Contribute
Register

ASRock Deskmini 110 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running a NVME drive in the Deskmini? I tried to install a 960 Evo today, used RehabMan's NVME script, put the NVMeHackr kext into S/L/E and got a Kernel Panic while booting. Interestingly Clover boots El Capitan just fine without the M.2 SSD installed. I'm on 10.11.6 and Bios 1.41, any ideas?

Success. Just got my ASRock Deskmini 110 and got Sierra 10.12.5 running in no time. I have 32G memory on it with two Samsung 850 SSD and the latest Intel Core i7‑7700K Kaby Lake processor. Followed various instructions which I won't be able to repeat again :) But I have a good Carbon Copy backup and I can alternate between the 2 SSD drives when I need to. And forgot, update the latest BIOS to 7.0 and works fine as well.

That being said my HDMI video does not work. I can only bout in DP but if I switch to HDMI then it gets stuck at booting. Anything I missed? Any patch? or setting?

Cheers and thanks

exiled, are you still using this combo? I bought the Deskmini and am thinking about processors...would love to go with the 7700K if it works ok with the PS.

-Jim

Got into the same issue under 10.12.6.

It seemed that at leaset for Deskmini, Multibeast currently cannot install video driver correctly for HD 630.

thank you. Copying your EFI folder made my system run again.

After upgrading to 12.5 my boot process stuck at 70%. I was able to boot when I changed the FakeID to 0x12345678 but the graphics was glitchy and VLC did not play any movie. I updated Multibeast but no success.

Could you share what you exactly did .. "upgrading some kext in clover folder" :) I would like to understand (a bit) what I should have been doing to get my deskmini to run. Every macOS update before 12.5 was without any problem.

thanks, Axel

=> mount the EFI partition
mkdir /mnt
mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mnt
cd /mnt/EFI

Yes still running this combo and is fine as of now. 7700K works perfect. I am still on 10.12.5

exiled, are you still using this combo? I bought the Deskmini and am thinking about processors...would love to go with the 7700K if it works ok with the PS.

-Jim

If is just a server no need for wi-fi or bluetooth. Kind of silly question :) macOS will be fine :)

Hey guys...

Quick question. I'm going to be building out one of these machines in the next week (parts are on the way). This thread has been super-helpful in getting ready and selecting hardware. So thank you for that.

My question is - is wi-fi and Bluetooth necessary in any way for macOS to function properly? My intended use for this machine will be in a mostly server role and it will be connected via Ethernet at all times. So if I can get away without buying the Broadcom card but still retaining all macOS functionality, that would be great! But if it's required for something (App Store, etc.) then I will get one.

Thanks in advance!

And thanks to Colonel Panic for that awesome guide! I haven't used it yet, but read through and it's amazingly detailed!

Anyone running a NVME drive in the Deskmini? I tried to install a 960 Evo today, used RehabMan's NVME script, put the NVMeHackr kext into S/L/E and got a Kernel Panic while booting. Interestingly Clover boots El Capitan just fine without the M.2 SSD installed. I'm on 10.11.6 and Bios 1.41, any ideas?
Managed to fix it by deleting the original IONVMeFamily.kext. Don't plan to upgrade anytime soon, at least as long as High Sierra isn't out.

Just finished setting up my first hackintosh, ever. It was a bit intimidating when I first read the instructions but everything went super smooth and I got the system up and running in less than an hour using Colonel-panic guide. One of the good things is the wifi card I used wasn't even the one that was recommended and it worked right after the fresh install of the lastest osx (this was even before using the multibeast). I tried all the functions that Id ever need and all were ok (iMessage didn't work, gave me an activation error or something like that). Grabbed a copy of final cut pro installed and made a 15mins 1080p movie clip no problem. However, the guide didn't ready mentioned how to set the machine so it can dual boot after OS X installation.

Last edited:
I have compiled a very detailed guide to setting up an AsRock 110m Deskmini as a dual-boot machine. This guide is aimed at first time builders and assumes no prior experience. To my mind the Deskmini is the perfect small form-factor machine and is a more than worthy replacement for a Mac Mini. It is whisper quiet and has very low power consumption, making it the perfect (always on) home server, in these days of expensive electricity. Put an i5 or i7 6000 series CPU in there and the performance is really outstanding (Geekbench 4, single thread 4700; multi-thread 13,400, i5-6500). I have attached the setup guide which runs to over 20 pages. There is a lot of detail in there, since it assumes a first time builder with no detailed knowledge of the procedures. However, if followed carefully, it is not particularly difficult. I have not developed this procedure - it is simply a compilation of ideas from other, much more savvy users than I. My thanks to all who have assisted. Hopefully, I have acknowledged all such contributors in the guide. If not, the omission is unintentional. I have also attached a copy of my config.plist (with BoardID and Serial Numbers deleted). Given the fixed nature of the Deskmini's hardware, it would be great if some creative whiz could put all this together into an off-the shelf installation and setup tool. Good luck with your installs.
I followed your guide and got everything I need to work the first try. However, the guide didn't really mention on how to dual boot after setup is completed. I installed Windows 10 on the NVMe drive (as I like that to be my daily driver). The OS X was installed on a SSD drive after. Now I can't get Windows 10 to boot up. I hit F11 then choose the drive with the Windows 10 and the screen just stayed dark. Can you give instruction on how to dual boot from there? Thank you in advance.

I followed your guide and got everything I need to work the first try. However, the guide didn't really mention on how to dual boot after setup is completed. I installed Windows 10 on the NVMe drive (as I like that to be my daily driver). The OS X was installed on a SSD drive after. Now I can't get Windows 10 to boot up. I hit F11 then choose the drive with the Windows 10 and the screen just stayed dark. Can you give instruction on how to dual boot from there? Thank you in advance.
You should be able to boot Windows 10 from Clover.

You should be able to boot Windows 10 from Clover.

I did tried to boot with clover but the system still hangs with a dark screen :(. I was wondering if installing OS X first and Windows 10 after would make a difference. Perhaps I need to change some of the BIOS setting after install OS X for dual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back