Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 4540s
CPU
i5 2450
Graphics
HD 3000
Warning

Flashing the EEPROM is relatively easy, but don't start when you don't know what you are doing! This can basically wreck a working WiFi card. Please think twice before you do this. You are warned!

Backup EEPROM

1. Open attached atheros_eeprom_tool.exe
2. Click Open. Select the location for the backup file.
3. Name it eeprom. Click Open then Read.
4. Close the application.

Note: I didn't use the "write" option. I prefer RCU.

Change RegDomain

1. Download and install "ComView for WiFi" trial. The first time you launch the software you will be asked to install a driver. Do it!
2. Use attached tool RCU.exe to change RegDomain. Select first entry: [DEBUG] [DB] [NO_ENUMRD]. It sets RegDomain to 0x0 (NO_ENUMRD). Click Set.

NOTE: When you close the application, you will be welcomed by a blue screen of death. Don't panic. Reboot.

Before & After

beforeafter.jpg

I do not live in France, but at least the country is set. Open Console. No more athr warning flood!

Attachments

• atheros_eeprom_tool.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,719
  • RCU.exe.zip
    141.2 KB · Views: 2,668
One, correction: do not set the RegDomain to 0x0!!! Yes, this code is for debug purposes, but it also allows to be changed by the OS to whatever it wants. One example: you live in, let's say, France and you have set your router to broadcast the french code, but you have, let's say, 10 neighbours and their routers are set to broadcast the US code (believe me, it's very likely, very few of the people here in Bulgaria has changed this setting to Bulgaria and the stock setting for the most of the routers is US). According to the OS X logic of handling the WiFi regulatory, with RegDomain in the EEPROM, set to 0x0 and neighbours, who are broadcasting the US code, you will get the US regulatory settings for your WiFi card as well, no matter if you are living in France, Germany, Jupiter, Saturn etc.

So, in short: instead of selecting this domain, it's better to be selected the country you are located in (there is a long list with the countries, when you start RCU.exe).

Note for the ProBook users with Atheros 9285 combo card: most of you should have in your EEPROM the 0x60 region code (my card was set to it as well). It is recommended to change it to something else (like I did), your home country for example, otherwise you'll get the above scenario.

More about the Atheros WiFi regulatory you may find here.

I do not live in France, but at least the country is set.

That's because someone around you is broadcasting the french code.

Thanks for the clarification!

For Europe to put 0x6a, will Regdomain ROW. Better not worth flashing speed this does not increase, and the card can spoil.

Hi and Thank you for all of your efforts to reach such a milestone.

Pardon my ignorance but I am rather confused at to making a selection with the regdomain="xxx". I have read and seen so many screen shots and video boot up of hackintosh, showing error 60/69, although it does not effect the performance of the device but the thought that the three line of errors show up is annoying (this is my opinion)

anyway I am currently awaiting the delivery of my wifi card DW1515 Atheros from the US. Because I live in the UK which regdomain shall I choose? I am a bit worried that messing about with the EPROM of the Card that is working absolutely fine apart from showing a silly error message, Might produce a drastic problem in future.
As a mate of mine says, "if you dont have a headache why bother taking pain killers!!"

let me know please

Hi and Thank you for all of your efforts to reach such a milestone.

Pardon my ignorance but I am rather confused at to making a selection with the regdomain="xxx". I have read and seen so many screen shots and video boot up of hackintosh, showing error 60/69, although it does not effect the performance of the device but the thought that the three line of errors show up is annoying (this is my opinion)

anyway I am currently awaiting the delivery of my wifi card DW1515 Atheros from the US. Because I live in the UK which regdomain shall I choose? I am a bit worried that messing about with the EPROM of the Card that is working absolutely fine apart from showing a silly error message, Might produce a drastic problem in future.
As a mate of mine says, "if you dont have a headache why bother taking pain killers!!"

let me know please

When you install the card and run the RCU utility, select UK in the country list and the utility will set the proper region for you.

When you install the card and run the RCU utility, select UK in the country list and the utility will set the proper region for you.

i will do that once I receive the card. By the way you have explained it looks straight forward. Thank u. :thumbup:

WOOP WOOP JUST got my Card, I am gonna get on with it now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back