Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Ahh. I thought there were still issues with APFS+Trim on NMVE drives, but maybe that has cleared up?

SATA devices are not NVMe.
SATA devices, TRIM optional.
NVMe devices, TRIM default/not optional.

Ahh. I thought there were still issues with APFS+Trim on NMVE drives, but maybe that has cleared up?

Sorry, I don't know anything about any NMVE related issues. Im using 3x Crucial MX300 750GB SSDs (CT750MX300SSD1) which is not NMVE-drives. Those work just fine with APFS, but does not have trim support according to System report (I have not investigated this further).

NVMe drives are working well in PCs/Hackintoshes. Your choice.

I was running High Sierra on APFS for a couple of days with 512gb Samsung EVO850. The whole OS worked great! Before that, I was testing Sierra with +HFS and it was significantly slower.

<>snip<>

Eventually, I had to kiss goodbye to APFS and reinstall High Sierra with +HFS :( I'm using it for the last 36 hours and honestly, it works absolutely the same as with APFS... Or at least that's what I've concluded so far.

Am I reading this right?
Sierra + APFS = faster
High Sierra + APFS = same like HFS?

I had a speed hit on my High Sierra system with Samsung 960 Evo in read/write speeds with Blackmagic when formatted to APFS. As far as I'm aware, general recommendation is still HFS+ with an NVME drive.

@Stork:

I've got an odd problem, and it's directly related to APFS.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 and the drives on it are HFS+. It's on 10.13.6. If I try and format any drive for APFS, I can't. The format won't complete and the drive is left in an incomplete state and won't mount. If I use my X99 that is 10.13.5 and is also now APFS, I can backup (from a HFS+ drive volume) and restore onto an APFS drive (formatted on the 10.13.5 system), but it won't boot on the Z370. My old least favorite error: HID legacy shim. Remember, HFS+ drives boot fine.

Now here's what's strange. I also have an X99 board that was HFS+. It's on 10.13.5. I converted all drives to APFS, using the process listed above - just reformat the system drive as APFS, then do a CCC restore from an HFS+ volume (at first). No issues, boots fine. In fact, my backup clones I converted just like as I've described, and they all booted. No issues.

So, I have a real Mac, and its on 10.13.6. I took one of the portable drive clones (USB) and plugged it in there and formatted it there as apfs, and it completed properly.

Right at this moment, I am doing a restore from an HFS+ volume via CCC to the newly Apfs formatted USB volume, the same process I used successfully to convert all the drives on my X99 system to APFS. I'll let you know if it worked, and if I can boot an APFS drive running 10.13.6 on my Z370 (or not). I'm beginning to believe there really is some issue with APFS and this Gigabyte Z370 board (and yes, BIOS is up to date).

But I now have a more serious problem. Clearly, I have an issue with my Gigabyte Z370 Hackintosh, as both my X99 Hackintosh (on 10.13.5) and my real Mac (on 10.13.6) will format a drive as APFS successfully, but my Gigabyte Z370 will not.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Maybe it’s an optain memory issue since I think those boards were coming with it.

@Stork:

I've got an odd problem, and it's directly related to APFS.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 and the drives on it are HFS+. It's on 10.13.6. If I try and format any drive for APFS, I can't. The format won't complete and the drive is left in an incomplete state and won't mount. If I use my X99 that is 10.13.5 and is also now APFS, I can backup (from a HFS+ drive volume) and restore onto an APFS drive (formatted on the 10.13.5 system), but it won't boot on the Z370. My old least favorite error: HID legacy shim. Remember, HFS+ drives boot fine.

Now here's what's strange. I also have an X99 board that was HFS+. It's on 10.13.5. I converted all drives to APFS, using the process listed above - just reformat the system drive as APFS, then do a CCC restore from an HFS+ volume (at first). No issues, boots fine. In fact, my backup clones I converted just like as I've described, and they all booted. No issues.

So, I have a real Mac, and its on 10.13.6. I took one of the portable drive clones (USB) and plugged it in there and formatted it there as apfs, and it completed properly.

Right at this moment, I am doing a restore from an HFS+ volume via CCC to the newly Apfs formatted USB volume, the same process I used successfully to convert all the drives on my X99 system to APFS. I'll let you know if it worked, and if I can boot an APFS drive running 10.13.6 on my Z370 (or not). I'm beginning to believe there really is some issue with APFS and this Gigabyte Z370 board (and yes, BIOS is up to date).

But I now have a more serious problem. Clearly, I have an issue with my Gigabyte Z370 Hackintosh, as both my X99 Hackintosh (on 10.13.5) and my real Mac (on 10.13.6) will format a drive as APFS successfully, but my Gigabyte Z370 will not.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Back