Contribute
Register

Are Vega, OpenCL... working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Uningine try custom setting in ultra but disable " anti-aliasing" it's the multiscreen x2, x4, x8 setting that causes bugs for me. The latest beta update sank the scores a bit for the beta 4-5 version but no stability for Unigine. Something else I've noticed is the Skylake setup with 30 bit color is buggy but pentium with 24 bit runs like a champ.
Turning off AA worked thanks, I have another question; I saw in your previous post that your 650Watt PSU wasn't enough and you upgraded it, so it gained some performance.
In my case I can fit only a small form factor sfx PSUs which currently I have is 600Watt, the most powerful sfx I saw in the market is a 700Watt, so do you think that'll be enough to drive my RX Vega 64?

For now I can see the whole system power consumption goes up to 340Watt on heavy games, on light games power consumption is 150 to 200 Watt, do you still think my 600Watt PSU is not enough, or its my wall power socket source not feeding the system right?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Actually what bothers me personally is not the scores as they are just fine there where they are, what bothers me is the crashes on all games, DaVinci resolve, FCPX, Unigine Heaven 4 and even video playback with Google Chrome.
Maybe these software not developed for HBM2 or its the Beta OS X fault, I don't know.

How bad are these crashes? Occasional? Or completely unstable?

Great scores are completely pointless if they don't translate into actual performance in the apps/games you want to use...

How bad are these crashes? Occasional? Or completely unstable?

Great scores are completely pointless if they don't translate into actual performance in the apps/games you want to use...
I don't have frequent crashes, I get occasional crashes usually after sleep wake. If I refresh the finder window it seems to take care of it. Most of the time it wakes fine and runs perfect.

These benchmark scores do translate the open CL apps show compute and or rendering performance (most apple apps), the Uningine and cinebench are for openGL or gaming performance. They are synthetic but do a good job of laying out the capabilities. The Frontier Edition runs the BruceXtest in 12.5 seconds FCPx.

Its similar to the RX 480 in the early Sierra betas. The RX 460 had early support and the RX 480 support came later and progressed nicely. Vega like the RX 460 has its own set of drivers the 1000controller and the 5000kext have 5 different IDs so it looks like full testing support for now. At present we only have 2 of those IDs tested. 0x68631002, and 0x687F1002. That leaves 3 more to go Vega 56 0x68601002? So it looks like at least 2 other Vega cards to go.

Some of these crashes can be related to the software, for example Uningine worked but then after an update it didn't, then the next update fixed it. There are also app compatibility issues, some apps are written for Sierra and may not like High Sierra and the build number scheme. Ive used Nvidia cards in High Sierra gt210, gt710 and have had the same app crash issue, it is random and infrequent but seems to be the safari 11 beta that is causing it for me. Ill load Steam and have my son bang out some games and report.

Update: Steam is working great, Prey on high settings with no crashes on pentium g3258.
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.21.58 AM.png

There's also the 30 bit ARGB2101010 vs 24 bit ARGB88888 color scheme and driver support. I've noticed my pentium which can't get IGPU accelerated graphics will only get 24 bit color and Apps work great, my Skylake gets 30 bit color and has some of the crashes and openGL issues. The 30 bit is more buggy but that is understandable its a newer color platform and the drivers are more complex.

These drivers are changing as are the windows drivers, the card has been out for 2 weeks now it will take some time for the Ubuntu linux drivers to mature and translate to OS changes. I just did a WINDOWS 10 Vega driver update and it upped the compute score (miner update), in a few months we should know what these cards can handle..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.21.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.21.58 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply Gigamaxx. I'd just like to clarify one thing - when you talk about "crashes", what are we talking about exactly? Programs hanging / force quitting? Or full blown system failure and kernel panics?

Thanks for the detailed reply Gigamaxx. I'd just like to clarify one thing - when you talk about "crashes", what are we talking about exactly? Programs hanging / force quitting? Or full blown system failure and kernel panics?

It's usually hanging and force quit issues, no kernel panic freeze. It happens after sleep/wake sometimes it wakes up groggy, other times it runs good.

Hi guys. Any performance improvement on public beta 8?
Does the public beta recognize properly the name of the GPU now?

Hi guys. Any performance improvement on public beta 8?
Does the public beta recognize properly the name of the GPU now?

No it's still RX xxx. Uningine still has issue with anti-aliasing, Audio is good and open CL has droppped a bit as well.

I posted a note on the clover bug report on another site because Clover detects the proper name but injecting ati doesn't inject the correct name.

No it's still RX xxx. Uningine still has issue with anti-aliasing, Audio is good and open CL has droppped a bit as well.

I posted a note on the clover bug report on another site because Clover detects the proper name but injecting ati doesn't inject the correct name.

Thank you for sharing infos.
One more question. I saw that custom Vega are arriving from manufactures, but for example Asus added a dvi port.
So the layout would be different.
Do you think they will work or it's safer to stay with reference layout? Maybe I will go with the 64 liquid because I heard that the Air version is too noise and too hot

Thank you for sharing infos.
One more question. I saw that custom Vega are arriving from manufactures, but for example Asus added a dvi port.
So the layout would be different.
Do you think they will work or it's safer to stay with reference layout? Maybe I will go with the 64 liquid because I heard that the Air version is too noise and too hot

The Asus board should be nice, and quiet. In a couple of days reviewers will be allowed to show benchmarks. I get the feeling it will bench a little better than the reference watercooled and with a little less power consumption.

The port layout (DVI) probably won't make a big difference as the Polaris cards run great with non-reference layouts. With WateverGreenkext and the new clover it's easier to correct port layouts these days so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back