Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

there are ways to make installer not auto convert (well if those still hold true in release version anyways)
Stay on 10.12 as a safeguard against any surprises e.g. minor updates.

But when will the changes be reflected in the Unibeast and Multibeast tools found on this forum's download page? When will they be built in?
MultiBeast v9.2.1 for Sierra will not work on an APFS formatted drive. We're working on the Uni/Multi- Beasts for High Sierra as I post this. We'll have new guides for the early adaptors when the HS release is announced.

However, an olde coaches saying is, "Don't rush to fail!" So, unless your masochistic, I'd wait for the HS announcement dust to settle. :thumbup:

However, an olde coaches saying is, "Don't rush to fail!" So, unless your masochistic, I'd wait for the HS announcement dust to settle. :thumbup:

Or the other old saying, "hold your horses young man." No one rides a horse anymore these days so it probably won't mean much to the younger members. Waiting is not crowded, try getting into the line.

/off-topic: I'm fairly certain Hans Reiser murdering his wife contributed to ReisferFS demise as well.

/off-topic: Certainly won't have helped. But in my former job as a '*NIX-sysadmin-for-rent' me and my colleagues would steer well clear of ReiserFS for fear of its bugs biting us in the backside. The murder didn't influence our decision making process all that much in that respect :)

Sorry for being out of the hackintosh picture for a while. I am wondering if anyone has try this method to stay on HFS+ on their SSD.
-clone SSD Sierra to a mechanical drive. (SuperDuper/CCC)
-upgrade Sierra on machine drive to High sierra to stay on HFS+
-clone High sierra back to SSD.

assuming it works, will weekly EFI check from Apply going to silently convert your hack to APFS?

So this may be obvious but what about systems with multiple drives? does this change the non boot drives to APFS? what about a mix of ssd and non ssd drives? I have three ssd and three non ssd drives in my system.

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything that addressed this so if anybody knows do share

Thanks

So this may be obvious but what about systems with multiple drives? does this change the non boot drives to APFS? what about a mix of ssd and non ssd drives? I have three ssd and three non ssd drives in my system.

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything that addressed this so if anybody knows do share

Thanks
I've read a post from someone claiming the APFS conversion automatically occurred to other macOS/HFS+ formatted SSDs during install, and I've read posts that it won't. The safe thing until we get definitive answer is to disconnect any macOS/HFS+ formatted SSDs during the install, IMO.

I've read a post from someone claiming the APFS conversion automatically occurred to other macOS/HFS+ formatted SSDs during install, and I've read posts that it won't. The safe thing until we get definitive answer is to disconnect any macOS/HFS+ formatted SSDs during the install, IMO.

That is something I'm worried about. People that Dual Boot with older version of OS X i.e Mavericks 10.9.5 & High Sierra converting all drives to APFS. Id recommend unplugging all the other drives.

Sorry for being out of the hackintosh picture for a while. I am wondering if anyone has try this method to stay on HFS+ on their SSD.
-clone SSD Sierra to a mechanical drive. (SuperDuper/CCC)
-upgrade Sierra on machine drive to High sierra to stay on HFS+
-clone High sierra back to SSD.

assuming it works, will weekly EFI check from Apply going to silently convert your hack to APFS?
Just don't update if you want to stay on an HFS+ SSD. The firmware check won't convert your drives, updates might.

Last edited:
Back