Contribute
Register

Are any High Sierra hackintoshes not compatible with Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you - I'm very curious as to whether it works! Presumably you're using a graphics card with it, so that should tell us whether it really does need Ivy Bridge (or later) or whether all it needs is a Metal-compatible card.
They do, but it needs a lot more work and care (for the legal issues). You need to have a valid license for both High Sierra and Mojave. There are some people Who managed to get Mojave on unsupported Macs. I have succeded in getting Mojave running on an old Nvidia GPU, without Metal support, using techniques and tools developed for unsupported Macs. I am not sure if we are allowed to talk about them on this board, altough I think that we can do it, if we avoid going into illegal things and piracy. So, a tweaked Mojave can run on any Hackintosh that ran Sierra or High Sierra before. But there is some work to be done. But it is preferable to have an old non-Metal Nvidia GPU then an old non-Metal AMD GPU.
Stork knows this method, we met on another board regarding it. So, I am asking @Stork, as a moderator, if it is ok to explain it to you in here. It is fairly easy.

Last edited:
I am not sure if we are allowed to talk about them on this board, altough I think that we can do it, if we avoid going into illegal things and piracy.

The forum rules, including its position on legality, are here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules

If it's not possible to run Mojave on a computer using a legally-obtained version of macOS along with software provided by this site, then it would probably be best for you to just summarize the issues. (Maybe a future version of MultiBeast could add solutions.)

Note, though, that I'm not asking about an unsupported Mac; I'm asking about a pre-Ivy Bridge PC. Generally we fool the macOS installer into running on a particular PC by giving it the system definition of a supported Mac. I'm wondering whether that, plus a fairly recent GPU, is all that's needed to run Mojave - or whether Mojave omits some drivers that a pre-Ivy Bridge system would need.

My hypotheses are (and I m seeking for someone who can proof before I can start trying out on my own Sandy Bridge):

When we hear Ivy Bridge is necessary this is related to several things:

1. to Apple's portfolio because the oldest system they support is at least at Ivy Bridge
2. to the need of SSE4.2 for some ATI graphic drivers (what Sandy Bridge would support)
3. to the Metal capability of on-chip graphic (or driver, I am unsure) (which would not work for Sandy Bridge)
4. to Metal capable graphics card (either directly supported or by Webdrivers (nVidia, please!))

So my hope is my Sandy Bridge (2) + 750Ti will survive as it uses iMac end of 2013 system profile (1) and maybe
nVidia is releasing Webdrivers (4). I would never be able to boot without the nVidia card (3), but that's ok for me.

If this doesn't work, I have to pay some money for an i7-3770k to replace the much better overclockable i7-200k. My board would support this and then I save on board and memory.

Anyone with access to Beta already able to say something about my hpotheses?

BR, Karlson.

The forum rules, including its position on legality, are here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules

If it's not possible to run Mojave on a computer using a legally-obtained version of macOS along with software provided by this site, then it would probably be best for you to just summarize the issues. (Maybe a future version of MultiBeast could add solutions.)

Note, though, that I'm not asking about an unsupported Mac; I'm asking about a pre-Ivy Bridge PC. Generally we fool the macOS installer into running on a particular PC by giving it the system definition of a supported Mac. I'm wondering whether that, plus a fairly recent GPU, is all that's needed to run Mojave - or whether Mojave omits some drivers that a pre-Ivy Bridge system would need.
The solution I am using is based, partially, on the Clover from the Multibeast for High Sierra (Not the the Tonymacx86 standalone Clover or Unibeast) and an app developed for use on unsupported Macs. That app allows, among others, direct connection to Apple servers and downloading, as it seems, the Developer Preview, that is forbidden on this board. Of course, we can bypass that and download Public Beta legit and use the other functions. That tool brings some missing kexts from High Sierra, this is why I said that ia valid license for both High Sierra and Mojave are required, in order to keep it legal.
Important issue: For older hardware like the one I have and probably for yours as well, you need to use the Clover from Multibeast for High Sierra lagacy version on the pen drive, then install over it the latest official Clover package, to update Clover, keeping the tweaks from the Multibeast Clover. I have asked about the differences in settings and tweaks between the HS Multibeast Clover and the rest of Clover editions (official package, the standalone Tonymacx86 Clover builds) but I have not got a clear answer. If I did, we could have edited the boot.plist with TextEdit or Clover Configurator. So, at least for now, we need the Clover I said. Your 2009 hardware will behave, I guess, more or less like my 2008 hardware. Of course, each time a major update will be released for Mojave, the OS would to be re-patched via the installation pen drive, to restore the High Sierra kexts to a working state.
The steps would be, more or less, like this:
1) Download Mojave from legit sources;
2) Erase the pen drive of any trace of a previous installer or Clover to get a clean GPT with HFS+
3) Put Mojave on the pen drive via that tool. It will edit the installer, adding some features required for non-supported hardware;
5) Install Clover from Multibeast on the pen drive;
6) Edit the boot.plist by adding the boot flags you need and to prevent automatic boot from the pen drive (optional)
7) Add on the EFI partition of the pen drive FakeSMC and other required kexts
8) Boot from the pen drive and install Mojave;
9) Before first boot, boot on the pen drive again and edit the installed Mojave on the partition.
10) Boot on the installed Mojave and proceed as usual after that.
That tool Works differently from the system definition editing we do here for Hackintoshes. In here, the Hackintosh is disguised in a certain type of real Mac. I that tool, the unsupported Mac detected is added on the list of supported Macs. You can combine the two like this: 1) First Clover brings a system definition automaticly or used added; 2) That tool adds that system definition into the list of supported Macs. Clover and that tool were not made to work together, but it seems that they can work together really fine, if you are carefull enough.
Until I get a yes or no answer from a moderator, I shall not link the tool I have talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back