PNY GeForce GTX 960 XLR8 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I've built a few machines with the help of this site, but I just started work on an X99 build, and I fear I have bit of more than I can chew. I'm unable to boot from a Unibeast or Clover USB into installation. It usually stops running after loading the Ethernet devices. I've attached a screen grab of that.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER/3.1
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2400
GFX: Nvidia GTX 460 (will upgrade to 960 after installation)

Here are the guides I've tried:

A: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...motherboard-temporary-guide-os-x-10-10-a.html

B: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...tx-ac-ssd-sm951-6-core-5820k-32gb-gtx970.html

C: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...killer-gtx-980-i7-5820k-update-10-10-2-a.html

I suspect this is an issue with my flags or bios settings. I've tried a number of flags and flag combinations, as recommended in different guides and postings. These include -v, -x, -f, GraphicsEnabler=Yes & No, npci=0x2000, cpus=1, IGPEnabler=Yes.

The ASRock bios has a ton of options, but I've confirmed that the drives are set as AHCI, that VT is disabled, and the Secure Boot is off. I've read that CSM should be on and off, so I've tried both of those options, too.

If anyone has any tips, or knows what steps I can take to start troubleshooting my issues, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 323
Do you plan to install Legacy mode and use Chimera/Chameleon as your boot loader or install UEFI and use Clover as your boot loader?

I'm open to either option. I've never used Clover before starting this project, and am more familiar with Chimera/Chameleon. However, I've tried both guides, and think I understand all the steps and have completed them correctly, but couldn't get either to boot into the installer.

When you say "Legacy Mode," is that the same as Legacy USB Support in the Unibeast installer? If so, I haven't been selecting Legacy USB Support when creating my disk in Unibeast.

I'm open to either option. I've never used Clover before starting this project, and am more familiar with Chimera/Chameleon. However, I've tried both guides, and think I understand all the steps and have completed them correctly, but couldn't get either to boot into the installer.

When you say "Legacy Mode," is that the same as Legacy USB Support in the Unibeast installer? If so, I haven't been selecting Legacy USB Support when creating my disk in Unibeast.

OK, you have X99M Killer board:
keyboard mouse connected to USB ports next to the PS/2 port
UniBeast USB with patched kernel in the USB port between the eSATA and PS/2 port

In UEFI
Under Boot tab,
Set defaults
Enable CSM and set both options to Legacy only
Under Advanced tab
Disable the SuperI/O port (serial port - you probably don't have anything to connect there anyway.)
Disable VT-d

boot with -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1 maxmem= (half of the RAM you have installed)

BTW, if you find a version of Clover that will boot this board with 10.10.4 let me know - I can't get past Aptiofixdrv error anymore. Had it working with 10.10.0, but updating killed it.

Hi,

Thanks for that advice. I've tried those bios settings, ports and flags with Unibeast, and am having the same issue. Freezes after listing the ethernet controllers.

I also tried your flags with -x and -f, with the same result.

Here are a few questions I have, which may or may not be helpful:

1. I'm creating the Unibeast stick on a system running Yosemite 10.10.4, Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Series 6 Award Bios (not UEFI). Does that matter at all? Does it use this machine's kernel to patch the installer kernel?

2. There are a number of kexts in the Extras/Extensions folder on the Unibeast installer. Should I remove any of them before adding VoodooSync.kext?

3. Should I remove one stick of ram (so there's just one 8GB DDR4 stick) and use maxmem=4092 instead of maxmem=8192?

4. I've read that after the ethernet controllers are listed during boot the next step is initializing the graphics card. Could the card be any part of this issue?

Thanks for the help so far.

Hi,

Thanks for that advice. I've tried those bios settings, ports and flags with Unibeast, and am having the same issue. Freezes after listing the ethernet controllers.

I also tried your flags with -x and -f, with the same result.

Here are a few questions I have, which may or may not be helpful:

1. I'm creating the Unibeast stick on a system running Yosemite 10.10.4, Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Series 6 Award Bios (not UEFI). Does that matter at all? Does it use this machine's kernel to patch the installer kernel?

2. There are a number of kexts in the Extras/Extensions folder on the Unibeast installer. Should I remove any of them before adding VoodooSync.kext?

3. Should I remove one stick of ram (so there's just one 8GB DDR4 stick) and use maxmem=4092 instead of maxmem=8192?

4. I've read that after the ethernet controllers are listed during boot the next step is initializing the graphics card. Could the card be any part of this issue?

Thanks for the help so far.

1. No, the script patches the kernel on the UniBeast USB when you run it.
2. No. Did you put in the correct version of VoodooSync? Core count will mess you up if you use the wrong one.
3. Should not be needed to physically remove, just use the lower value in your boot flag if you want to try.
4. Could be. Did the card require nVidia drivers before? I would think the nv_disable=1 would take care of that, but since it doesn't work on my 980, it may not work on your 460. Do you have another known to work card to substitute?

Thanks again for the tips.

The Voodoosync should be correct. It is set to 11, and I have a 6 core chip (I read the math was Cores x 2 - 1).

Tonight I'll try the lower maxmem setting to see if it helps.

I have a GTX 960 in my latest working machine. I know those new cards are problematic, but I can try swapping it out anyway. If nothing else, maybe it'll get to a different part of the boot sequence.

I'll update with findings when I have them.

Changing maxmem and the video card resulted in the same freeze point (after listing the ethernet adapters). That would mean it's not a graphic issue we're dealing with, right?

Is it possible my kernel is not being patched correctly? I don't know how to check that. The last scrolling screen when booting from the USB starts by mentioning some information about the kernel. I've attached that image, not sure if that helps determine if the kernel is correct or not.

Also, I tried a different set of boot flags (-x -f -v npci=0x3000 nv_disable=1) and that brings me to a different error screen, one that talks about errors related to AppleACPIPlatform. I've also attached that screen, in the event it helps troubleshoot.

Finally, is it possible that I just need to let the loader sit for, I don't know, 20 minutes or something after listing the ethernet controllers? I'd love it if the solution was something as totally inane as that.

Thanks again for trying. Hope I can get this thing to work soon.

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0211.jpg
    DSC_0211.jpg
    849.1 KB · Views: 254
You mentioned earlier that you had difficulty booting from Clover in 10.10.4. I'm using Chameleon, but I'm wondering if that's in any way related to my issues, as 10.10.4 is the OS running on my machine that creates the USB, and the versions I'm trying to install.

I have an older Unibeast USB from April with 10.10.2 or 10.10.3 on it. If I copy the OS X installer in the root of that USB into the Applications folder of my old Hackintosh (removing the 10.10.4 version that's there now) and then start from scratch with Unibeast, do you think that may make a difference?

I think I'll try that later today.

Nope, that made no difference. I tried creating the installer on a MacBook Air with Yosemite 10.10.3 and my boot issue seems to be identical. Damn.

I'll keep digging the forums, and hope to turn up something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back