Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Anyone know what method is best to enable TRIM in High Sierra running on APFS? Is the following terminal command still relevant?
Looks from here like the TRIM function is now built into Mac OS. At least on High Sierra and Mojave I never had to do anything to add it, and System Report shows "Trim - yes."

That said, is it still wise to install High Sierra on HFS? I've seen some comments that OS Updates now require APFS... is there any truth to this? Should I stick with High Sierra and APFS or re-install with HFS?

No expert here, but I had HFS+ on High Sierra up through 10.13.6 (Latest build) and liked it much better for the reduced number of storage volumes shown in Clover. I also liked it better because looking at System Report, I could see which volume was "disk0" and which was "disk1." I need to know that when using "EFI Mounter V3 because I have multiple volumes. Using APFS, the System Report readout is totally screwy and that information is not there, on either High Sierra or Clover. You are right that given certain SMBIOS setups, Mojave will not install on an HFS+ volume. But it is hardware-dependent. For instance, I installed Mojave 10.14.5 using SMBIOS iMac 18,3 on an HFS+ volume, but I could not install it using SMBIOS iMac 19,1; I got the error message "this is not an APFS disk" when I tried. Apparently Apple does not allow HFS+ on that hardware.

Looks from here like the TRIM function is now built into Mac OS. At least on High Sierra and Mojave I never had to do anything to add it, and System Report shows "Trim - yes."

Only for NVME drives apparently, those recognize TRIM perfectly fine, but I'm on a 2.5" SATA drive and by default, TRIM is disabled. I've tried enabling TRIM (via terminal command) on my mom's MacBook Pro with an Intel SSD with High Sierra installed (APFS) and the system was spazzing out every now and then (mind you the SSD was old as dirt).

Given that, I'm hesitant on what to do with my Hackintosh w/ High Sierra 10.13.6 w/ 860 EVO and APFS.

I don't care much for the partition stuff as you mentioned in the second portion of your comment, the other partitions are not a bother for me; I see them once on boot about two to three times a month and that's about. I have Windows on a secondary drive in a hot swap bay with power switches that is mostly turned off anyway (no need for it to be powered on when not in use) so my system is fairly vanilla. That said, partition stuff for me doesn't cause conflicts.

Back