Contribute
Register

"As of OS X 10.9.2, Ivy Bridge E/EP based systems ... workarounds are necessary"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
i7 930
Graphics
Palit NE5X460SF1102 GeForce GTX 460
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The July 2014 Buyer's Guide says the following. I bolded the sentence I would like to know more about.

CustoMac Pro Socket 2011
These rigs are the most powerful single CPU systems you can build. The C606 and x79 motherboards listed here also have 8 RAM slots supporting up to 64GB- twice the maximum of Socket 1150 builds. As of OS X 10.9.2, Ivy Bridge E/EP based systems are working with the native kernel, however workarounds are necessary for full support.

My question is: what workarounds are necessary, and what problems are they overcoming? Have the problems gotten better or worse with OS/X releases since 10.9.2?

I only care about running Adobe Premiere CC 2014 with 4 monitors, possibly via 2 dual output video cards. Audio is handled by an RME Fireface UFX so no worries in that department.

Thanks, Mike

One of the main issues to over come with a socket 2011 build is getting cpu power management
and speedstep to work. Sometimes getting sleep to work is also a problem. This guide by
Shilohh i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]
shows in great detail what needs doing with the X79 R4E motherboard.

You'll also need to edit your DSDT and create an SSDT to get a fully functional system. It's not a
minor undertaking compared to a socket 1150 build with an Asus or GA motherboard. In the end
you'll know many times more about how a Mac works under the hood.

OMG, 63 pages of postings! I cannot devote days to figuring this stuff out and I don't want to know how Macs work any more than I have to. Hopefully over time others will package this up better.

I wonder if Yosemite will help clean up Ivy Bridge support, or if it will add more complexity?

Thanks, Mike

OMG, 63 pages of postings! I cannot devote days to figuring this stuff out and I don't want to know how Macs work any more than I have to. Hopefully over time others will package this up better.

I wonder if Yosemite will help clean up Ivy Bridge support, or if it will add more complexity?

Thanks, Mike
That's right X79 builds and complexity are almost synonymous. That's why many will go with the 4 Core 4790K, an Asus or GA motherboard and then over clock it for better performance. Saves a lot of the time and effort it takes to get a fully working system. It could get better with the next Mac Pro refresh, Haswell E and the X99 chipset but who knows? I don't have a functioning crystal ball to predict what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back