Contribute
Register

ASRock Deskmini 110 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW here are some benchmarks and disk speed results for my Asrock DeskMini 110.
None of this would have been possible without the generous sharing of information and plist's of freesby
Geekbench.jpeg
Geekbench compared.jpeg
IMG_3406.jpg

DeskMini 110 - i7-7700 16GB (8X2) Dual Channel 2400 - Samsung 960 pro M.2 512GB - 1TB 2.5 HD

Last edited:
Okay guys. I'm back again pleading for help. I think at this point I have my EFI and Extensions folders totally messed up and need help rebuilding them/narrowing down what I need and don't need. I would greatly appreciate the help as this is my main media server machine. I can't afford to have it offline for an extended period of time. Here's where I stand:

I have the EFI folder that @freesby shared a few posts above loaded onto my EFI partition. I modified the config.plist to match my SMBIOS and all that good stuff. On 10.13.1 the system works fine. I tried updating to 10.13.3 - both via the App Store and downloading the Combo Update - and it installed. But now I get a kernel panic almost immediately after the Apple logo comes up during boot. I tried to get a pic or see what it says but it's too fast. I've attached the log file here. I'm also attaching my zipped EFI folder. Hopefully this can help diagnose my issue.

Thanks in advance, guys.

I wound up figuring this out. Took hours and hours of searching and rebooting (I never want to shut this machine down again, lol), but it turned out to be my own error. It would appear that even though I updated the proper Kexts on the EFI partition, freesby's config.plist was set to load the ones from /L/E first - which were older versions. Once I updated those, it booted right up. What led me to this conclusion was this thread (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330418-kp-after-updating-to-macos-10132/) on InsanelyMac. One user suggested booting into Single User mode and typing exit at the prompt. At first look this appeared to just lock up the system, but then I noticed that the Screen Sharing session I had open on my laptop had reconnected and showed the rest of the update procedure. The computer could be used as normal through Screen Sharing so I knew it had to be kext/graphics related. Turns out that's exactly what it was!

Hope this helps anyone else who runs into the same issue as me. It was definitely a learning experience and has left me ever-so-slightly more confident in my Hackintosh troubleshooting skills! :lol:

Hi all you deskmini hackers! My desk mini is still running great and I just finished a successful reinstall/upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.3 I had 10.13.1 but the updates didn't work like alot of folks found out. I built a new USB with latest unibeast.

Still have audio to do since the latest MBeast doesn't have the driver anymore. Tips are welcome. Those Kaby I7's with nvme 960's are drool worthy builds. Want! just can't justify it yet. Keep on keepin on.

So I currently have a hack running an old 4770k and 10.11, but I'm trying to update to a smaller form factor and increased system speeds. Here is my build.

Deskmini on Rev 7.4 Firmware
32GB 2400Mhz RAM
1TB Samsung 960 evo NVMe
2* 2TB seagate Firecuda SSHDs
Broadcom BCM94352Z wifi/bluetooth card

I followed the guide from page 14 but when I boot to the installer I just get the apple logo and it doesn't go anywhere from there.
*update. I got it to boot using cpuid 0x0506E3 and intelgfxid 0x19168086.
I then copied the NVMe drive info from this page https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme for 10.12.0 and was able to format the drive and install the OS.

Working
Graphics - 16,1 system definition, lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsfixup.kext, NO fakecpuid or fakepciid_intel_HD_graphics, ig-platform-id 0x59120000
Wifi - added text from guide on page 14, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext
NVMe - guide from page 14 works just add text to the config file.
Ethernet - IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Bluetooth - Did not work with 18,1 works with 16,1 and 17,1. Need BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

Not Working
Audio - have a USB device that is working no kexts needed. USBinjectall.kext probably is all that is needed. takes a little while to register as a device.

Messed around with system definitions. iMac17,1 works well and MacPro6,1. 18,(1,2,3) all broke bluetooth for me. Not sure what the implications are for changing from iMac to MacPro definitions.

I am testing stability and such now. I think I may be ready to copy my data over soon. I can live without bluetooth and only using usb audio for now. HDMI audio sucks because you lose control on the keyboard.

I will update as I progress.

LOs5wxL.png

Last edited:
How is 10.13 working out for everyone? I'm going to build my second one of these and use 10.13 and an NVME SSD. So far, still happy with my original build except occasional graphics glitch (I am using 4K via DisplayPort) and I didn't get bluetooth working (although I didn't try too hard).

How is 10.13 working out for everyone? I'm going to build my second one of these and use 10.13 and an NVME SSD. So far, still happy with my original build except occasional graphics glitch (I am using 4K via DisplayPort) and I didn't get bluetooth working (although I didn't try too hard).

Hi, i just removed a i3-7100 and replaced it with a i7-7700 and the graphics-glitches are totally gone! Absolute stable graphics on my 4K DELL 2715Q now. So, maybe there is just another graphics-id needed to be injected in config.plist for the 7100 CPU, i don't know. But with the i7-7700 and 32GB 2400 RAM i'm totally satisfied with this build which is currently running under the latest 10.13.4.

Only one problem remaining: Sound gone after sleep. All else is working good for me. My configuration:

- Deskmini 110
- 32 GB DDR2400 RAM
- i7-7700
- 512GB nvme-SSD SAMSUNG EVO 960
- 2 x 2TB HD FireCuda
- 1 x WLAN/Bluetooth m.2 Card complete native supportet OOB (MacBook Air Module)

This maxed-out Build gives me 3 x USB 3, 3 x USB2, DisplayPort with Sound, GB-LAN.

A Big "Thank you" to @freesby for the great ressources and support in this thread!

Hi,

I have been running Sierra 10.12.6 and just upgraded to High Sierra. In both cases the Deskmini boots fine, HD graphics seems to be recognized, and I have sound.

The only issue is that every so often (every few minutes) the video signal drops out completely for about 1 second (black screen). It then returns to normal. This behavior seems to be triggered by some graphics intensive tasks (e.g. if I open a web page with lots of animation / video, or scroll quickly through a web page). When at rest, or simply navigating the desktop/ folders, the video output is fine. Interestingly, some tasks that are graphics intensive (e.g. playing a high res video on youtube, do not trigger the problem).

This is not the same problem as 'screen flickering caused by Kaby Lake HD 630 graphics not recognized'. I have had that problem in the past, and it looks quite different. With that issue the screen flickers continuously, even during basic tasks such as opening a window.

I am using a 4K screen over a DP connection, but at a resolution of 2560 * 1990 (text too small at full 4K).

Has anyone experienced similar behavior, or have a solution?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have been running Sierra 10.12.6 and just upgraded to High Sierra. In both cases the Deskmini boots fine, HD graphics seems to be recognized, and I have sound.

The only issue is that every so often (every few minutes) the video signal drops out completely for about 1 second (black screen). It then returns to normal. This behavior seems to be triggered by some graphics intensive tasks (e.g. if I open a web page with lots of animation / video, or scroll quickly through a web page). When at rest, or simply navigating the desktop/ folders, the video output is fine. Interestingly, some tasks that are graphics intensive (e.g. playing a high res video on youtube, do not trigger the problem).

This is not the same problem as 'screen flickering caused by Kaby Lake HD 630 graphics not recognized'. I have had that problem in the past, and it looks quite different. With that issue the screen flickers continuously, even during basic tasks such as opening a window.

I am using a 4K screen over a DP connection, but at a resolution of 2560 * 1990 (text too small at full 4K).

Has anyone experienced similar behavior, or have a solution?

Thanks.

I think the occasional flickering issue was originated from bug in the AppleIntelKBLGraphics*.kext.
In detail, the flickering arises some specific situation:
Kabylake CPU, integrated GPU, DP, 4K single monitor, HiDPI setting.

Solution: Spoof to Skylake GPU and use Skylake driver : AppleIntelSKLGraphics*.kext

config.plist:
ig-platform-id : 0x19120000
IntelGFX : 0x19128086

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/tree/master/hotpatch
download SSDT-IGPU.dsl and SSDT-SKLSPF.dsl, and compile to aml by using MaciASL, and put these aml files to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory. (compiled aml files are attached)

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads/
You also need FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext files.

and, checkup the loaded kexts "AppleIntelSKLGraphics*.kext", at the Apple icon -> About This Mac -> System report -> Extensions.

Enjoy,

Attachments

• SSDT-IGPU.aml
    5.3 KB · Views: 129
  • SSDT-SKLSPF.aml
    1.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I think the occasional flickering issue was originated from bug in the AppleIntelKBLGraphics*.kext.
In detail, the flickering arises some specific situation:
Kabylake CPU, integrated GPU, DP, 4K single monitor, HiDPI setting.

Solution: Spoof to Skylake GPU and use Skylake driver : AppleIntelSKLGraphics*.kext

config.plist:
ig-platform-id : 0x19120000
IntelGFX : 0x19128086

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/tree/master/hotpatch
download SSDT-IGPU.dsl and SSDT-SKLSPF.dsl, and compile to aml by using MaciASL, and put these aml files to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory. (compiled aml files are attached)

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads/
You also need FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext files.

and, checkup the loaded kexts "AppleIntelSKLGraphics*.kext", at the Apple icon -> About This Mac -> System report -> Extensions.

Enjoy,

Note that SSDT-SKLSPF.aml uses ig-platform-id 0x19160002 for device-id 0x5912.
(the ACPI code overrides your config.plist setting of 0x19120000).
You can verify in ioreg.

No real need for the two SSDTs, as you can set the same with config.plist.

I use the SSDTs for graphics injection in guides where the hardware is varied. It allows a single config.plist/ACPI setup to be used on many different hardware configurations.

For a single computer with known hardware, such a generic approach is not necessary, and having the setting in config.plist is a bit more convenient as it can be changed easily from the Clover GUI.

Note that SSDT-SKLSPF.aml uses ig-platform-id 0x19160002 for device-id 0x5912.
(the ACPI code overrides your config.plist setting of 0x19120000).
You can verify in ioreg.

No real need for the two SSDTs, as you can set the same with config.plist.

I use the SSDTs for graphics injection in guides where the hardware is varied. It allows a single config.plist/ACPI setup to be used on many different hardware configurations.

For a single computer with known hardware, such a generic approach is not necessary, and having the setting in config.plist is a bit more convenient as it can be changed easily from the Clover GUI.

Thanks a lot, I confirm your comments.

The ig-platform-id was superceded by the aml files, and the ioreg shows 0x19160002 as you noted.
I tried the SKL spoofing without two amls, and tested by using 0x19160002(ig-paltform-id) in the config.plist.
The spoofing does not work, and the KBL kexts are loaded in my system.

The SKL spoofing works well just by using two amls.

Thanks,
I'm really grateful to you, RM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back