct update guide) gives me the following verbose lines, followed by blurry screen and prohibited sign.
IMG_4892.JPG

This is what I get when I boot "without caches, verbose, nv_disable=1 and/or nvda_drv=1" adding "with injected kexts" ends up in "System uptime in nanoseconds : xxxxx"
Tried to boot the installer on my ssd trough my Sierra Unibeast USB, but that ends up in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back