Contribute
Register

Are Sierra and Clover compatible with older X79 builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4
CPU
i7 4930K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I built a machine 2 years ago with an X79 mobo and it runs Yosemite flawlessly, but recently I tried to do a wipe and fresh install first of El Capitan and now Sierra. Neither made it to the OSX installation page.

When I try to boot from my Sierra / Clover USB drive (I followed all installation instructions from the installation guide) I either get constant reboots back to drive selection or I get an OS loading bar that freezes right at the beginning and never progresses.

Is it even possible to run these newer OS's or clover on older hardware? When I installed Yosemite years ago it was with multibeast. My 2nd machine, an X97, had no problems whatsoever installing El Capitan with Clover.

Thanks,
John

Well, i can't help you with your specific problem but as you can see, it is possible to install sierra on older hardware (it runs great btw.)

I get this message when I boot in verbose. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_8244.JPG
    IMG_8244.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 338
I get this message when I boot in verbose. Any ideas?

I know it's hard to get attention on the board.....but I read that using fakesmc plugs on sierra would give KP......

YYR123 is there a way to disable fake smc?

I am not the authority...I have just been reading my way through the forums.

Basically you don't load it in Multibeast....but I am not sure....still trying to figure out the X79/GA-UD5 setup myself for Sierra....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back