Contribute
Register

Asrock X99 Extreme3 with Xeon E5-1650V3, GTX 980 Ti and OSX 10.11.1 El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I built my system in December with the below:

NCASE M1 V4
Asrock X99E-ITX
Intel Xeon E5-2676v3 2.4ghz (12 cores...this is an ES chip)
32GB DDR4-2133
MSI GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Sandisk Ultra 960GB SSD (Windows 10)
PNY CS1131 480GB SSD (OS X attempt)

I was fully unsuccessful with seemingly all other advice and guides on the internet until I hit this one, the first one to skip unibeast and all the pre-rolled solutions. I'm now up and running with 10.11.4 and the nvidia web driver!

I had lots of issues with the could not allocate memory error relating to the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi file. Tried everything including the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi but nothing worked until I found the below file in the comments of an article somewhere. It seems to be a merged combo of the lowmemfix file and the AprioFixDrv file that seems to clear the memory allocation and allow it to boot just fine. If you're having issues relating to these files upon boot of installer or OS X itself, try replacing them altogether with this one, leaving the filename as is.

Only things I cannot get working are the included wifi+BT mini PCIE card (Azurewave BCM94352HMB) and almost more importantly any sound output. I installed the ALC1150 kext via multibeast but it did not seem to do anything even after a few boots now - nothing shows up in output or input. I have confirmed that my particular mobo does have ALC1150, is there anything else I can do here?

Thanks, your guide is insanely helpful!

:EDIT: Another thing I've noticed that breaks my system is seemingly every time I shut down and turn the system back on, it won't post and will give 5 beeps and shut back down. On the next boot, CSM (compatibility support module) is back enabled, I can tell because it changes the way the BIOS is displayed on my 4K display, and I have to go in and switch it back off to get my OS X install to boot again. Very strange, possibly related to my ES CPU?

Hi FS,

I have a X99E-ITX and I have just realized that this CSM issue is happening to me as well. Did you solve it?

Asrock X99 Extreme3 with Xeon E5-1650V3, GTX 980 Ti and
OSX 10.11.1 El Capitan

This has been a tricky build as basicly none of the solutions for other X99 builds I found on this awesome forum (and a couple of other forums) worked for this Asrock board. So for all of those who would like to build something similiar I've put together this guide on how to install El Capitan.

Hardware

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos SE
Motherboard: Asrock X99 Extreme3
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650V3 6x3,5GHz (12 Threads)
CPU-Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2133 MHz ECC
GPU: Gainward NVidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2-80Plus
Harddrive #1: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 PCIe
Harddrive #2: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SATA
Harddrive #3+4: Western Digital WD4000FYYZ 4TB SATA
Bluetooth: IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 IOGGBU521

See build here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...980-ti-32gb-ddr4-ecc-success.html#post1166033

Installation

1) BIOS Settings

The correct BIOS settings are utterly important!
But first update your BIOS to the latest firmware (I used v1.80).

Settings:
OC Tweaker -- CPU:
Intel SpeedStep Technology = Enabled
Intel Turbo Boost Technology = Enabled
Advanced -- CPU Configuration:

Intel Hyper Threading = Enabled
(Intel Virtualization Technology = Enabled/Disabled makes no difference)
CPU C States Support = Enabled
Package C State = C6(non Retention)
CPU C3 State = Enabled
CPU C6 State = Enabled
Advanced -- Chipset Configuration:

VT-d = Disabled
Advanced -- Super IO Configuration:

Serial Port = Disabled
Advanced -- USB Configuration:

Intel USB 3.0 Mode = see below
Legacy USB Support = Enabled
Legacy USB 3.0 Support = Enabled
(USB Compatibility Patch = Enabled/Disabled makes no difference)
Boot:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) = Disabled
(you might have to enable it for booting from a Linux USB-Stick)

Choose between one of these two options:
USB-OPT-A)
only USB 3.0 ports are available:
Advanced -- USB Configuration -- Intel USB 3.0 Mode=Enabled​
USB-OPT-B)
USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports work, but only at USB 2.0 speed:
Advanced -- USB Configuration -- Intel USB 3.0 Mode=Smart Auto​
(USB seems to be unstable when using USB 2.0 port for mouse/kb and inserting a USB 3.0 Stick in a USB 3.0 port)​

Note: Changing certain settings requires grabbing a new SSDT.aml - e.g. Intel SpeedStep Technology

2) DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml

Without these files nothing will work properly, so make sure you don't skip this step.

• boot Linux, i.e. from a USB-Stick or Live DVD
    (you might have to enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in BIOS)
  • use console to copy DSDT and SSDT to a FAT-Partition on a USB-Stick:
    Code:
    cp /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT /media/<USBSTICK>/dsdt.aml
    cp /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SSDT /media/<USBSTICK>/ssdt.aml
    (you'll have to mount the USB-Stick first and then replace "<USBSTICK>" with the appropriate path)

3) OSX 10.11 USB-Stick

• use Disk Utility and partition your USB-Stick one "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" partition and GUID Partition Table, name the partition "OSX11"
  • download OS X El Capitan via App Store
  • install El Capitan on USB-Stick via Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSX11 --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --no interaction
  • download Clover Installer from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
  • run Clover Installer
    • choose USB-Stick as Install Location
    • customize settings:
      Install for UEFI booting only
      Install Clover in the ESP
      Drivers64UEFI
      DataHubDxe-64
      EmuVariableUefi-64
      OsxAptioFixDrv-64​
      Install RC Scripts on target volume
      (you might want to choose some theme as well)​
  • after Clover installation open EFI partition in Finder
  • copy 'DSDT.aml' and 'SSDT.aml' to 'EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/'
  • remove 'EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi' and copy 'HFSPlus-64.efi' to 'EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/'
    (for 'HFSPlus-64.efi' see downloads below)
  • copy 'AppleIntelE1000e.kext', 'FakeSMC.kext', 'GenericUSBXHCI.kext' and 'NullCPUPowerManagement.kext' to 'EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/'
    (for KEXTs see downloads below)
  • if you have a 6-core CPU copy 'VoodooTSCSync-6core.kext' to 'EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/' or
    if you have a 8-core CPU copy 'VoodooTSCSync-8core.kext' to 'EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/',
    then rename the file in 'EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/' to 'VoodooTSCSync.kext'
    (for 'VoodooTSCSync-xxx.kext' see downloads below)
  • remove 'EFI/CLOVER/config.plist'
  • depending on chosen USB option:
    USB-OPT-A)
    • no additional drivers required
    • copy 'config-setup-usb_option_a.plist' to 'EFI/CLOVER/' and rename it to 'config.plist'
      (for 'config-setup-usb_option_a.plist' see downloads below)
    USB-OPT-B)
    • copy 'FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext' and 'FakePCIID.kext' to 'EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/' and 'EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/'
      (for KEXTs see downloads below)
    • copy 'config-setup-usb_option_b.plist' to 'EFI/CLOVER/' and rename it to 'config.plist'
      (for 'config-setup-usb_option_b.plist' see downloads below)
  • open 'EFI/CLOVER/config.plist' with Clover Configurator
    (Clover Configurator: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/)
    • under SMBIOS use the "generator" button to generate a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS
      View attachment 167265
    • save file and close app
  • copy all files that are necessary for the post-installation to the USB-Stick
  • eject USB-Stick (including EFI partition)

This is how the 'EFI/CLOVER/' directory should look like when your done:

4) OSX 10.11 Installallation

• in BIOS Settings disable Boot -- CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
  • disconnect audio cable (Headphone/Speakers/etc.)
    USB-OPT-A) put USB-Stick in a USB 3.0 port
    USB-OPT-B) put USB-Stick in any USB port​
  • boot from OSX USB-Stick
  • OSX Setup should start up, be patient even if nothing seems to happen anymore, just wait a couple of minutes
  • enter Disk Utility and partition your HDD with one "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" partition and GUID Partition Table
  • install OSX on HDD
    (in case setup is stuck at 100% just wait a while)
  • restart PC
    a) if only USB-Stick is available as start volume in Clover:
    • start OSX setup again, installation should then automaticly continue
      (you might have to repeat this step a couple of times as AndrewL7332 pointed out, but it should work in the end)
    • restart PC and boot from USB-Stick again - but choose HDD as start volume in Clover
    b) if HDD is available as well, choose HDD as start volume in Clover​

• OSX should start up

5) OSX 10.11 Post-Installallation

• in OSX System Preferences -- Security -- General: choose "Allow apps download from: Anywhere"
  • in OSX System Preferences -- Energy Saver: deselect "Wake for Ethernet network access"

• install Clover on HDD using Clover Installer and the same settings as before - but use the HDD as target volume
  • the EFI partition on the HDD should already be mounted, if not use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition on the HDD (should be disk0s1)
  • remove 'EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi' from EFI partition on HDD
  • copy 'DSDT.aml', 'SSDT.aml' and 'HFSPlus-64.efi' to EFI partition on HDD (same paths as before)
    but don't copy any KEXT files !
  • remove 'EFI/CLOVER/config.plist'
    USB-OPT-A) copy 'config-hdd-usb_option_a.plist' to 'EFI/CLOVER/' and rename it to 'config.plist'
    USB-OPT-B) copy 'config-hdd-usb_option_b.plist' to 'EFI/CLOVER/' and rename it to 'config.plist'
    (for 'config-hdd-usb_option_X.plist' see downloads below)​
  • open 'EFI/CLOVER/config.plist' with Clover Configurator
    • under SMBIOS use the "generator" button to generate a MacPro5,1 SMBIOS
    • save file and close app
  • unmount EFI partition
  • run and install MultiBeast (I used version 8.0.1) using the following options:
    View attachment 167268

• use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition on the HDD (should be disk0s1)
  • open the file '/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist' with Clover Configurator
  • under "Boot" in the section "Arguments" deselect the kernel flag "nv_disable=1"
  • save file and close Clover Configurator
  • install NVidia Web Driver for OSX 10.11.1,
    necessary for the GTX 980 Ti and other unsupported NVidia cards
    (NVidia Web Driver: "http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...raphics-drivers-os-x-10-11-1-346-03-03-a.html")
  • reboot from HDD

6) Open issues

• instant wake from sleep when external USB-HUB or some USB drive is connected - at least when using USB-OPT-A.
    Not tested when using USB-OPT-B since USB 3.0 speed was more important than having a trillion USB Ports that only run at 2.0 speed

7) Downloads

Pleeeaseee help I did exactly what you said in the guide, my configuration is (Mobo) ASRock X99 Extreme4, (CPU) Intel Core i7 5820K, (RAM) 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, (GPU) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750Ti, (WiFi PCIe card) TP-Link AC 1900.

I tried different boot flags in Clover and in verbose mode the farest I could possibly made it go for the loading ended in getting stuck with the following boot flags -v npci=0x3000 dart=0 nv_disable=1 debug=8 saying this:

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded <----- (this is the last successful parameter)
pci (build 18:43:02 Jun 23 2016), flags 0xe0000, pfm64 (44cpu) 0x00000000
[ PCI configuration begin ]

and hangs forever at this point

I even tried other boot flags like cpus=1 and npci=0x2000 and -x but sometimes it fails to load at all the loading process or sometimes it stops earlier than with the most successful boot flag I wrote above

PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOING MAD ALREADY :'(((
IMAG0620.jpg

Pleeeaseee help I did exactly what you said in the guide, my configuration is (Mobo) ASRock X99 Extreme4, (CPU) Intel Core i7 5820K, (RAM) 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, (GPU) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750Ti, (WiFi PCIe card) TP-Link AC 1900.

I tried different boot flags in Clover and in verbose mode the farest I could possibly made it go for the loading ended in getting stuck with the following boot flags -v npci=0x3000 dart=0 nv_disable=1 debug=8 saying this:

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded <----- (this is the last successful parameter)
pci (build 18:43:02 Jun 23 2016), flags 0xe0000, pfm64 (44cpu) 0x00000000
[ PCI configuration begin ]

and hangs forever at this point

I even tried other boot flags like cpus=1 and npci=0x2000 and -x but sometimes it fails to load at all the loading process or sometimes it stops earlier than with the most successful boot flag I wrote above

PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOING MAD ALREADY :'(((View attachment 208574

Did you use PCIRootUID=1

Did you use PCIRootUID=1
No I didn't but btw it doesn't matter now. I decided to switch to Windows 10 much easier....it was such a pain to even get to the damn installer, who knows how many more problems would have awaited me after that and with all the updates and such....

Last edited:
No I didn't but btw it doesn't matter now. I decided to switch to Windows 10 much easier....it was such a pain to even get to the damn installer, who knows how many more problems would have awaited me after that and will all the updates and such....

Never mind, its a shame that they make it look so easy but its so full of pitfalls. I am on a Asrock xtream4 X99 with Xeon 12 core, Ive followed all the instructions on this website but still its one error after the other, cant even reach the instal point.

Never mind, its a shame that they make it look so easy but its so full of pitfalls. I am on a Asrock xtream4 X99 with Xeon 12 core, Ive followed all the instructions on this website but still its one error after the other, cant even reach the instal point.
Yeah that's right man, believe me I've tried every possible thing on this site and even from other places and forums on the web and maaaaannnn if I encountered so many damn errors, you solve 1 and 100000 more are awaiting for you. God I even came to a point where I really couldn't find any other solution NOWHERE.....I thought yeah they really make it look so easy and even youtubers, I thought why the hell they always succeed at the first try and I'm sitting here losing years of my life on this, bloody hell at the end of the day I thought well at least having Windows 10 installed it's much better than having here £1500 of stuff that is currently useful to keep paper steady only.....and at the end of the day Windows 10 is very nice too, runs fast for me, I can still work and do exactly the same things as I did with my old Mac and everything is smooooth like oil :).

Yeah that's right man, believe me I've tried every possible thing on this site and even from other places and forums on the web and maaaaannnn if I encountered so many damn errors, you solve 1 and 100000 more are awaiting for you. God I even came to a point where I really couldn't find any other solution NOWHERE.....I thought yeah they really make it look so easy and even youtubers, I thought why the hell they always succeed at the first try and I'm sitting here losing years of my life on this, bloody hell at the end of the day I thought well at least having Windows 10 installed it's much better than having here £1500 of stuff that is currently useful to keep paper steady only.....and at the end of the day Windows 10 is very nice too, runs fast for me, I can still work and do exactly the same things as I did with my old Mac and everything is smooooth like oil :).

I seem to have got mine going but have problems with video and sound, booting up is erratic meaning sometimes it loads and sometimes it dont, gud luck with it

Thank you very much for this guide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 14.29.46.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 14.29.46.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 254
2) DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml

Without these files nothing will work properly, so make sure you don't skip this step.

• boot Linux, i.e. from a USB-Stick or Live DVD
    (you might have to enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in BIOS)
  • use console to copy DSDT and SSDT to a FAT-Partition on a USB-Stick:
    (you'll have to mount the USB-Stick first and then replace "<USBSTICK>" with the appropriate path)

Hey thanks so much for these instructions since no one else has anything this comprehensive,
you put boot linux so just clarifying that I have to install linux (any particular version?)
This step seems important but I'm a little confused to making it work correctly...
and the dsdt and ssdt files are new text files I create correct? Thanks so much!

Thank you so much Tomtomx86 for your guide.
I wouldn't be able to make it work without you !

My config :

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty X99M Killer
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630V3 8x2,4GHz(16 Threads)
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D9DX I4 3U
RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 2133 MHz ECC Registered
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3Gb
Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 500W
Harddrive #1: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 Nvme

I wasn't able to install it directly on the M.2 drive had to install it on a SATA drive.(follow method post #77 :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...r-nvme-m-2-solid-state-drives-released-8.html )

Using NvmExpressDxe-64.efi and NVMeGeneric.kext in clover.

Waiting my Thunderbolt 2 AIC card to arrive to try to install it and connect my Thunderbolt display.

But still some issues :
System reboot after a while.
only USB 3 port working

Not yet tested sound

Did you ever get your Thunderbolt 2 AIC card to work?

I am running 10.11.6 and 10.12.1 on an ASRock X99 Extreme4, but TB is not working. It only works under Windows in PCIe slot #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back