Contribute
Register

Are GPU drivers the problem? Catalina vs Resolve 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, for the future you should look at switching to OpenCore from Clover. If you plan to install macOS Monterey when it is released in October/November this year you will probably need to be running OpenCore.

Whether you switch now or in the future is down to you. How much time do you have available to spend learning and building an OpenCore Coffee Lake EFI for you system? You have the basis of the OC folders contents in your current Clover setup. What you will probably find intimidating is the way you need to start with a sample config.plist and make it fit your specific system. This is understandable and not uncommon. The Dortania guides walk you through this process, plus there is a really good Clover to OpenCore conversion guide on GitHub - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion

You should understand that the guides over at Dortania only cover the basics, to get you up and running with OC & macOS. There are a lot more options and features required, that need to be added to the OC folder, if you want your Hack running smoothly.

The reason there is a lack of information about using Clover with Big Sur is mainly due to OpenCore being a more rounded bootloader, which works better (in my opinion), with the newer versions of macOS. This while it is still in Beta mode.

Getting Clover to boot Big Sur required a fudge of the OpenCore setup, as Clover can't boot Big Sur on its own.

The Clover developers incorporated a number of OpenCore aspects within the last few releases of Clover. This did not go well when first attempted, so there was a rush for people to start using OpenCore last year. This coincided with the release of Clover_r5123/r5126, these releases were a complete dogs ear when it came to working with macOS.
Hmmm. I do think I will not really have the time to be honest. Everyone says not to use a Hackintosh as a work machine. And Although video was not my full time work when I started HAckintoshing, it now has become my full time gig. Leaving less time to dive deep into Hackintosh world. And therefore less ability to keep things running smoothly. I have been holding off on it for a long time but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a legit Mac. It's hard, because I'll have to spend quite a lot to get something as powerful as my Hack, but I just can't afford the downtime anymore, and Blackmagic will not give me any techinical support for Resolve (the buggiest software ever!) since they discovered what my machine is. So I'm just going to have to go full professional mode and leave the Hackintoshing to you guys. Thanks so much for all your help. And I certainly will miss the gratifying feeling of this peculiar hobby. My wallet certainly will miss it!

I have been using a Hack as my main work machine for around 6 years. Doing so is fine as long as you know the pitfalls, don’t jump on the macOS updates too fast, ensure you have everything backed up, and are comfortable dealing with the changes Apple throw at us.

Best of luck with finding a Mac as powerful as your hack, without needing a mortgage. The latest Intel iMac or a Mac Pro would be your best option. Not the iMac Pro your current system resembles, as the iMac Pro is 4-years old now and the latest Intel 27” iMacs with a Comet Lake CPU are probably better, but cost less.

I have been using a Hack as my main work machine for around 6 years. Doing so is fine as long as you know the pitfalls, don’t jump on the macOS updates too fast, ensure you have everything backed up, and are comfortable dealing with the changes Apple throw at us.

Best of luck with finding a Mac as powerful as your hack, without needing a mortgage. The latest Intel iMac or a Mac Pro would be your best option. Not the iMac Pro your current system resembles, as the iMac Pro is 4-years old now and the latest Intel 27” iMacs with a Comet Lake CPU are probably better, but cost less.
It's just having the time and know-how to trouble shoot things and fix them as you go. I don't have either of those available. And then not being able to get tech support from Black Magic is a real issue when I'm working on commercial projects. Yeah, I could just not update Resolve, but now I'm working with colourists who have 17 and projects from 16 are not compatible. I've actually just bought an M1 mac mini. They seem to be incredibly good for the money. I'll be editing off a TB3 SSD. and will just be hanging out for the new M1x Mac Pro next year which is rumoured to have a lower price point starting model. But I'll just be saving up for that until it's available.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, best of luck going forward with the Mac mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back