Graphics
NVidia GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This guide started out in the middle of an off topic thread so I decided to move it here for tidiness. :) This guide was for one specific member but I will probably edit to be for a little more general audience when I get a chance.

I know 10.7.5 and 10.8 are right around the corner so I will be sure to try my system on both and update this tutorial accordingly. I'll try to be somewhat punctual with any updates, but there's no guarantee.

EDITED: Added Graphics Card info for NVidia 4xx/5xx series cards
EDITED: Made it look a little prettier..
EDITED: Added HPET BIOS option and PCIRootUID=1
EDITED: Added updating information

Asrock P55 Pro USB3 OS X Lion 10.7.4 Install method

Please read the guide before attempting. Ask any questions before hand and we might avoid some problems.. haha

First of all, this is unfinished but it may steer you into the right direction. This is a method I'm familiar with and I consider the most "legal". This isn't to the T the same method I use but it is very similar. Due to that this guide is not going to be perfect yet. I need to test quite a few things. But I'm pretty busy.. haha I'm posting it now so that you can get a feel for how deep OS X installations can be.

This whole guide is assuming you have only one hard drive connected and it is wiped (Or full of data you don't care about)

Preparation

First comes first, boot up the computer and hold down delete to get into the BIOS.
I don't have the computer in front of me at this very moment so I don't have exact instructions here, but find your storage options and switch your SATA ports from IDE to AHCI. NOTE:Don't try to boot Windows if it was installed before this option was changed. It will fail to boot, and I believe it could ruin the install. The solution is simple, reinstall Windows with this option on AHCI and you won't have to switch it every time you boot into Windows. I'm sure there are registry hacks to fix this problem and switch Windows to AHCI mode but do those at your own risk. AHCI is the newer mode and it has more features than IDE I would recommend staying on this mode for all future installs of Windows, OS X, and Linux. If you have an SSD I believe that it won't run at full speed unless AHCI is enabled so there's a chance it may already be enabled. Also make sure you go to the advanced tab in the BIOS and enable ACPI HPET Table.

For the next step there's a few different methods. I'm gonna outline one. In order to install Lion, you need a working install of Snow Leopard or newer on any computer you have access to. So I would recommend buying, getting a hold of one from a friend, or if this is your cup of tea, downloading, a copy of the Snow Leopard retail disk. I really don't recommend downloading it though.

Installing Snow Leopard

Regardless, once you have a retail 10.6, or Snow Leopard disk, now all you need is a way to boot to it correctly. This part I had some problems with but I found a boot CD that should work. Download iBoot from here and burn it to a CD. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125

When the boot loader comes up take the disk out and put in the Snow Leopard disk. I haven't used this particular bootloader before, but you should be able to type a boot command. For this motherboard you need to type "npci=0x2000" every time you boot OS X until we use Multibeast at the end. I would recommend "-v npci=0x2000" so that you can see what it's doing so if it breaks you can see what broke. NOTE: For booting Snow Leopard use the following boot arguments: "-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000"

When/If it boots up at the top go to Utilities and then disk utility. What I usually do is have a Snow Leopard Rescue install.. So if I break something I can use Snow Leopard to fix it. And then I have another Partition that we use to put the Lion Installer on later and then one last partition to save for when we get Lion installed and working. I would go to the partition tab and select a 3 partition setup and use the last of the 3 partitions for our Snow Leopard Rescue. The size of this partition is up to you. I recommend about 20GB unless you know you will need more or less. It's really up to you. The least I, personally, would ever give would be around 8GB. Then after you set up that partition, set the middle partition to around 8GB and I would call it Lion Installer or something so that we remember. And then the First partition should take up the rest of the space and we'll put Lion on it in the end. Make sure all the partitions you make are Mac OS Journaled or whatever. Not NTFS or FAT. NOTE: I now realize you may want a 4th partition for Windows, make sure it is NTFS or FAT so a Windows installer will recognize it. Apply changes and close out of Disk Utility.

Once you have set up the HDD you can click your Snow Leopard Rescue partition and install Snow Leopard. When it's done you should put that boot disk back in and boot to it. You should see your new Snow Leopard partition. Add the boot commands "-v npci=0x2000" and boot it. If all goes well you should be at the Snow Leopard desktop.

NEW:

It has come to my knowledge that I completely forgot to add updating Snow Leopard instructions. Here we go...
Download the combo update from here and save a copy on a flash drive. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349
Install it but DO NOT REBOOT, much like what you see at the end of the tutorial. Just leave the "You need to reboot"(paraphrasing...) window up and do the following.
Download Multibeast from here. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125
Select the following options in Multibeast:
EasyBeast Install
System Utilities
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Bootloaders/ and tick Chameleon(I believe Chameleon was the main bootloader back then. I don't have a Snow machine to go look at so bear with me and install a bootloader from here.)
Now install.

When it's done, now you can take the leap and reboot.

If you see the Snow Leopard desktop again you have succeeded. :)

Getting and Installing Lion

Now is when you would open the App Store and buy Lion. I recommend using this tutorial for the process. http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html
Follow the guide until you hit Step 5. Make sure you boot that Lion Installer with the boot disk and "-v npci=0x2000" Once you're booted into that installer partition you'll want to install Lion onto the biggest Mac OS Journaled partition. Once installed boot into your fresh install of lion with the boot disk as you have been and "-v npci=0x2000"
Hopefully now you're at the Lion desktop

NOTE: If you run into problems booting into the Installer partition try running Multibeast for Snow Leopard and installing a new bootloader. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125

I just wanna pause here for a second and say, I wrote this entire guide in a couple hours using info I know about OS X and our motherboard off the top of my head. There's bound to be issues and I apologize if you run into snags. But really, thats what this whole community is about. Trial and error. But it pays off if you can get a working product and I really hope I can help.. haha If you have any problems at all message me or whatever. And I'll tweak the guide.

Setting up Lion for your hardware
Usually the hard part..

Once you're in Lion you'll want to go and get Multibeast for Lion http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125
Open up Multibeast and when you get to the list of options with check boxes here is the list of options you should choose.

EasyBeast Install
System Utilities and the sub item
Then navigate by way of the arrows on the left to...
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Non-DSDT HDAEnabler/
and tick the ALC892 Option
Then...
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Patched AppleHDA/
and tick the ALC892 Option
This should enable your Audio when you reboot :)
Now for Graphics.. Usually the tricky part.. But it's very straight forward for 4 and 5 series NVidia cards now. :)
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Graphics/NVIDIA 4xx/5xx Support/
and tick 10.7.2+ Combo OpenCL Enabler
Now I would go into...
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Miscellaneous/
and tick USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas and Etron for USB 3 although I have never tested it because I have no USB 3 devices.
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Network/
and tick Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet v0.0.90
/Drivers & Bootloaders/Bootloaders/
and tick Chimera v1.10.0 r1394
and last but not least..
/Customization/System Definitions/Mac Pro/
and tick MacPro 3,1

And continue and install and DON'T reboot..

Download this and install it for even better graphics support under 10.7.3 ONLY..
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html

If it says your computer isn't supported or something reboot and try it again.

Now your computer should...
Be running OS 10.7.3
Ask you what partition you want to boot to without using the boot CD.
Not require "-v npci=0x2000" every boot.
Show higher resolutions than 1024x768x32
Have 3d/OpenCL/CUDA/QE/CI support
Have working sound.
Have working USB 3.0. (Never been able to test.)
Have working Internet. (If using built in motherboard ethernet port.)
Think it's a Mac Pro from Early 2008 in About this Mac when you click the Apple Logo.

Updating to 10.7.4

Now I would first test everything I described and make sure it's working. Then I would update to 10.7.4 through here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524, but don't reboot after it is done. After it is done and asks you to reboot or whatever, run Multibeast again with the same options and then download and install this newer driver for 10.7.4 http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f06-driver.html and then you can reboot. Go into about this mac again and it should say Version 10.7.4.

And that's the gist of it. :)

Every time an update comes out you should look around the websites in this community to make sure the update is safe to update to. Then you will always need to reinstall your Multibeast setup just in case. I recommend always downloading the updates from Apple's website so you can Multibeast immediately after you update to ensure you can reboot. Just Google 10.7.X combo and you should find it. Although you may want to look for the not-combo one because they have smaller file sizes.

Ozzzzysh said:
No problem :) This is the stuff I love to do. It took me months to get OS X working for the first time because no one could help me, so I'm trying to make sure I can help people over that hump I got stuck in. lol

Awesome guide Ozzzzysh! Man, again I really appreciate you taking the time to put this together. You just saved me many hours of stress. Its definitely going to help me out alot. Much respect! :D

Hi Ozzzzysh

Sorry I haven't posted in a lil while. I was getting everything I needed to do the install. Now I have a problem. I have a retail disc of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and I built an Airport card using a BCM94322MC card installed on a mini pci-e to pci-e x1 adapter. I downloaded and burned the CD image of rBoot. I get a "mach kernel" message. I tried iBoot, iBoot Legacy, and rBoot Legacy....none works, they either freeze up, or the little loading icon never stops spinning, or I get a message to restart computer but when I do same things happen again. Don't know what to do here. :banghead: Is there another bootloader? Just so you know, the only things installed on the mb are an NVidia EVGA GT520 video card, a SIIG II firewire card, the Airport card, and one 1TB SATA harddrive. BIOS is set correctly AHCI and to boot from CD/DVD. I even burned duplicate copies of the bootloaders, nothing works.
Any suggestions?

When you boot to the discs are you putting in the boot arguements?

I believe you press f8 or something when you've booted to iBoot and then you can type.

You need to use "-v npci=0x2000" every time you boot until we're done.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply. :)

Hey Ozzzzysh

I tried that...it freezes at the following:
Controller: Intel PCH (vendor ID:8086, device ID:3b56)
[RealtekRTL8]

Tried a few times...no luck!

Is there any chance you could take a photo of the screen it hangs at? I just wanna see how for in the process it is. I'm not by any means a genius at this stuff but I'll try my best to troubleshoot.

Here's two screenshots Ozzzzysh...what do you think??

Attachments

• Shot1.JPG
    Shot1.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 567
  • Shot2.JPG
    Shot2.JPG
    585.6 KB · Views: 483
Is that from booting iboot? For now on we're going to be booting iboot(not legacy).

And in your BIOS do you have both storage options set to AHCI and HPET Support enabled?

EDIT: HPET support is somewhere else not in storage..

Do you have the latest BIOS update for the motherboard? Probably not a big issues but could be one more step to troubleshoot this.

Yeah that is booting from iBoot not Legacy. AHCI is enabled, dont know what HPET is, never saw that in my BIOS. Also, BIOS is updated to the latest 1.5 version.

In the bios go to the advanced tab and go to ACPI Config.
Make sure ACPI HPET Table is Enabled.

After that try "-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000" when you boot.

EDIT: I've also heard that it's a good idea to boot with no more than 4gb of RAM installed.

I'm sorry but we very well may be chickens running around with our heads cut off for a bit.. lol Troubleshooting sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back