Contribute
Register

AR9280 ATHR: Unknown locale: xx - EEPROM Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
nguyenmac, Good Man!!!
I followed your step, magically the read section of the Eeprom became active so managed to dump the old eeprom:

View attachment 72757

I am still not able to change the local to UK, the problem is on as before.

Try to run the utility in Compatibility mode, probably Winxp SP3

One, correction: do not set the RegDomain to 0x0!!! Yes, this code is for debug purposes, but it also allows to be changed by the OS to whatever it wants. One example: you live in, let's say, France and you have set your router to broadcast the french code, but you have, let's say, 10 neighbours and their routers are set to broadcast the US code (believe me, it's very likely, very few of the people here in Bulgaria has changed this setting to Bulgaria and the stock setting for the most of the routers is US). According to the OS X logic of handling the WiFi regulatory, with RegDomain in the EEPROM, set to 0x0 and neighbours, who are broadcasting the US code, you will get the US regulatory settings for your WiFi card as well, no matter if you are living in France, Germany, Jupiter, Saturn etc.

So, in short: instead of selecting this domain, it's better to be selected the country you are located in (there is a long list with the countries, when you start RCU.exe).

Note for the ProBook users with Atheros 9285 combo card: most of you should have in your EEPROM the 0x60 region code (my card was set to it as well). It is recommended to change it to something else (like I did), your home country for example, otherwise you'll get the above scenario.

More about the Atheros WiFi regulatory you may find here.

That's because someone around you is broadcasting the french code.

philip_petev, care to comment on this? custom-mac's later clarification seems reasonable to me but im not sure if thats the way Apple wants in their laptops and that if you do not set 0x00 you will get warnings.

Try to run the utility in Compatibility mode, probably Winxp SP3

:banghead::banghead:Hi Still Not PORRSIBLE:banghead::banghead:

This thing is now really annoying me!

Hi I have a question regarding the dumped file:
Can I exrtact information from it? it is of type/format FILE:

:eek:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

Eeprom file type.PNG

Hi I have a question regarding the dumped file:
Can I exrtact information from it? it is of type/format FILE:

:eek:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

View attachment 72762

Surely by having a look at the content of this file I will be able to see which local the card is set to!!!

Did you Run as Administrator?

YES I ALWAYS CHOOSE BOTH, I TRIED TO DISABLE/UNTICK RUN ADMIN AND ran the whole thing. it is still unhelpful!!!!!

This is the card: It was brand new when i received it today:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

I did download another version of RCU from:

http://www.tamos.com/files/rcu.zip

Thinking that there could be an updated version to the RCU.EXE that is provided here, once I ran it claims that the wifi card IS NOT AN ATHEROS CARD!

another RCU.PNG

I am confused now!!!!!!:sick:

Considering that I have provided you with a picture of the card saying it Atheros Card, How does one go about finding out whether their wifi card is atheros or not. any suggestionsss? I am beginning to believe that the RCU.EXE could be right about it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back