Motherboard
Asus X99-M WS
CPU
E5-2630V4
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
has anyone had success with the ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon Vega 56 (the reference style board) on Mojave? I'm just wondering whether this card works without whatevergreen. I have an RX580 that requires whatevergreen, and a Vega 64 that works with no additional mods. Looking to replace the RX580 with a Vega 56/64 so I can have everything work "out of the box" with no additional mods.

has anyone had success with the ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon Vega 56 (the reference style board) on Mojave? I'm just wondering whether this card works without whatevergreen. I have an RX580 that requires whatevergreen, and a Vega 64 that works with no additional mods. Looking to replace the RX580 with a Vega 56/64 so I can have everything work "out of the box" with no additional mods.

For me, Vega can work without WhateverGreen. The only thing that doesn't work without WhateverGreen is AirPlay video.

For me, Vega can work without WhateverGreen. The only thing that doesn't work without WhateverGreen is AirPlay video.
That’s what I sort of expected based on my experience with VEGA 64, just wondering whether Vega 56 cards work as well. There had also been different experience from different people for RX580 depending on vendor as I recall, so wanted to see whether others have had good luck with this specific one.

Actually, to be more precise, without whatevergreen, my RX580 doesn't do HDMI audio. @pastrychef does HDMI audio out work for you without whatevergreen?

Actually, to be more precise, without whatevergreen, my RX580 doesn't do HDMI audio. @pastrychef does HDMI audio out work for you without whatevergreen?

I believe WhateverGreen is needed for HDMI/DisplayPort audio. Is there a reason you are trying to avoid WhateverGreen? Even without WhateverGreen, Lilu is still needed if you want audio to work...

@pastrychef just another motivation for dropping the $$ to upgrade I guess. Like I said, my Vega 64 worked perfect without whatevergreen, so I was hoping a Vega 56 would work just as well. I have the Vega 64 in my windows gaming box, which I would otherwise just throw in the hackintosh. If AMD had announced an actual new card rather than the RX 590 I might have upgraded the gaming box. Newegg has the ASRock Vega 56 for $350 right now, so tempted.

@pastrychef just another motivation for dropping the $$ to upgrade I guess. Like I said, my Vega 64 worked perfect without whatevergreen, so I was hoping a Vega 56 would work just as well. I have the Vega 64 in my windows gaming box, which I would otherwise just throw in the hackintosh. If AMD had announced an actual new card rather than the RX 590 I might have upgraded the gaming box. Newegg has the ASRock Vega 56 for $350 right now, so tempted.

Vega 56 and 64 behavior should be the same in macOS besides the differences in specs.

That's a great price for the Vega 56.

With both Vega cards I have one is a MSI like @pastrychef and one is XFX they both work without WG however, not all the display ports worked w/o WG. IF you change your SM to any of the headless system SM generally you could get all ports without WG.

I would guess that your RX 580 likely also works without WG but it needs WG to get all the ports going that was my experience with a RX 560.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back