Contribute
Register

AR8161 LAN on new MoBo revisions (ga-z77-ds3h and ga-h77-ds3h, others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Tuf Z390 Plus Wifi-2808-OC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
XFX Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys and gals,
I decided to buy the GA-H77-ds3h because it was recommended in the CustoMac Buyer's Guide. Good board overall, installation was pretty easy. However, the problem is that the latest revision of this board (and the Z77 variant) includes a different LAN card than the original. The original had an AR8151 and the new one has the AR8161. Maolj's AtherosL1c doesn't work with the AR8161 so for now anyone who bought this motherboard might be a little angry. I'm not that pissed off about it, because I'm sure eventually Maolj's kext will be updated to work with this networking chip. And I also have a mini-pcie to pciex1 adapter coming in the mail that I will use with my re-branded BCM4322 wifi card. That will be fine while we wait for the new LAN driver. But I don't know if iCloud and MacAppStore will work with it, I'll let you guys know. Does anyone have experience porting Linux drivers to Mac OS? I wanted to get a thread started for other people with the same problem, to make a place for testing and hopefully get in contact with Maolj himself so we can all work together. I don't know if this person has a blog or website, can't find much info about him/her. I saw a few threads with the same issue but they are all dead-ends and don't mention that an actual PERSON made the driver and he/she might not be aware of the issue. So, Maolj, if you are out there, please update us. And everyone else, maybe collectively we can get the ball rolling.

I am hoping the same as I followed a sample build for my first hackintosh and have resigned to order the TP-Link 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N PCI-E Adapter (TL-WDN4800) until a kext update is available.

Exactly the same issue here, though it does looks like I've got revision 1.0 of the MoBo, but the chipset of the NIC matches yours. Unfortunately, everything I've tried has failed and now have to purchase a sep. NIC to get any internet access. Hopefully there is an update!

that card works right out of the box without any drivers.

that card works right out of the box without any drivers.
What card? The build-in NIC? It def. doesn't. In fact, in OSX it doesn't even show up as hardware that I can see. A few others have reported the problem with the change in the chipset for the NIC has caused problems with this MoBo very recently. I was definitely under the impression that it would work seamlessly though!

TP-Link 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N PCI-E Adapter (TL-WDN4800) will work on ml before you use multibeast installation are applied to your computer. After the first boot up of Ml i use my internet to download Multibeast.

TP-Link 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N PCI-E Adapter (TL-WDN4800) will work on ml before you use multibeast installation are applied to your computer. After the first boot up of Ml i use my internet to download Multibeast.

Can you verify that iCloud and App Store work with the add-in card?

Exactly the same issue here, though it does looks like I've got revision 1.0 of the MoBo, but the chipset of the NIC matches yours. Unfortunately, everything I've tried has failed and now have to purchase a sep. NIC to get any internet access. Hopefully there is an update!

Which card did you buy? Wired or WiFi? Personally I'd prefer wired because I have a home media server setup with high bit rate content streaming to various computers my family members use (combination of windows media center with ceton cable tuner and plex). So wifi is too laggy between everyone in the house.
I am enjoying this board though. I might buy an M-sata ssd because it seems like that port is going to waste, and I'm using up all the other sata ports.

Can you verify that iCloud and App Store work with the add-in card?

No it definitely won't, because the Ethernet is not working just for now. I also got the ds3h rev. 1 and FCP X works frickin' awesome with my 3570, AppStore and iCloud aren't though.

Thats why I ordered a RTL8169 Chipset based PCI Ethernet card, which should arrive by Tuesday. Hopefully I will get the AS and iCloud to work as it is a pain in the a** to not have a kext for the ar8161 as of yet. ;)

Just wanted to jump in and say I have the same issue. No ethernet on a Giga Z77-DS3H / i5 3570K build. I am heading out to COMPUSA right now to see if I can find a PCI card that will work.

P.S. I also need firewire. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back