Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

So, I believe I have solved it. I used Disk Utility from the Recovery Partition and that works as expected. So, if you really need Disk Partition to work, boot into the Recovery Partition and use it there. There it works.

No, I need no help installing Windows. As noted in a previous post, once I swapped the MX300 with a Sandisk Ultra, Windows installed just fine.

No, I'm not a geezer who does not know what they're doing....but if you all want to do that forum thread, get to it, and all the best. But as for me, I'll pass.....
Was not implying you are. Just musing about the lesser cognizant and older of us. Was also not implying that you needed help windows, other than my intense distaste for it. All off topic. Sorry for the offense.

Was not implying you are. Just musing about the lesser cognizant and older of us. Was also not implying that you needed help windows, other than my intense distaste for it. All off topic. Sorry for the offense.

Not offended......no worries......

Hey, @vulgo:

So, the HID Legacy Shim 2 error usually just hides the real error, which is typically, but not always, "...waiting for root device", meaning, as I understand it, a problem with the Kernel (Darwin, right?).

Is there any way to access the failed drive from a known good working drive, and then try and relink the kernel? Because the drive mounts on my X99 APFS system, and I can access it, but I just can't boot from it. Somehow, I think the kernel is not linked to the boot process, but I don't know how to relink it remotely.

No it won't boot at all - not in single mode, not in normal mode, not in any mode. I've tried every mode that is possible in Clover (if you press the spacebar). But if I connect it via USB or Sata on my working X99 APFS system, I can access it.

Any thoughts?

Is there any way to access the failed drive from a known good working drive, and then try and relink the kernel?
You can check if the mounted volume is bootable with
Code:
sudo bless --info /Volumes/imacOS2
To copy boot files and do APFS things
Code:
sudo bless --folder /Volumes/imacOS2/System/Library/CoreServices
Take a look at 'man bless'

You can check if the mounted volume is bootable with
Code:
sudo bless --info /Volumes/imacOS2
To copy boot files and do APFS things
Code:
sudo bless --folder /Volumes/imacOS2/System/Library/CoreServices
Take a look at 'man bless'

So, the first command you offered told me everything I needed to know: (and of course!)

Bdrive:imacOS2 mm2margaret$ sudo bless --info /Volumes/imacOS2
The container for this APFS volume doesn't appear to have a preboot volume

So, yes, Disk Utility will let you convert a bootable HFS+ drive to a APFS drive, but it will be non-bootable. Disk Utility will not create the preboot volume that macOS systems running APFS must have to boot the system.

Thank you, @vulgo!

I will make one more comment: I think it is incredibly lazy and sloppy programming on Apple's part to offer a utility that "converts" a bootable drive and "converts" it to a non-bootable state.

I will make one more comment: I think it is incredibly lazy and sloppy programming on Apple's part to offer a utility that "converts" a bootable drive and "converts" it to a non-bootable state.
Not just lazy.

Anything changed in the latest APFS regarding checksum and 3rd party ssd's ?
Or why people using apfs here ?

Arguments:
--license, prints the user license agreement only.
--agreetolicense, agree to the license you printed with --license.
--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).
--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.
--installpackage, the path of a package (built with productbuild(1)) to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.
--eraseinstall, (Requires APFS) Erase all volumes and install to a new one. Optionally specify the name of the new volume with --newvolumename.
--newvolumename, the name of the volume to be created with --eraseinstall.
--usage, prints this message.
--volume, path to the target volume.

--converttoapfs seams to be gone ?

Last edited:
I use it just fine. I also use trim as well. Using multiple brands from Samsung to crucial. Not seeing anything that’s I’ve seen reported here.

Anything changed in the latest APFS regarding checksum and 3rd party ssd's ?
Or why people using apfs here ?

Arguments:
--license, prints the user license agreement only.
--agreetolicense, agree to the license you printed with --license.
--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).
--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.
--installpackage, the path of a package (built with productbuild(1)) to install after the OS installation is complete; this option can be specified multiple times.
--eraseinstall, (Requires APFS) Erase all volumes and install to a new one. Optionally specify the name of the new volume with --newvolumename.
--newvolumename, the name of the volume to be created with --eraseinstall.
--usage, prints this message.
--volume, path to the target volume.

--converttoapfs seams to be gone ?

I use it just fine. I also use trim as well. Using multiple brands from Samsung to crucial. Not seeing anything that’s I’ve seen reported here.
Tghank you, I cloned yesterday my HighSierra to another SSD and upgraded it to Mojave. Besides some applications are reported as deprecated anything is fine.

The most annoying part is that Safari no longer supports all extensions I use.
Heck I havent even found an AdBlocker which lets me add custom rules or simply select items to block on a page ? Is there any ? And at its best free? Same with JavaScript blocker, I havent found any. Last but not least Tampermonkey, a JavaScript runner.

If it stays like this I predict that alot people like me will stop using Sarafi :/

Back