Contribute
Register

Are NTFS drives automatically recognized as boot drives in Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
I'm using a 500GB SSD, NTFS formatted, as a sample library (audio snippets) data storage for my Windows 10 and MAC OS X Mojave system and a 2TB NVME, also NTFS formatted, as my main Windows 10.

I'm also using the latest Clover bootloader, and while the data storage only contains sample libraries, which means no actual OS, Clover still displays the SSD as a boot drive, instead of only the NVME and the other SSD which has the MAC OS on it.

Is it normal that all NTFS formatted drives are recognized as boot drives by Clover?

BTW: I'm using the sample libraries with MAC OS, too. Should I use exFAT instead of NTFS if I only read the sample libraries with both OS?

I'm using a 500GB SSD, NTFS formatted, as a sample library (audio snippets) data storage for my Windows 10 and MAC OS X Mojave system and a 2TB NVME, also NTFS formatted, as my main Windows 10.

I'm also using the latest Clover bootloader, and while the data storage only contains sample libraries, which means no actual OS, Clover still displays the SSD as a boot drive, instead of only the NVME and the other SSD which has the MAC OS on it.

Is it normal that all NTFS formatted drives are recognized as boot drives by Clover?

BTW: I'm using the sample libraries with MAC OS, too. Should I use exFAT instead of NTFS if I only read the sample libraries with both OS?

Hi there.

My take on this is that it is not the NTFS files system itself that makes Clover think it is bootable, more likely the partition type of the NTFS drive - MBR etc.

As for using the NTFS as a purely read-only data store, yes that would work and is probably more stable than exFAT would be for a permanently attached drive. However not many people go that route so I think it's purely a choice thing and you are the one doing the testing for the rest of us :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back