Contribute
Register

ASRock TB3 AIC - Not Booting - Error Loading Kernel Cache (0x9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
Sapphire AMD RX580 8GB Nitro +
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All

Long time reader, first time poster. Great work being done here..

I've built an (almost) working Coffee Lake Hackintosh based around the ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7 and a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ running High Sierra 10.13.5

Everything was working perfect. USB ports (with custom SSDT), 10GBe, USB-C, RX580 with no kexts or patches, sleep/wake etc.. (i'll post a build guide at some point).

Hit a bit of a snag when installing the Thunderbolt 3 AIC. It's working fine under Windows 10. The only thing i have TB3 wise is a 2017 MacBook Pro connected that's detected on Windows as well as in System Information. So i know it works in Windows using the latest ASRock drivers.

Problem occurs when it comes to booting. Clover doesn't seem to get past the Kernel Cache loading phase. Messages that i receive range from "Error Loading Kernel Cache (0x9). When I enable the "slide=0" boot argument i receive an error "Couldn't allocate runtime area" (screenshot included in post).

I've tried all the Aptio memory fix drivers for Clover - no go
I've tried Rehabman Fork of Clover (4444) using the -f option - Hangs at "Start ReadKernelCache"
I tried an "OsXAptioFix2-fix2000" driver using a guide on the forums - Same as above

Interesting the only way it boots is

A) Set the Thunderbolt settings in the UEFI to "Fully Disabled" - defeats the purpose of having the AIC card
B) Set the Thunderbolt security settings in the UEFI to "Secure Connect" - TB card isn't detected.

UEFI Settings for TB3
Advanced \ Intel(R) Thunderbolt
Intel Thunderbolt Technology: Enabled
Security Level: No Security
AR AIC Support: Enabled
TBT Host Router: Enabled​

Also tried alternate UEFI versions available on the ASRock website - not helped

I'm starting to feel that the card just doesn't seem to work however searching various forums, it seems that other ASRock z370 users have had success with Thunderbolt..

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 208
Hey man, I have a very similar build to yours. I am using the gigabyte GC-Apline Ridge card. It seems to work fine in Windows but my experience isn't great in OSX. I can boot to OSX and I can get a flash drive to mount with the Apple THUN3 to THUN2 ->THUN 2 to usb3 adapter. But it wont hotplug. Also it only mounts when booted connected to the machine.

Maybe i can help you with your booting issue. Can you post your config.plist file?

Try changing the Top of lower usable RAM from dynamic to 1TB and use OsxAptioFix2Drv-2000.efi Make sure the TB3 card is in the correct slot on the motherboard

Sorry, I misspoke. Change the Top of usable RAM to 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back